Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Tempus35
Level 1
Level 1

Computer is freezing constantly, but randomly

Post by Tempus35 »

So my computer has been freezing randomly. I will be programming, surfing the net, or other activities and it will do a hard freeze, ie I have to cut power and restart it. I have tried reading logs etc, but I never can seem to find an issue. For instance it froze at 3:03 today, in the logs it goes from 15:00 to 15:04 with nothing in between.

Sometimes the computer will run for hours and be fine, sometimes it is minutes. I have run hardware test on all the hardware, they call come back fine, including memory, hard drives, video cards, processors, etc. I would really like to find the issue, for nothing more than just knowing it. It has been annoying me for a time.

Any help would be nice. I have add the output of the one command I saw someone else ask before below.

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx

System:    Host: fugit35 Kernel: 3.13.1-031301-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV635/M86 [Mobility Radeon HD 3650] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV635 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.7 Direct Rendering: Yes

tato11
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Computer is freezing constantly, but randomly

Post by tato11 »

hi Tempus35,

I had that exact case on my Asus laptop for months and it happen to be the RAM memory.

I buy that laptop a couple years ago along with 8GB faster RAM to replace the 4GB RAM that it already included. That new RAM worked perfectly for more than a year but then the laptop started to freeze randomly, and just like your case, sometimes were minutes and other hours specially when gaming but when programming or doing any miscellaneous activity too. It didn't matter if I was using ubuntu, kubuntu or windows (yes, I had a dual boot to play some games and was before I decide to use Mint :p).

It was really strange actually, because I tested the RAM for days when the issue happens with no fail, but once I replace that RAM with a new one to match the factory RAM speed the issue disappeared. Although, after all my research I really recommend to check other things like the graphic card driver and hard drive status before replacing the RAM because those things could easily cause an issue like that and it would also be a really expensive test replacing the RAM with no success warranty :S ; If you have a dual boot and this issue only happens on linux, then I don't think that the issue is related to a hardware failure.

I hope this info help you and good luck.

Return to “Hardware Support”