Will my Samsung SSD work without its "Magician" software?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rogerthat1945
Level 2
Level 2

Will my Samsung SSD work without its "Magician" software?

Post by rogerthat1945 »

Hi all, noob here.
I also am using an SSD with LinuxMint 16 x64 (on i7 3D Dynabook). Samsung Pro 128Gb.
But.... its software "Magician" does not install. No linux version.

Hoping am not hi-jacking the thread.

Can anyone advise if my SSD will continue to work ok, or is there anything I should do?

All I did was install from the Linux download ISO after a format of the SSD.

The SSD is still Magician partitioned (10% swop file partition?) from when Windows 7 was on it (and I came to Linux as neither Microsoft nor Toshiba would honor the laptop `Japanese` W7 licence for Windows as it was `out of the Toshiba 1-year warranty` [I bought it in Japan (no Japanese download ISO avaialbe anywhere)]), and that `partition` is now Blank in Linux Drive manager.

As I say, I am a noob, and there are literally thousands of conflicting informations out there.

But it does run very clean atm.

Hope this is not a hi-jack. Just wondered.

Linux drive benchmark said 4.5 ms average. It would not let me do a write test.

SSD on a home laptop is ESSENTIAL if you have young children. No more worries if they hook the cable running round the table. :D :D
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=135012. New questions deserve new topics.
zolar1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Will my Samsung SSD work without its "Magician" software

Post by zolar1 »

Yes it will work fine. I use a 500GB evo samsung.

Depending on how you use your computer would depend on how often you need to run fstrim.

To run that command open a terminal

sudo fstrim -v /home
press enter
put in your password and press enter

Magician software is useful for firmware upgrades and other windows related optimizations.
Linux doesn't usually need those.

HOWEVER, if your drive is new, you might want to use a windows box, install the software and get the first firmware upgrade before installing linux to it.

When partitioning the drive, watch for partition alignment. Meaning skip the first 1mb of the drive and try to create partitions that are divisible by 4096 bytes.
The last partition or the end of a single partitioned drive doesn't usually matter. But the starting point does.

If you fail to skip the 1st 1mb of the drive you will experience really annoying slowdowns when anything writes to the drive.

If you tried running that fstrim command and it is not there or not found or won't run, you can get it from your package manager (synaptic in my case).

Windows 7 can automatically create the approrpriate partitions for you and the right way if you don't want to try it yourself. Even if windows formats the partitions, not to worry. Just keep the partitions and use linux to merely reformat the partitions into (generally) ext4 or whatever you choose.

But don't delete the partitions, simply reformat them.

Windows 7 will do trim automatically but in linux you either have to do it manually (I do mine about once a week or so in linux) or figure out how to do a 'chron' job to do it for you.

About fstrim and swap partitions. From whatg I read this is not necessary to do on swap partition. I read that swap does it automatically.
Most times it will be the /home but you can do / or other partitons if desired.

here is something to read about SSD's:
http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-prop ... d-dmcrypt/
Freedom isn't free. It has a HIGH price.
rogerthat1945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rogerthat1945 »

zolar1 wrote:Yes it will work fine. I use a 500GB evo samsung.

Depending on how you use your computer would depend on how often you need to run fstrim.

To run that command open a terminal

sudo fstrim -v /home
press enter
put in your password and press enter

Magician software is useful for firmware upgrades and other windows related optimizations.
Linux doesn't usually need those.

HOWEVER, if your drive is new, you might want to use a windows box, install the software and get the first firmware upgrade before installing linux to it.

When partitioning the drive, watch for partition alignment. Meaning skip the first 1mb of the drive and try to create partitions that are divisible by 4096 bytes.
The last partition or the end of a single partitioned drive doesn't usually matter. But the starting point does.

If you fail to skip the 1st 1mb of the drive you will experience really annoying slowdowns when anything writes to the drive.

If you tried running that fstrim command and it is not there or not found or won't run, you can get it from your package manager (synaptic in my case).

