Asus UX302LA Zenbook doesn't recognize it's own screen?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ak1213
Level 1
Level 1

Asus UX302LA Zenbook doesn't recognize it's own screen?

Post by ak1213 »

Hello, I've been having an issue setting up Mint 16 on my new Zenbook

After booting from grub, the screen displays nothing, yet the system runs normally, because I can hear startup sounds, and the volume keys make noise when I press them, as if everything was okay.

It is not an issue of the backlight not being on, because well, it is on. It just doesn't display anything.

More notes:
-When connecting to an external monitor via HDMI, the other monitor displays everything just fine.
-Also, the second monitor is set up as if it is actually a second monitor, and the integrated one is working just fine. (The taskbar is not displayed on the second monitor, and the mouse can disappear into the dark void that is supposed to be the integrated screen). Only thing that makes this more weird is that windows show up in the middle of the SECOND monitor, like the startup help thing and shut down options menu, instead of the blank laptop screen.
-I am currently writing this post on the laptop, booting up with nomodeset. Obviously, I don't want to have to do this because it's software rendering and it's slow and lowers the battery life a lot.
-I tried installing the intel graphics drivers. A lot. No fix.

So basically, when it tries to boot up with the HD4400, it doesn't recognize it's own screen? I'm not sure, but would love to hear some opinions.

For good measure, here are some of the specs
ASUS UX302LA-BH15T08
Intel i5-4200U with Intel HD4400
The screen is a touch-screen IPS panel, maybe something about it confuses Mint, I don't know.
4GB RAM
500GB Hybrid HDD

Please let me know if there's anything else I could provide to narrow it down, and thanks to everyone in advance!
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Asus UX302LA Zenbook doesn't recognize it's own screen?

Post by bobafetthotmail »

Others were having issues with that HD4400 and kernels older than 3.12. Mint 16 has kernel 3.11.

Since you have already found out how to boot with nomodeset, I would try updating kernel manually as explained here (just download 3 packages and install them, nothing hard) http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/ (Can also install lower kernel versions if you want, just search for similar posts in that site)
Then when rebooting and you chose to boot with the newer kernel, you can remove the 3.11 kernel and dependencies from Synaptic to free up space (and avoid confusion).

As a general piece of advice, most linux open-source drivers are in the kernel. Updating drivers is much easier with a kernel update.

Also, most of the stuff mentioned here can apply as well https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=177296
Yes it's Arch but most of their settings are about kernels or components that all linux distros have.
ak1213
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ak1213 »

Beautiful!

The 3.14 kernel didn't work (same error)
But 3.15 RC4 did just fine.

Thanks a lot!
dbetz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbetz »

I just bought an Asus UX302LA and am not even able to get a Mint 16 USB stick that I created a while back to boot even using nomodeset. I still get a completely blank screen after selecting the kernel from the Grub boot menu. I see from the messages in this thread that others have had success with this Asus laptop but I'm getting no indication that the boot is progressing beyond Grub. Has anyone tried this with an Asus UX302LA-BHI5T08 from Best Buy?
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

you seem to have the same problem as the OP. He said he connected an external screen to see things and that it was working with nomodeset (while main screen was still black).

From the thread I linked they say you can see stuff on main screen with i915.modeset=0 as kernel option, but OP did not comment on this so I don't know.

Then you need to update manually the kernel to 3.15rc4 or newer as the OP so you will have the right drivers for Intel GPU.

Note that the issue is temporary, once linux distros start using kernel 3.15 or higher by default (within a year or so) there will be no more need to do these tricks.
Newer hardware is always a bit slow to get decent support in Linux. :D
dbetz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbetz »

