Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jh0nny
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] The Razer mouse saga

Post by jh0nny »

Hi guys, I've decided just recently to move from windows to a linux distro, Mint. I have a Razer Deathadder with something like 6400dpi (i used to play games in Windows, in fact I have a second HDD just for playing games on it), so I have found razercfg to save my day and get this mouse working, I've followed the readme instructions the first time, and a lot of files where thrown everywere in my drive, then I tried again, but instead of make install I've used checkinstall to make a .deb file so I could uninstall it easily. This time the instalation worked good, but the problem is: only editing the razer.conf file I can modify the mouse settings (and it works), when I try to use "razercfg" in terminal i get a message "ERROR: found an old pyrazer module, you should uninstall razercfg from the system and re-install it properly", the same for "qrazercfg" (this should be a config tool wih graphical interface). I already tried to re-install and the same thing happens, this pyrazer module is some leftover file from my first installation that wasn't installed with the deb package? there's something i can do about it?
Last edited by jh0nny on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jh0nny
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The Razer mouse saga

Post by jh0nny »

[Update]
I've now got everything up and running :) with both razercfg (terminal) and qrazercfg (graphical interface for razercfg) working good. What i did was the following, in case someone with Razer mouses needs it:
obs.: MATE edition, but i believe that works on other editions too

- Fresh Mint installation (I have remaining files from previous attemps, and also i've screwed Grub before so I would did it anyway, you DON'T need to do this if you didn't tried to compile razercfg and failed before or if you know how to clean the files when uninstall.sh don't work)
- Downloaded razercfg from http://bues.ch/cms/hacking/razercfg.html. I've tested with the 0.30 release but without luck, the 0.29 release worked good.
- Extract the content in a folder
- READ the README file. Download all dependencies:
apt-get install python3
apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
apt-get install python-pyside
apt-get install cmake
- Also, install checkinstall to build the debian package
- Ready? open terminal and cd to the folder with the extracted files
- type:
"cmake ." (with the dot, without quotes)
- now instead of "make" type "checkinstall"
- Checkinstall will build the .deb during the process you will have to type the description of the package. Go through the process and when asked to choose something just follow checkinstall instructions.
- When finished you will have razercfg installed, plus a .deb file, and will be able to uninstall it in synapse. Dont close the terminal yet.
- Now sudo these commands (they will configure the razerd daemon to run in startup):
cp ./razerd.initscript /etc/init.d/razerd
ln -s /etc/init.d/razerd /etc/rc2.d/S99razerd
ln -s /etc/init.d/razerd /etc/rc5.d/S99razerd
ln -s /etc/init.d/razerd /etc/rc0.d/K01razerd
ln -s /etc/init.d/razerd /etc/rc6.d/K01razerd
- Copy the razer.conf file (that's in the razercfg tar) to yor /etc/ folder:
sudo cp razer.conf /etc
- Reboot the system
- Now open a terminal and call "razercfg" to command line program or "qrazercfg" for graphical program.
- Done.
Giftfish
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] The Razer mouse saga

Post by Giftfish »

[Update]
I was finally able to get razercfg installed and running. My issue was not having the root permissions for the files that were being copied to. I am running Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. Being a new user, I am not sure that the method I used to get access to the root permissions are are the most efficient way to get there:
I opened right clicked the razercfg-0.30 file and clicked "open as root"
Then I right clicked the same file in the new window and selected "open in terminal"
I then entered checkinstall and it ran fine.

I honestly don't remember if I had to do anything to get access to the root version of the files in the first place. I have been trying dozens of things. I seem to remember something about "nemo." But- new user here! Should I be taking notes as I figure this stuff out?

I am a new to Linux/Mint and I have been trying to get the side number pad on my Razer Naga mouse to work for hours now. I am having issues with installing razercfg. I have been carefully following the instructions above, using checkinstall instead of "make" and I get the following error when using the command checkinstall and following the prompts:

Install the project...
-- Install configuration: ""
-- Installing: /lib/udev/rules.d/80-razer.rules
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:44 (FILE):
file INSTALL cannot copy file "/home/tim/razercfg-0.30/udev.rules" to
"/lib/udev/rules.d/80-razer.rules".

make: *** [install] Error 1

**** Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Restoring overwritten files from backup... FAILED!

Cleaning up...OK

Bye.

Since I am new to linux I am not quite sure why the file won't copy in this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Giftfish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Giftfish »

[Another update]
Although I got both razercfg and qrazercfg to run and work- it didn't fix the only issue I am having with my Razer Naga- the 12 key pad on the side of the mouse does not work (simulates the number keypad)
snappahead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snappahead »

Thanks for the guide - helped me with my Taipan.

The only thing I have to add is there's really no need to reboot...just type

Code: Select all

>$ /etc/init.d/razerd start
in a terminal

Return to “Hardware Support”