Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
eindinhander
Level 1
Level 1

945GSE/atom, ultra slow 3D, hair puller

Post by eindinhander »

HP mini 1116NR. Maya 13

I understand the drivers "work better" on windows. Thanks intel.
I understand it will only support openGL 1.4. I'm ok with that.
Gotten all the GTK, DRI, amber lamps, wifi drivers, finally all working/installed (I think...)

Tried various games. Got some installed, most don't run. Most didn't install (btw native linux stuff.) Got vendetta online to run, with 4 fps... Others telling me they get 18+ with a 965 (both using 915 drivers/similar hardware?) anyway. Just seems to be a problem instead of slow hardware. Loaded up dos box, it can hardly stand SEAWOLF or Elder Scrolls Arena. Aka more simple engines than orig dooms...

I check display in system information

Code: Select all

Res: 1024x600
Vendor: The x.org Foundation
v: 1.11.3

Extensions:
ALL EMPTY (problem?)

Vendor: Toungesten Graphics
Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945 GME x86/MME/SSE2
Version: 2.0 Mesa 8.0.2
Direct Rendering: Yes

roff@eleeb ~ $ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

roff@eleeb ~ $ find /dev -group video
/dev/fb0
/dev/video0
/dev/dri/card0
/dev/dri/controlD64
/dev/agpgart

roff@eleeb ~ $ glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Where do I start here? Been an m$ head until 2 days ago. I didn't want dosbox because ms, but I figured it would deliver a good fps at least. Don't want WINE, wanted to be native about it. Help appreciated.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 945GSE/atom, ultra slow 3D, hair puller

Post by xenopeek »

According to HP website, that netbook has an Intel Atom Processor N270 and that has an Intel GMA 950 graphics core. I'm not immediately sure the GMA 950 driver is the problem though; this netbook has a single core processor running at 1.6 GHz and has 1 GB RAM maximum. Could you give us some more system information? For that please open the terminal application, type the following command and press enter: inxi -Fxz

Copy the output here; you can copy from the terminal through it's Edit menu. If you don't see a menu, first right-click inside the terminal window and choose to enable the menu bar.
eindinhander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eindinhander »

xenopeek wrote:According to HP website, that netbook has an Intel Atom Processor N270 and that has an Intel GMA 950 graphics core. I'm not immediately sure the GMA 950 driver is the problem though; this netbook has a single core processor running at 1.6 GHz and has 1 GB RAM maximum. Could you give us some more system information? For that please open the terminal application, type the following command and press enter: inxi -Fxz

Copy the output here; you can copy from the terminal through it's Edit menu. If you don't see a menu, first right-click inside the terminal window and choose to enable the menu bar.
Cool,

System:    Host: eleeb Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 (Gtk 2.24.10) Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP Mini version: F.10
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 361A version: KBC Version 02.0E
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 361A0 Ver. F.10 date: 12/25/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3192.08 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.0 Mesa 8.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: ec00 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 16.4GB (52.3% used) 1: /dev/sda SanDisk_pSSD_16G 16.4GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 15G used: 8.0G (60%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.09GB (9%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 398.2/992.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33 
Even just going around a browser, opening tabs, moving things. It's as if drivers were not installed if were a win machine, that's how it feels ya..

As far as processing power, I've tried old software that a bird brain and 9v could compile, just to try to rule out bottleneck anywhere.
eindinhander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eindinhander »

Ok, I found out from internets that glxinfo should display a line that says

direct rendering: Yes
Why it isn't is unknown to me. Researching it more. If anyone knows, please shout it! Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I've not been able to find any recent topics about this; but many older topics on the Ubuntu forums are all about people having trouble with 3D acceleration with the G945 chip series. Perhaps the situation is better in more recent Linux Mint release (e.g., Linux Mint 17). Is there a reason you specifically took Linux Mint 13 instead of 17?

You could possibly also improve the situation on Linux Mint 13 by installing a new kernel and graphics stack. For example using xorg edgers (can be unstable!) https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+arc ... er=precise, but read the instructions for Ubuntu 12.04 carefully! (the base for Linux Mint 13)

I don't know if that will help though; I haven't found anything about that or any solutions for G945 and Ubuntu 14.04.

At the end of the day though; this is a netbook—very limited hardware making it underpowered... Don't expect more than it can do.

Return to “Hardware Support”