Windows 7 can automatically create the approrpriate partitions for you and the right way if you don't want to try it yourself. Even if windows formats the partitions, not to worry. Just keep the partitions and use linux to merely reformat the partitions into (generally) ext4 or whatever you choose.

But don't delete the partitions, simply reformat them.

Windows 7 will do trim automatically but in linux you either have to do it manually (I do mine about once a week or so in linux) or figure out how to do a 'chron' job to do it for you.

About fstrim and swap partitions. From whatg I read this is not necessary to do on swap partition. I read that swap does it automatically.
Most times it will be the /home but you can do / or other partitons if desired.

here is something to read about SSD's:
http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-prop ... d-dmcrypt/
Thank you for that `zolar1`. Much appreciated.

I ran sudo fstrim and it said; `95268241408 bytes were trimmed`.
(95+-billion?)

That should do until May, when LinuxMint 17 is released. I yam confident that will be a major stepping stone for Linux across the Western world (and the Microsoft timewasters know it).

P.S.
Anyone out there reading this and using Microsoft Windows 8. A WARNING regarding Windows 8.1 UPDATE.

Do you know that if you bought a Disc version of Windows 8 and do the Microsoft advised UPDATE (one of many of the hundreds of MS updates), and Update to Windows 8.1, that when you do that `Update` it stops your Windows 8 disc working to Recover/REFRSH your system. The MS update renders your W8 disc USELESS.

...and Microsoft give you the middle finger after that. They just tell you to re-install everything from scratch. Im our case on one computer, that is 275gigabytes to hive off and do a full re-install from scratch and re-build the drive.
MS just toy with the public. They must think we will all be forever mugs.
zolar1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zolar1 »

I too get a lot to trim once in a while. Most of it is due to huge amount of temp files and other things that I use the computer for.

Running the trim command makes writes faster (marginally), but not reads.

I am waiting for the SSD makers to auto trim without OS intervention. Now that would be a wise decision.

Ideally you would want an ssd drive and traditional drive.

Put all temporary items on the platter drive and things you d/l & move around.

SSD's are pretty well suited for stagnant information that does not move much along the lines of a cd/dvd rw here.

While placing temp stuff on the platter drive will slow down day to day operatings a bit, the benefitts are less wear on the ssd and more uniform operational speed.
If you go into firefox settings you can select to turn off drive caching. This will speed things up a bit with a few exceptions as it places things in ram instead of writing to the hard drive. The caveat is that your frequently visited sites will have to refill the cache each time.

Currently I use Mint 13. I tried 16, but it was AWFUL. Features missing, BSOD's, etc.

Even Mint 13 has a lot of problems (freeze ups when disconnecting from wifi and sometimes other freezeups)

I have yet to find any operating system that has decent security AND all the other features.

An interesting feature issing from every operating system is the ability to detect,prevent, and spoof java/javascript from gleaning your true IP & MAC addresses nor prevent browsers from ccessing your files.

Linux still is not automated enough for the typical computer user. And not enough GUI's to adjust the 'ennerds' if you will.

We also need a better browser than firefox, opera, chromium. One that is based on anonymity and safety. Geolocation is automatically enabled in those as well as other security vulnerabilities.

Mozilla is becoming too 'corporate' and I am afraid that linux is too.

I wonder when linux will run browsers and programs in a sandbox?

And no linux comes 'ready-for-ssd' meaning you still have a lot of adjustments to do to enjoy the speed you paid for. Like tmpfs, noatime, scheduling on the fly (without command line anything). Actually Linux doesn't even work with USB3. It tries but fails miserably. If you are lucky you get USB2.0 speeds. And still Linux doesn't handle GPT natively. That too requires finesse and most times it won't work.

Command line is linux's greatest weakness for most, including me. People in general are lazy and don't want to fool with some obnoxious syntax just to do something they can point and click and select what they want to do. Linux is not 'human oriented' like winjunk is. It is still geek oriented from the perspective of server admins and business use.

