Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dpitch40
Level 1
Level 1

Upgraded to Linux Mint 17; my Walkman now mounts with MTP

Post by dpitch40 »

I use a 16GB Walkman as my music player. Previously on Linux Mint 14 I used a Python script to sync music files to it that worked similar to iTunes. Now that I've upgraded to 17, it mounts with the MTP protocol and I find that my sync script no longer works; none of the Python functions I used to interact with the contents of the device are supported any more. How do I disable this "feature" and mount my Walkman without MTP like I used to?

mzs112000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Upgraded to Linux Mint 17; my Walkman now mounts with MT

Post by mzs112000 »

dpitch40 wrote:I use a 16GB Walkman as my music player. Previously on Linux Mint 14 I used a Python script to sync music files to it that worked similar to iTunes. Now that I've upgraded to 17, it mounts with the MTP protocol and I find that my sync script no longer works; none of the Python functions I used to interact with the contents of the device are supported any more. How do I disable this "feature" and mount my Walkman without MTP like I used to?
You don't.
Mint 17 now supports MTP, and will now always use it(unless the libmtp? driver has a regression).
The only way to make your script work without going to dependency meltdown is to go bvack Linux Mint 14, and NO I will NEVER reccomend doing that as it is not supported.
IF I have helped you/solved a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/v ... rId=943129
https://www.lds.org

dpitch40
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dpitch40 »

I was better able to remember how it worked with Linux Mint 14. I think I did have this issue last time, but I was able to change some mounting settings to mount my Walkman as a media device under the /media directory. I can't remember how to do this; it involved adding a line to a file whose location I've forgotten. How do I do this?

Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Are there no settings in the device itself to determine how it presents itself to an operating system? My SanDisk media player has such settings, so presumably Sony players do.

dpitch40
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dpitch40 »

That is a good idea that I hadn't thought of, but I don't see any options that appear to pertain to MTP.

Return to “Hardware Support”