Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
diesel79
Level 1
Level 1

3 distros on one SSD?

Post by diesel79 »

Hi all,

Sorry, if this has been asked before, I have looked but I can't find it. I recently installed a 256gb SSD and I'm currently running Linux Mint Cinamon 17.1 on the whole drive. However, I'm thinking about making 3 85gb partitions and reinstalling Mint Cinnamon 17.1 on the one, and ubuntu and Pinguy on the other 2. I realise these are all basically the same OS with different UI's, but I like all 3 and I have no desire to go down the Fedora or Arch road to be honest. I would consider Fedora on one of the partitions if I could decide which of the other 3 to drop.

Anyway, my questions is: Will 85gb be enough for each Distro on my SSD? And will I cause any issues such as my SSD slowing down because I have 3 operating systems on it? I don't store anything on my machine, I use an external hard drive for my storage needs. I also won't be using a swap partition as I have 16gb of RAM and therefore don't think it's needed.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 3 distros on one SSD?

Post by Dyfi »

I only use 15GB per distro - and save important data to another external usb drive, so, 85GB is plenty.

diesel79
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 3 distros on one SSD?

Post by diesel79 »

Dyfi wrote:I only use 15GB per distro - and save important data to another external usb drive, so, 85GB is plenty.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be spending the evening installing distro's lol.

Return to “Hardware Support”