I'm not sure if I have the same problem as the OP as I don't hear the Mint startup sounds or any indication that the system is doing anything after selecting the kernel to boot in the Grub menu. One thing I'm not sure of is what BIOS settings I need to change. All I've done so far is turn off the Windows Boot Manager. Are there other settings that need to be changed as well? For instance, in the "Security / Secure Boot" menu there is a setting for "Secure Boot Control". Should that be disabled? I'm hesitant to change too much because I want to be able to return this laptop if I can't get Linux running on it.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, Secure Boot is a feature that does not allow the device to boot "unauthorized" operating systems. Since Microsoft is the company that devised the Secure Boot system and sells the keys only to "trusted" entities... most linux distros won't boot if it is turned on. Turn it off. (Afaik only Fedora has bought a key, but had to close the source of their kernel to keep their key safe)
more info here http://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to- ... cure-boot/

Disabling BIOS options is not dangerous for the hardware (as long as you are not overcloking or working with voltages). At most you disable something that was needed by OS and it will fail to boot. You can always force a restart, go into BIOS again and switch it back like it was before.

Then you can follow what has been done in this thread to make it run. Don't erase WIndows, just resize its partition, install mint in a new one and leave the laptop in multiboot (can choose if booting WIndows or Mint every time you turn on) for a while.
dbetz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbetz »

Thanks. I guess I'm out of luck in that case because it doesn't seem to be possible to disable the Secure Boot option in my BIOS. That line can't even be highlighted. Is there some laptop that I can buy that supports Mint without having to worry about video drivers that aren't supported by the kernel? I know I can buy laptops with Linux already installed but they seem to be more expensive than their Windows counterparts even though Linux is free and Windows requires a Microsoft license.
dbetz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbetz »

I found another article that described how to turn off secure boot. You have to disable all of the keys rather than just turning off the Secure Boot option directly. That along with nomodeset got me past the blank screen although X won't come up and I end up in a console prompt. I'll try installing a more recent kernel to see if that lets me come up in the graphical interface. Thanks for your help!
dbetz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbetz »

While I can now boot using nomodeset, X fails to load and I get the mssage "no screens found" and am dropped to a command line prompt. Is there a way to get X to use some sort of compatiblity mode so that I can get the GUI up to allow me to install Mint on the laptop hard drive? Or is there a way to do the install from the command line prompt?
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

When booting from the usb or dvd don't let it boot automatically, press arrows when there is the mint boot screen countdown, this will open a boot menu, then select "boot Mint in compatibility mode" or something like that.

You can also try to connect the laptop to another screen. As the OP said, linux has issues in using the main screen but can use a second screen.

then after you installed you need to use nomodeset again to get a graphical interface so you can update the kernel manually (although this part is easy to do even with just text interface).

EDIT: in case you don't see the mint boot screen with countdown, use another program to make the USB drive installer, I use YUMI http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/
or Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/
All times I tried Unetbootin I was disappointed.
Last edited by bobafetthotmail on Sun May 18, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbetz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbetz »

Thanks for trying to help but I'm afraid I'm still having trouble. I tried plugging in an HDMI monitor and now I get no output on either screen even when booting in compatiblity mode with nomodeset added to the boot args. What laptops work best with Mint? Are there any currently available laptops that are known to work with minimual tweaking?
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

you also tried i915.modeset=0 instead of nomodeset? (from the thread linked above)

ANother thing you can do: remove the hard drive from the laptop, connect it to a PC, install Mint into it from another PC (that won't have stupid issues this laptop has), boot from it when still in the PC, then update kernel.

Then you can move the hard drive again in the laptop and boot from it. And should no more give issues.

EDIT: it seems this laptop is a bit difficult do dismantle to get at the hard drive. You need to install Mint on a USB drive from another PC, boot from this usb drive while still in that PC, update kernel, make a partition copy of the mint partition (which means you boot again from a live-cd, and then you can install and use the imaging program to copy it), then boot the laptop from this Mint in the USB drive, and "restore" the partition image inside a new partition of its internal hard drive. The program you can use to make partition images is gnome-disk-utility from software manager.
Agterwards you need to install grub to the hard drive by installing and running this tool https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair (you can do through command line but it's easier this way).

While it may sound strange, doing something like this is not a problem for a linux system. I install the same system images on wildly different systems and have no issues.

For that matter, even most Windows 7 installations don't react badly if you install them in a PC and then move the drive (or partition) to another PC.

Return to “Hardware Support”