[solved] US.utf8 causes driver install issues

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mangar

[solved] US.utf8 causes driver install issues

Post by Mangar »

Ok I have have trying to install drivers for the past week or so, also new to linux completely.

I have noticed fgrlx driver screw up the desktop and I needed to remove them from crashing Cinnamon.

After several installs watching closely the warning could not find US-utf8 support or local files? like in usr/ Blah blah blah

So I looked at older post download the driver from AMD and tried to run it and got'

Could not open /home/mypc/Downloads/ati...
taller-9-3-x86_64.run using the unicode
(utf) character encoding

So all my trouble the past week or so is US-utf8 support and missing file locals???

How do I reinstall or fix the UTF thing? Thank you!

Wondering if encrypting the HOME folder screws everything up from a default install not being able to find stuff correctly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
adonis69

Re: US.utf8 causes driver install issues

Post by adonis69 »

There must be a conflict during installation.

Try to reinstall and everything will be ok.

Make sure you will wipe out the hard drive before you install again.

Encrypting the HOME folder is not causing any problems. Mostly we encrypt it if there will be more than one user for the computer so they wont see the folder, only the Administrator (Super User/ Root) will be able to.
Mangar

Re: US.utf8 causes driver install issues

Post by Mangar »

adonis69 wrote:There must be a conflict during installation.

Try to reinstall and everything will be ok.

Make sure you will wipe out the hard drive before you install again.

Encrypting the HOME folder is not causing any problems. Mostly we encrypt it if there will be more than one user for the computer so they wont see the folder, only the Administrator (Super User/ Root) will be able to.
Thanks I did over a dozen installations over the last week on 5 PCs, I lost count :roll: . I kind of got it down to a science now and installing what things I want. My problem was trying to get blood from a stone. Doing all those driver installs and stuff made a mess of my files, driver installs over other drivers, removing and installing others. :shock:

I have to bite the bullet and throw the towel in. The card is to old, ATI don't support it for a year or so, XP drivers wont work, and the CD drivers I have are mostlikely no good anyway. I looked on NewEgg and the card goes for $3.99, so xorg drivers will help me limp till I can fork over the cash for an upgrade stuff after my Honey Do list is completed. :lol:

Fact if windows does not support hardware neither does the manufacture, what right do we think Linux is a fix all, ... True! :oops: :wink:

SOLVED >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=111527 purge locale file archive

Return to “Hardware Support”