Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse Scroll Wheel Simulation

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dye-red

Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse Scroll Wheel Simulation

Post by dye-red »

I've found many instructions for Ubuntu 12.04 but none of those methods seem to work on newer releases anymore.

How have you configured the mouse for Scroll Wheel simulation?

Also, I have a set of Logitech USB S-150 speakers that don't play audio on Linux (but work fine on Windows 7). How can I enable audio to go through them?

Thanks!

Mint 17.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dye-red

Re: Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse Scroll Wheel Simulation

Post by dye-red »

Found the solution here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Logit ... emouse_USB

Had tried it before but forgot that I was using the USB-to-DIN adapter so it wasn't being controlled as a USB device.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it to work with the adapter ....

Steps that worked for me:
  • Locate the existing xorg.conf.d directory: locate xorg.conf.d | grep d$
    In Ubuntu 14.04, it is located in /usr/share/X11/

Edit 50-marblemouse.conf in that directory. (Note: Do not create your own xorg.conf.d directory as it can disable your keyboard and freeze X. Create the 50-marblemouse.conf file if it does not exist, however.)

Update the InputClass section of 50-marblemouse.conf using one of the example configurations below.
    Logout and restart X, or reboot.

If editing 50-marblemouse.conf does not work, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead. The remainder of this section refers to this as the X Configuration File.
  • Button 1 - Normal left mouse button.

Button 2 - Single click is back; press and hold to scroll freely horizontally and vertically.

Button 3 - Single click is next.

Button 4 - Normal right mouse button.

Button 1 and Button 4 - Middle click.
Add the following text to the X Configuration File:
  • Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Marble Mouse"
    MatchProduct "Logitech USB Trackball"
    MatchIsPointer "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9"
    Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
    Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection
Hope someone else finds this useful.

Now how about some help with my speakers?
LinuxFerg

Post by LinuxFerg »

Hello: please forgive me if my question seems very elementary.

I am also trying to get my Logitech Trackman Marble to have a scrolling feature.

I looked at this webpage for instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Logit ... emouse_USB

But I am confused about which file to edit. I do not have a file called 50-marblemouse.conf in /usr/share/X11. So should I create this file? If so, is there a website that gives instructions on how to create such a file? The above Ubuntu help webpage says that "if editing 50-marblemouse.conf does not work, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead.

Could someone please advise me as to which path to take?

Thank you very much in advance!!!
LinuxFerg

Post by LinuxFerg »

OK, nevermind. I just solved my own question. According to the page

http://askubuntu.com/questions/473608/h ... iddleclick,

creating the 50-marblemouse.conf file messes things up, and they suggest editing 50-evdev.conf. This suggestion works for me, and now I'm happily using my Logitech Trackman Marble.
Ekkon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ekkon »

dye-red wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 pm I've found many instructions for Ubuntu 12.04 but none of those methods seem to work on newer releases anymore.
I raise this topic from the dead as it still (Jun.2021) seems to be an ever-standing obstacle in Linux Mint 20+ (Cinnamon 64 Bit).

1) Is there a way to emulate scroll on Logitech Trackman Marble (T-BC21) - famous "8" or "9" button tweak?
2) Is there a way to emulate scroll using a keyboard shortcut i.e. [CTRL]+[Alt]+[Mouse ball movement] (because that would also work for me)?

None of the previous "XORG.conf.d" modifications and inputs, as well as "Terminal tweaking"suggestions, seem to work in Linux Mint 20+. So, I'm pretty much stuck with you guys here.

Any kind soul that can do some good on this? :(
T313C0mun1s7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by T313C0mun1s7 »

Ekkon wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:37 pm
dye-red wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 pm I've found many instructions for Ubuntu 12.04 but none of those methods seem to work on newer releases anymore.
I raise this topic from the dead as it still (Jun.2021) seems to be an ever-standing obstacle in Linux Mint 20+ (Cinnamon 64 Bit).

1) Is there a way to emulate scroll on Logitech Trackman Marble (T-BC21) - famous "8" or "9" button tweak?
2) Is there a way to emulate scroll using a keyboard shortcut i.e. [CTRL]+[Alt]+[Mouse ball movement] (because that would also work for me)?

None of the previous "XORG.conf.d" modifications and inputs, as well as "Terminal tweaking"suggestions, seem to work in Linux Mint 20+. So, I'm pretty much stuck with you guys here.

Any kind soul that can do some good on this? :(
+1, Ditto, Whatever -- I cannot seem to get this to work on Mint 20.2 (Uma)
Torquemada
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Torquemada »

Half an hour ago I did follow the procedure for "Ubuntu 18.04 and newer" in the above linked web-site ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Logit ... emouse_USB ) and added scroll wheel function (on button 8) without any problem. I use Linux Mint 20.2 Uma.

Return to “Hardware Support”