Which laptops seem stable and have minimum issues with Mint?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Which laptops seem stable and have minimum issues with Mint?

Post by qhris »

Hi all,

Just starting to do some research before I buy a new laptop. Right now I am using a HP pavillion DV7 which is a few years old, and has served me very well but it has an AMD HD4XXX series video card which thanks to AMD has become obsolete.
This makes upgrading to newer systems next to impossible without making compromises.
I'm thinking along the lines of an i7 processor and Nvidia type card. Definately not AMD, and possibly another HP unit as this one has performed very nicely with no issues. Anyone have any input on this? I'd like to hear your experiences whether good or bad too so that I may avoid any pitfalls. I'm too old to learn by trial and error now :roll:

Also do the tablets readily accept Mint as an OS or is there an alternative reliable OS out there? I'm no fan of android or google but the size and ease of keeping a tablet handy for travelling looks appealing.

Thanks, Chris.
WendyM
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Which laptops seem stable and have minimum issues with M

Post by WendyM »

I've had good luck with various Acer models. The only thing that ever presented problems was the microphone for Skype, but I prefer to use a headset with built-in mic for that anyway.

Are you buying locally? Some shops are okay with you trying out a LiveCD, so long as it's a professional imprint (something that comes with a magazine and isn't labelled with a plain marker).
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

I never thought of the live cd. I'll have to give it a try though. I could see some local stores being aprehensive and probably against a live cd though. I think I would be if it were me. I've found that when it comes to Linux, most computer store employees know very little or nothing about it. I wonder how a linux store would do in this area :)
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

I have a HP notebook running fine with LM16, with proprietary driver, see my signature.
Dell Inspiron 5480, Quad-core, Core I5 8th Gen, Geforce MX 150,
LM 20 Cinnamon
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I recommend Dell Inspiron i3 N4050 all the way :D there are other Inspirons with Ubuntu stickers on them but I haven't tried them but N4050 has 0 issues with Linux Mint and this series has been tested on Ubuntu BTW:D :D Actually it has 0 issues with all Linux distros :D

and.be00
Level 1
Level 1

Post by and.be00 »

My experience as a noob with LMDE.
At work i have an hp elitebook 8440p and the only problem i had was the blinking wifi led. Easy to solve. i also added a samsung ssd and works perfectly.
My home laptop is a tiny toshiba sat t130. After 4 years of intense use it still works greatly and battery last 4 hours. As many toshiba, there was a problem with screen brightness regulations but that was also easy to solve.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

try either Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Hardware Support”