Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Erminaz
Level 1
Level 1

Broadcom bcm4313

Post by Erminaz »

Hi,

I just installed the newest Linux Mint 16 Petra on a dell dell inspiron n5040 laptop. This laptop has a Broadcom bcm4313 wifi card, that I cannot get to work.

When I activate the "bcmwl-kernel-source" in the additional drivers config, the wifi-network is shown as turned off, and I cannot turn it on.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Broadcom bcm4313

Post by The-Wizard »

did you activate it using the additional drivers application? did you try and do it manually ? if so did you get the right driver [there is both a 32 and 64 bit driver in the repository]? did you search Broadcom 43XX there are loads of thread and solutions on the boards, did you read the forum rules? no then please post the results of terminal command .. inxi -Fxz to give us information on your machine.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
Erminaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Erminaz »

Yes, yes, lsmod said yes, yes.

Some bcm43xx work on one driver, some on the other, the bcm4313 seems to work only at full moon.
I tried the iw driver, that supposedly now supports the bcm4313. I tried the brcmsmac driver, I then even tried the brcmsmac from Ubuntu backports. I made sure only one driver is in user.

I don't have the laptop here right now, I cannot run inxi right now. Sorry.

It would help a lot, if someone can just point out which driver is the right one for the bcm4313 card.
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

connect to the internet by ethernet, go. menu, all applications,driver manager, let it search to select best driver, highlight use this driver and confirm, hopefully it will work for you. it always has for me, and i have 2 laptops with bradcom 43++ wi fi cards, the only diffrence is one is a 32 bit machine running mint 15-32 bit [bc driver bcmwl-kernel-sorce:i386] and the other mint 15 -64 bit [bc driver bcmwl-kernel-sorce] there are other bcm drivers in the repository for hybrid chip sets.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
Erminaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Erminaz »

That's what i did. Does not work.
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

then im afraid you will have to wait for someone with more expertise than i to make a suggestion

sory
wizard
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Take a look at here:

https://wiki.debian.org/wl
https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

It's for Debian, but it might be useful too :wink:

Also, you might wish to read our posts here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=109498

Yes, it's Debian again, but you never know, it might work!
LMDE Mate

Return to “Hardware Support”