Help installing Samsung Printer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JF007

Help installing Samsung Printer

Post by JF007 »

I've done a search to see if there are any guides but can't seem to find one for Linux Mint.

I have the Samsung Xpress M2022w printer and need help installing it to run in Linux Mint 13 Maya.

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JF007

Re: Help installing Samsung Printer

Post by JF007 »

Just to update, the printer is switched on and showing in "printers" this is what I see.

Yet it doesn't print, even with "print test page". Any ideas on what is needed to make the printer work?
JF007

Post by JF007 »

Never mind, after searching the web I've managed to fix this and the printer is working, there is no point in having these Linux mint communities if people are going to view posts and not offer help as I'm sure someone viewing knew how to add a printer. But cheers anyway!
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon »

Hello JF007. You say that you got the printer to work but not how you did it. I'd be grateful if you could provide more information, as I have exactly the same problem, have downloaded any number of drivers and spent days on the web but have had no joy.

If anyone else could help it would be much appreciated.
JF007

Post by JF007 »

beacon wrote:Hello JF007. You say that you got the printer to work but not how you did it. I'd be grateful if you could provide more information, as I have exactly the same problem, have downloaded any number of drivers and spent days on the web but have had no joy.

If anyone else could help it would be much appreciated.
Only just seen your post but i'll post the method incase someone else gets stuck.

Go here http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/prin ... M2022W/XEU and download the linux driver (to download folder).

Extract the package (to download folder) and once extracted open up Terminal.

Copy and paste:
cd Downloads && tar xvzf ~/Downloads/ULD*.tar.gz

Press Enter.

Copy and paste:
cd ~/Downloads/uld

Press Enter.

Copy and paste:
sudo sh install.sh

Press Enter.

Then using your arrow keys browse through the samsung terms which appear in the terminal window until you get to the end and then you will be given the option of Y or N. Type Y and press enter.

Then the driver should be installed, then go to add printers, select your samsung printer from the list and search for drivers and mint should automatically find the driver and job done!
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon »

Thanks JF007. It was good of you to post a reply. I spent literally weeks attempting to solve the problem and paid two computer experts on different occasions for help. The charges were far more than the printer itself. They were unable to succeed, but I kept at it, and somehow managed, just by sheer chance, and I have no idea whether your method would have done the job had I seen it earlier. However, I'm glad if it will help others, and I may need it at some stage if anything goes wrong.
JF007

Post by JF007 »

beacon wrote:Thanks JF007. It was good of you to post a reply. I spent literally weeks attempting to solve the problem and paid two computer experts on different occasions for help. The charges were far more than the printer itself. They were unable to succeed, but I kept at it, and somehow managed, just by sheer chance, and I have no idea whether your method would have done the job had I seen it earlier. However, I'm glad if it will help others, and I may need it at some stage if anything goes wrong.
Thats scary that these computer "experts" couldn't help you and sorry I never saw your message earlier as 100% the method posted would have worked as we both have a new samsung printer and the linux driver is a unified one, but for new printers you have to install the driver manually.

Also there is also another way as when you install a samsung printer, you will see a list of all the different models and if you get lucky you can find a different model, which if you select will allow you to use that printer as i also tried that method first and that also worked but that is trial and error as for 99% of the printers you select, you will get a message that says "please use the correct driver"....and I wanted the printer installed correctly!

