Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CentaurHauler
Level 1
Level 1

Old Laptop CPU Speed Support

Postby CentaurHauler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 am

I put the new Mint 5 KDE on an old Dell C600, and for the most part it's working about as well as I can expect. However, I've got an odd problem under dynamic CPU freq control - it's trying to change the speed very often, and the machine hesitates badly whenever it changes speed. Everything works smoothly when fixed at low or high speed. Is there a parameter hidden in a file somewhere that would allow me to add a delay in the speed switching? I really don't need it to be quite so zealous in the speed control, but it would be nice if I could have it throttle down after a period of low CPU burden.

Thx!

CentaurHauler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Old Laptop CPU Speed Support

Postby CentaurHauler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:17 pm

I did some more searching, and it looks like this old Coppermine can't really do dynamic speed switching very well without losing data. I appears it was intended to run at low speed or at high speed, so I'll just set it up to run slower on batteries.

Funny, I still run an old AMD K6II+ that can smoothly change from 240MHz to 550MHz (and though several intermediate speeds) without skipping a beat under Kubuntu 7.04. Oh well, Intel eventually figured it out.

Return to “Hardware Support”