I predict that soon, we won't need hard drives or operating systems. All we will have are terminals (amazing the droids and pods ARE terminals). And everything will be stored and accessed from the cloud, including PRIVATE information. Nothing will be safe from the scrutiny of corporations and governments or criminals.

You might want to 'ixquick' or 'startpage' linux SSD tweaks.

Other things you could search for is drive encryption. Of course this slows down things a bit.

Sheesh. Just had 2 freezeups in a row with mint 13.

Anyway, with proper tweaks your ssd will perform quite well.

Linux is great as a internet tool. Windows is great as a gaming system and most other things.

The benefits of an ssd are apparent in either OS.

Oh, if you use some programs daily, you might want to get preload from the repo.
rogerthat1945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rogerthat1945 »

zolar1 wrote:I too get a lot to trim once in a while. Most of it is due to huge amount of temp files and other things that I use the computer for.

Running the trim command makes writes faster (marginally), but not reads.
I am waiting for the SSD makers to auto trim without OS intervention. Now that would be a wise decision.
Ideally you would want an ssd drive and traditional drive.
Put all temporary items on the platter drive and things you d/l & move around.
I like the idea of auto-trim. But there must be a techie reason, or otherwise it would be being already implemented?
In software think thats almost what Samsung Magician software does when it sets its partition in windows (but it doesnt work in Linux yet). Maybe putting the TRIM into the drive stops the SSD working on some Operating systems? IF thats the case, maybe they could do a few versions of the SSD; one for MS Windows, and one SSD for Linux etc...or (more simply) a button on the SSD to switch from MS systems to non MS systems as per you get on a mother-board BIOS by Asus now?

zolar1 wrote:SSD's are pretty well suited for stagnant information that does not move much along the lines of a cd/dvd rw here.

While placing temp stuff on the platter drive will slow down day to day operatings a bit, the benefitts are less wear on the ssd and more uniform operational speed.
If you go into firefox settings you can select to turn off drive caching. This will speed things up a bit with a few exceptions as it places things in ram instead of writing to the hard drive. The caveat is that your frequently visited sites will have to refill the cache each time.
I reduced firefox caching down from 350Mb to 100Mb as there is no offf switch, unless I reduce it lower down to zero... but the SSD can handle some.

zolar1 wrote:Currently I use Mint 13. I tried 16, but it was AWFUL. Features missing, BSOD's, etc.

Even Mint 13 has a lot of problems (freeze ups when disconnecting from wifi and sometimes other freezeups)
Not sure. I only thought about Linux a while ago as a definite main OS. And I installed LinuxMint 15 for two hours and then I found out version 16 was on the roll anbd did an immediate re-install. This laptop had a couple of glitches, but far less than Windows 8 or Win 8.1 had on this i7 laptop (which origionally came with W7 pre-installed); but it seems to fly along nicely now. Windows 8 and W8.1 used to make this laptop BSoD if I thouched the keypad, even for a split second. Now its fine with this installed.

zolar1 wrote:I have yet to find any operating system that has decent security AND all the other features.