Anyhow shame you had to waste cash as I'm sure there are people on here with deep linux knowledge who can solve these issues quickly and really someone should have helped you when they saw your post.
kevin.carbonaro

Post by kevin.carbonaro »

Perfect! :)

Many thanks for the solution. I just downloaded the driver for my networked samsung printer ML3710ND, extracted and ran the command as in your post. In just 10 seconds flat I was printing.
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon »

I know this goes a long way back, and perhaps I should open a new topic. However, it is really a continuation of this one. I found the suggestions of JF007 very helpful, and I have followed them again in trying to re-install the same Samsung printer (M2000w). I must have downloaded the driver 20 times, but I finally got the message that the same drivers were already installed. So I can use the printer when wired, but I simply can't find a way to go wireless, although I have spent days on making the effort. I wonder if JF007 or someone else can help. I am using LM 18.3
Thanks.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I located the driver for that Samsung printer at HP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... l/17157283

I do not believe that HPLIP supports this printer or I recommend trying that. Looks like the old posted install instructions are still relevant. You'll need to restart CUPS after install. Also, you'll need to have the printer already attached to the network via WiFi. That sometimes requires use of the USB connection and a direct setup of the printer (often from Windows utility). If that's done, use the Printers app from Menu - Administration and ADD the printer using Network and the IP address for host as a try.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I do not believe that HPLIP supports this printer
I wondered why you said that; as following the link you gave us leads to Samsung's ubiquituous ULD driver; (universal linux driver): they don't seem to have updated it since last September so we assume it still is fine; it seems that if one unpacks the compressed package; and thus is revealed a uld directory; inside that is an install.sh script that does a printer install; and a scanner install; if the device is MF
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Since HP is hosting support for the printer, it might follow that they would also support it with their HPLIP linux product (HP Linux Imaging and Printing). However, I cross-checked and don't see it listed on their support page for HPLIP.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index

That's why I said "I do not believe that HPLIP supports this printer", i.e. I'm distinguishing between HP the company and the HPLIP product for printer/scanner.

I assume the download dated for September 2017 has a good chance of working with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Mint 18.x.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks; I just clicked on the link you kindly posted; that took me to the uld driver;

many printer companies say they "don't support" and I have always assumed that means you can't ring up and spend time on a helpline; they provide drivers fine; and the drivers install and work well; instead guidance/support comes from linux threads or forum members ... so WELL supported!!!
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon »

Many thanks for the comments. I have followed the instructions in several threads, including this one, and it is true that the best way to download the driver is from the HP site. I have done that so have the proper driver. I have been able to use the printer with USB. The problem is that I cannot find a way to use it wirelessly, although I have spent endless hours trying to do so. I am certain that there is something simple that I am missing, as I have connected the same printer wirelessly before on the same computer.
There is one difference. My download speed has been something in the region of 0.99megs. I am within sight of a cabinet with fibre optic connections, but my telephone line is connected to a cabinet four kilometres away, and BT refuse to do anything to help. I found a company willing to connect me via mobile signals, which has helped a good deal. I wonder if that makes a difference, although I should mention that I have an HP printer that works perfectly wirelessly even under the new conditions.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

If the printer has a WPS button and your WiFi router supports WPS, you might be able to connect the printer to your network using that method. Once connected, a sign-on to your Router should provide IP address for the printer.

Going through the manuals suggested that method as available.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... t_here.htm
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon »

Thank you ClixTrix. Your reference produced the fastest and quickest connection I have achieved. Alas, I am still looking for a wireless connection. My previous router had a WPS button, but this one apparently does not, so that method is ruled out.
I appreciate your help.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

The alternative method in the documentation is to run the CD Setup utility from Windows/Mac using the USB-cable connection.

Edit: I found a possible Linux version Samsung Printer Setup Utility and it is still available. I downloaded the gz and looked in the package. There is a wirelesssetup folder with an install.sh to run from Terminal with su. Don't know if will work with your printer, but it is a possibility. This link is where I discovered the utility.

https://ro-che.info/articles/2014-04-21 ... nter-linux
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon »

Thanks once again ClixTrix. I'm sorry not to have replied sooner. I'm not having much luck, but I am very grateful for the citations. I keep getting messages: 'command not found', but I feel certain that eventually I shall succeed. I'll let you know when I do. (By the way, my earlier comment noted the 'fastest and quickest' connection, when I meant to say 'easiest and quickest'.)

Return to “Hardware Support”