Battery Calibration

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pobesneli Mrmot

Battery Calibration

Post by Pobesneli Mrmot »

Hi everyone. I have a huge problem, which I need solved ASAP, so if there is anyone who can help, I would be very gratefull.

So, I am running Acer Aspire 7739z, and recently I switched to Linux Mint, and also, did some repairs on the trusty old machine. One of them was getting a new battery, but the problem is that battery is not charging at all. I have researched around the web, and it seems that the solution is recalibration of the battery, but I cant find a way to do this.

Please, can anybody help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Battery Calibration

Post by jungle_boy »

Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Pobesneli Mrmot

Post by Pobesneli Mrmot »

Thanks for your reply. I was hopping to avoid instaling Windows again now that I managed to escape from it... But, if that needs to be done, so be it..
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

You are welcome.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
TroyFoxxin

Post by TroyFoxxin »

Pobesneli Mrmot wrote:Thanks for your reply. I was hopping to avoid instaling Windows again now that I managed to escape from it... But, if that needs to be done, so be it..
Not so be it. I do this and completely windows free.

Assuming it has some charge you can unplug it. Let it run till it die. (you should be able to disable certain functions of power management while its unplugged. At lest I can in KDE, I dont use any of the other enviroments)

Try to turn it on again (without pluging it in)
Put it in BIOS let it sit till it dies. Repeat this as much as you can till it wont turn on at all. Wait 30 minutes to an hour. Do it again (All without pluging it in)
Make sure its dead as a door nail.
Plug it in but dont power it on, give it atlest 6-8 hours to charge. Hell plug it back on leaveing it off before bedtime.Let it charge while you sleep.
Check it out in the morning.

All the charge data is stored on the battery not the OS. if it where you run into allot issues if you ever had to reinstall an OS or when switching to another OS.
So I find using software to cycle a battery not really needed.all it dose is tell the computer to put a load on the battery and drain it.

Infact I am due to do the same for my laptop. It likes to bounce between 97-99% and say that its charged. So i need to Cycle my battery.
If this dont work I say the battery is defectived. If windows somehow fixes it I would be like ok "confused?" :lol: if my method fails which is what the software dose.
all software programs do is force drains the battery, and then recharges like normal. (that im aware of anyways)

Also do some research on installing Windows onto a USB Flash drive if the laptop supports USB Flash drive Booting.
That way can put all windows based testing programs onto it and just toss it into a drawer when you dont need it.
It can become useful if your line of work or something else annoys you into haveing to use windows for a shrot time.
Can come in handy if you ever need it without having to wipe your hard drive.

Have a good one
cliffskoog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cliffskoog »

TroyFoxxin's advice worked like a charm for me, and the bit about the info on the battery chip was interesting. Just remember in Power Settings to have the computer shut-down NOT hibernate when the battery gives up, or you might have a hard time getting it booted again. Thanks, TroyFoxxin.
arielbarkan

Post by arielbarkan »

Thanks TroyFoxxin!
Solved my problem.
:D

Return to “Hardware Support”