An interesting feature issing from every operating system is the ability to detect,prevent, and spoof java/javascript from gleaning your true IP & MAC addresses nor prevent browsers from ccessing your files.
I must admit I do tend to get banned from excercising free-speech on some news-sites; where they log users I.P. address. I enjoy a bit of poking issues to see what they are made of.
zolar1 wrote:Linux still is not automated enough for the typical computer user. And not enough GUI's to adjust the 'ennerds' if you will.
No disagreement here. I hope for more of that in the next release in May. LM v17.
zolar1 wrote:We also need a better browser than firefox, opera, chromium. One that is based on anonymity and safety. Geolocation is automatically enabled in those as well as other security vulnerabilities.
Mozilla is becoming too 'corporate' and I am afraid that linux is too.
I wonder when linux will run browsers and programs in a sandbox?
I agree, I do have some quirks with firefox on Youtube (double screen within a screen flashing), but mostly it functions regular.
As for `Sandbox net` Japan used to do that, on the mobile phone companies when we emigrated there around 5-years ago. But they broke free of that three or four years ago. The customer base eventually wins out.
zolar1 wrote:And no linux comes 'ready-for-ssd' meaning you still have a lot of adjustments to do to enjoy the speed you paid for. Like tmpfs, noatime, scheduling on the fly (without command line anything). Actually Linux doesn't even work with USB3. It tries but fails miserably. If you are lucky you get USB2.0 speeds. And still Linux doesn't handle GPT natively. That too requires finesse and most times it won't work.
I did have an initial issue trying to install as the SSD was set up as GPT from when I had windows on it. I only use it while watching Tv though. My main gaming PC`s are W8.1
zolar1 wrote:Command line is linux's greatest weakness for most, including me. People in general are lazy and don't want to fool with some obnoxious syntax just to do something they can point and click and select what they want to do. Linux is not 'human oriented' like winjunk is. It is still geek oriented from the perspective of server admins and business use.

I predict that soon, we won't need hard drives or operating systems. All we will have are terminals (amazing the droids and pods ARE terminals). And everything will be stored and accessed from the cloud, including PRIVATE information. Nothing will be safe from the scrutiny of corporations and governments or criminals.
Command line is still as strange to me as DoS was on Windows 95. I just copy what I see on web sites that seem legit.
As fro "The Cloud", I repeatedly write in News comments that it is just a way for the USA to thieve all the inventions and designs of people across the world. Thats all skydrive is and all that.
EDIT: SEE this article that might help??? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ously.html
Also; any PC I use for writing/drawing/designing concepts/designs I dont connect to the net now. Its like handing over your life savings to the Yanks every-time you plug in these days. no wonder so many people are driven to heading into the mountains (metaphorically). Actually we [wife/family] did move into the mountains; but thats another story).
zolar1 wrote:You might want to 'ixquick' or 'startpage' linux SSD tweaks.

Other things you could search for is drive encryption. Of course this slows down things a bit.

Sheesh. Just had 2 freezeups in a row with mint 13.

Anyway, with proper tweaks your ssd will perform quite well.

Linux is great as a internet tool. Windows is great as a gaming system and most other things.

The benefits of an ssd are apparent in either OS.

Oh, if you use some programs daily, you might want to get preload from the repo.
I will check those out after finding out more on LM V17. Don`t want to do the job twice.

At least people are peeved with governments for saving images of all their wifes and daughters flashing their kinckers for the past 10 years on skype and the rest of the spyware out there. The government peepers may end up with some serious beech-slaps in the years ahead for permitting sneaking into the average publics home.

Anyway, I was working on something till gone 2-in the morning. Will rest now.
Enjoy.
zolar1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zolar1 »

Ever look up the definition of paranis schizophrenia?

Apply that definition to the governments of the world. A precise match.

This is why people need to be very cautious with their computers.

I am using a Samsung EVO, 500GB, SSD. It is supposed to be self encrypting from what I read. I doubt it. I wonder what happens if that is true and you encrypt the drive in linux and encrypt again with truecrypt. 3 layers I suppose and probably slow the system down too much. The most secure item I found was ironkey. It purportedly self destructs when analyzed.

About the topic - I used Magician software. It is OK for firmware updates. It can optimize windows registry to attain better SSD speeds and for some maintenance issues.

Why does any SSD want you to disable preloading of things is beyond me.
I use preload to get programs to load faster than other less important things. Of course I have no control over it's inner workings, but it seems to work well.

As far as trim breaking others computers - that most likely isn't true unless you run a raid or some non standard setup.

One ssd can saturate a bus. What is a raid for then? 4 can't saturate any more than one can.
Best guess is for raid 1, 5, or 10/01 for data preservation. Perhaps LM -home and LM business could be dispersed?
I went to one site that let you build your own linux. You placed c heckmarks by the things you wanted and it auto added everything you needed into a package. Desktops, extra programs (to a point), if you want office or not, etc. You then D/L the ISO and you were in business. THAT is a wonderful idea. But I didn't like the distro they had for it's core and now can't remember the site.

