Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alley Oop
Level 1
Level 1

Is swappiness even an issue anymore?

Post by Alley Oop »

With today's computers high amounts of RAM does the swappiness setting make any difference?

For instance I have 8 GB of RAM, 8 GB swap partition and the swappiness setting is still on the default 60. Would lowering it to 10 make any difference at all?

Everything I can find searching is at least a few years old and probably does not apply anymore.
Self-built
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM DDR2 1600 MHz
Nvidia 450 1 GB
MB - ASUS M3N HT Deluxe
LG 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 (16:9)
LM 17 64 bit (Mate)

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is swappiness even an issue anymore?

Post by clfarron4 »

Some people still report a noticeable performance improvement with swap, but I stopped using it altogether years ago because I didn't notice any difference with 3GB or more of RAM.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

With 8GB running Mint it probably won't make any difference. Are you ever using any swap right now ?

Code: Select all

free -m
clfarron4 wrote:Some people still report a noticeable performance improvement with swap, but I stopped using it altogether years ago because I didn't notice any difference with 3GB or more of RAM.
Same here, running at 3.5GB (0.5GB reserved for graphic card).
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

That's a good question Alley Oop. Although with 8G of ram you may not be using swap much - if at all. I have 3.5 G of ram (32bit) and find swap is used often (using GIMP,VBox and browser) so I set it at 10. Some instructions become obsolete in time as kernel changes can make them so. Not sure if there is a reliable demonstration/test to see if it is indeed effective. I just figured it was one of those things that may help but didn't harm either.

Alley Oop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alley Oop »

No, I'm not using any swap right now.

I'll have to check again after I install VBox. I agree with you Palo. I may as well set it to 10 to see if there is any difference, that is if VBox cause any swap usage to begin with.

Don't get having a swap partition confused with the swappiness setting which tells the system how much/often to use the swap.
Self-built
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM DDR2 1600 MHz
Nvidia 450 1 GB
MB - ASUS M3N HT Deluxe
LG 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 (16:9)
LM 17 64 bit (Mate)

Return to “Hardware Support”