Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
RhetoricCamel
Level 1
Level 1

Looking into buying a desktop pc

Post by RhetoricCamel »

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section.

I am looking into buying a new desktop pc in the $600 range, with two video ports (I have two monitors that I need to run), 64-bit, and unfortunately I will need to run Windows with dual boot. Upon looking around I have been finding pc's that don't play nice with Linux, or that don't install Linux well. I have dealt with the UEFI system on a Dell Laptop which took a while to finally get Windows and Linux to run side by side, although now I live in fear of updating because I don't want to go through that pain again.

Anyone have any desktop suggestions that run Linux semi-smooth? I don't mind UEFI if it is my only option running Windows and Linux, but I just want everything else on the pc to also be supported. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Looking into buying a desktop pc

Post by kyphi »

Just a few pointers:

1. $600 will not buy much when you consider that a top end graphics card can cost more than twice that amount. Be prepared to spend more to get what you want.
2. UEFI is the replacement for the BIOS and is nothing to worry about. Perhaps you were thinking of "secure boot" which is a Microsoft imposition but that can be disabled.
3. As far as I know, all modern computer processing units are 64 bit which means that they can cope with both 32 bit and 64 bit.
4. Instead of buying a commercial product consider building your own - that way you can have exactly what you want and can upgrade components when you can afford to do so.
5. Please keep in mind that this is a world-wide forum and from your post there is no indication as to which country you live in.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

hellwoodfire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hellwoodfire »

I recommend 2 exellent motherboards:
50$ - H81M-P33 : MSI Motherboard, Works perfectly on Qiana and Rebecca
100$ - H97M-D3H : Gigabyte Motherboard, Works perfectly on Qiana and Rebecca
(I builts 2 computers with them, installed mint 17 and upgaded to 17.1)

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi »

Runs linux beautifully:-

http://www.aleutia.com/products/

Return to “Hardware Support”