About IP logging and banning. There are a plethora of ways around problem. Amazing that businesses want to micromanage just like governments do. Things like filtering/blocking, recording everything you do (burger king and KFC do this as examples), etc. Other companies like CricKet record everything you do - period. And they won't tell you and neither willthe MFR of the hardware they use. You get the 'keep silent or else' excuse from them meaning they aren't allowed to tell you about anything. This goes back to not needing a hard drive soon. Everyone would be forced to put everythig on the internet for scrutiy by businesses, governments, and eventually criminals (aka your neighbors too).

Some use your MAC address, others a -ahem 'permanent' flash cookie to enforce bans.

More on Magician - no one actually knows what the software does since it is closed source. It could instill permanent spyware on your drive. Or the drives could come that way wiht it built in. And with all the laws that force you to be gagged when they obtain information, is anything on an ssd really any safer than a traditional hard drive?

You can't trust anyone anymore I'm afraid.

On a side note:
ALL security erasure software for SSD's is doing it wrong.
They all write zeroes. And generally once.
The only correct way is to write all 1's, and do it 4 times in a row. That will set the drive back to factory condition (all 1's, 4 deep so to speak).
zolar1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zolar1 »

paranis = paranoid

sheesh. dyslexic fingers....
rogerthat1945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rogerthat1945 »

zolar1 wrote:paranis = paranoid

sheesh. dyslexic fingers....
I still have faith that it is better to have an educated customer base (to prevent companies/governments getting away with spying); otherwise humanity will revert to becoming two speicies; and that breaks a whole lot of laws.

People will just move to countries where you can have security. I mean look at what Europe is doing and Asia is talking about. Having a seperate Internet from the USA; or at least a parallell one. Obviously the CIA and MI6 types will try and do a crossover link to keep up with the spying; but at least it makes it criminal, and there is `the Hague/Strasbourg` etc..

The pendulum generally swings back to bite wayward governments; and not just via the vote booth.

Anyway; I still can`t get Magician working with LinuxMint 16, but there does seem to be a Linux driver/bit of software within it, as files are names Linux.
One Doc within the file seems to indicate that a future version of Linux will work with Magician, and I am expecting that to be LinuxMint 17.
I like some automation.
zolar1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zolar1 »

Ever watch the movie by George Orwell titled "1984"?

As long as there are lazy parasites in society, and there are MANY, the pendulum won't swing back to freedom for who knows how long. And the longer it takes to swing back to true personal freedom, the more blood has to be spilled to do it.

You could do a chron job and have it auto trim for you.

If I am not mistaken linux uses chron for severalthings anyway.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

This has to do with the topic on hand, however if the Moderator team feels I need to create my own thread, just say so.

I have 2 of these Samsung 840 EVO SSD's, the newest being the 250GB model, which dual boots Windows 7 & 8. The one that I had (120GB), am going to install Mint 17 to it as soon as it's released. Can I run the manual TRIM option for the MInt SSD from my Windows 7 or 8 with the Magician software?

Just wondering, since both SSD's are of the same brand.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
rogerthat1945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rogerthat1945 »

catilley1092 wrote:This has to do with the topic on hand, however if the Moderator team feels I need to create my own thread, just say so.

I have 2 of these Samsung 840 EVO SSD's, the newest being the 250GB model, which dual boots Windows 7 & 8. The one that I had (120GB), am going to install Mint 17 to it as soon as it's released. Can I run the manual TRIM option for the MInt SSD from my Windows 7 or 8 with the Magician software?

Just wondering, since both SSD's are of the same brand.

Cat
I wish I knew....

I managed to install the Magician software in Linux; but it doesn`t work. The Samsung web site does mention its compatible with Linus; but HOW? I even tried through using WINE Windows emulator, but thats a no-go also.

Return to “Hardware Support”