Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
randyo
Level 1
Level 1

NO Touchpad/Keyboard on Acer Aspire E 15

Post by randyo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:08 pm

I installed (finally) Mint 17 MATE on this new laptop and can not get the touchpad or keyboard to function. Any instruction will be greatly appreciated. Video is still a problem.

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NO Touchpad/Keyboard on Acer Aspire E 15

Post by ford126 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:10 pm

I just purchased an Aspire E 15 Touch (E5-571P-55TL) and install LM 17.1 Rebecca (64-bit, MATE Desktop). Keyboard and touchscreen work fine (except for some hotkeys), Touchpad still inoperative. Here's what I've done/explored so far:

(1) Set the default keyboard to "Acer Laptop"
(2) Added to /etc/defaults/grub the text "acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor" in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT (found this tip online). This fixed the problem with controlling the brightness with Fn-right and Fn-left.
(3) installed the kernel module patch psmouse-elantech-x551c.tar.gz as per online instructions (another tip found online). I hoped it would fix the touchpad, but it didn't.
(4) The touchpad is still inoperative and Fn-F7 does nothing to activate it (I also tried Ctrl-Fn-F7). The kernel does recognize that the touchpad exists, however:

Code: Select all

$ dmesg|grep lantech
[    5.277922] psmouse serio1: elantech: assuming hardware version 4 (with firmware version 0x4a5f08)
[    5.288008] psmouse serio1: elantech: Synaptics capabilities query result 0x00, 0x15, 0x0f.
[    5.341350] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ HID 04d9:048e                           	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN Touchscreen                        	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HD WebCam                               	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Acer WMI hotkeys                        	id=14	[slave  keyboard (3)]
$ synclient | grep Touchpad
    TouchpadOff             = 0

(5) I have tried to test the hotkey Fn-F7 with programs 'showkeys', 'evtest', 'xev', all with the same negative result: pressing Fn-F7 gives nothing. For example, /dev/input/event6 is "Acer WMI hotkeys". Three supported events related to the touchpad:

Select the device event number [0-14]: 6
Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "Acer WMI hotkeys"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
  Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
    Event code 148 (KEY_PROG1)
    Event code 149 (KEY_PROG2)
    Event code 202 (KEY_PROG3)
    Event code 203 (KEY_PROG4)
    Event code 227 (KEY_SWITCHVIDEOMODE)
    Event code 237 (KEY_BLUETOOTH)
    Event code 238 (KEY_WLAN)
    Event code 240 (KEY_UNKNOWN)
    Event code 530 (KEY_TOUCHPAD_TOGGLE)
    Event code 531 (KEY_TOUCHPAD_ON)
    Event code 532 (KEY_TOUCHPAD_OFF)
  Event type 4 (EV_MSC)
    Event code 4 (MSC_SCAN)
But when I press Fn-F7 none of the codes appear (I'm running in a non-X terminal, as required). Some other program seems to be "grabbing" the Fn-F7 keypress.
Same with the video hotkeys (pause, stop, fastforward, rewind).

(6) Another tip found online (but didn't work). Copied /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (and reboot).

(7) Everything, including the touchpad, works just fine on my old Acer Aspire One D255E Netbook (identical software). That's why I kept with the same brand, thinking the same setup would work out of the box. 'evtest' shows the events 531/532 when I press Fn-F7 to turn on/off the touchpad.

I'm almost convinced the problem is the Acer WMI driver. It just doesn't like something with the E 15. I cannot find a handy on-line reference for information on where to find in the Linux system the files (or a nice flowchart) about how keypresses get converted into actions. Some are captured by acpi, some by WMI, some by who knows???? Anyone know a good websit for this stuff?
Last edited by ford126 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MagicMint » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 pm

According to this post on the German ubuntuusers forum, the touchpad works with a kernel of the 3.16.0 series. You could try it by installing one of the newer kernels from the update manager.

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:02 pm

MagicMint wrote:According to this post on the German ubuntuusers forum, the touchpad works with a kernel of the 3.16.0 series. You could try it by installing one of the newer kernels from the update manager.
I tried this (installed the 3.16.0.29 kernel via the Update Manager), but still the Touchpad is non-functional, as is the Fn-F7 key :-(
Again, the kernel sees the touchpad, but somewhere a driver is not doing its job:

$ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ HID 04d9:048e                           	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN Touchscreen                        	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HD WebCam                               	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Acer WMI hotkeys                        	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
Another thing I tried (which I found somewhere on the web) is GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i8042.noloop" in /etc/default/grub. This also did not help.

Is it worth trying one of the even newer kernels (3.17.x or 3.18.x)? They don't appear to be "officially" supported by LM yet.

MagicMint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MagicMint » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 pm

ford126 wrote:Is it worth trying one of the even newer kernels (3.17.x or 3.18.x)? They don't appear to be "officially" supported by LM yet.
Presumably not :( . But what about the other pointer devices? The HID is probably your external mouse, and as such independent from elantech driver. But the touchscreen seems to be served by the latter, as well as the touchpad. If so, then there could be some kind of race condition to be resolved by proper configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. Is there any property for IDs 11 & 14 that you could set (xinput --list-props …) at all? Try to dig in this direction :?

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:24 pm

MagicMint wrote: But what about the other pointer devices? The HID is probably your external mouse, and as such independent from elantech driver. But the touchscreen seems to be served by the latter, as well as the touchpad. If so, then there could be some kind of race condition to be resolved by proper configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. Is there any property for IDs 11 & 14 that you could set (xinput --list-props …) at all? Try to dig in this direction :?
My /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ has only one very small file, 50-synaptics.conf, which I put there in an attempt to solve the problem. Although the touchpad is listed as "on"
and the driver is "active", nothing actually works. Playing with fancy properties will help only after I get LM to actually respond to it. What program/daemon is responsible for capturing the keypresses (IRQs) for the touchpad ? There are modules "hid", "i2c_hid", "hid_multitouch". How to troubleshoot them? According to Windows, it's connected to a "Intel Serial IO I2C Host Controller-9C62".

By the way, it isn't just a Linux problem: Windows users are also having issues with this touchpad:
http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks- ... 578/page/3
I have confirmed the same behavior in Windows 8: after hibernate, the touchpad doesn't work until I uninstall/reinstall the driver.

MagicMint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MagicMint » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:57 pm

ford126 wrote:There are modules "hid", "i2c_hid", "hid_multitouch". How to troubleshoot them? According to Windows, it's connected to a "Intel Serial IO I2C Host Controller-9C62".
If it’s an I2C module, then it should be handled by i2c_hid which could want to service both the touchpad and the touchscreen at the same time.

Try to blacklist that module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with a line:

blacklist i2c_hid
to see if the synaptics driver is able to take over. But this was an unresolved issue on Launchpad for Ubuntu Trusty Tahr, I think, the current Mint base :(

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:24 pm

MagicMint wrote: Try to blacklist that module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with a line:

blacklist i2c_hid
to see if the synaptics driver is able to take over. But this was an unresolved issue on Launchpad for Ubuntu Trusty Tahr, I think, the current Mint base :(
Blacklisting "i2c_hid" had no effect on the touchpad functionality, or on anything else. Meanwhile, I played around with other modules, blacklisting some and seeing what happened. Also tried vaious things from the Ubuntu forum post https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1166442 without success. It seems alomost certainly a case of buggy kernel modules. Here's my diagnosis:

module 'hid_multitouch' controls the touchscreen - working
module 'usbhid' controls the external usb mouse - working
module 'psmouse' (Synaptic) controls the touchpad - not working, even with the x551c patch
module 'acer_wmi' controls some of the hotkeys (Fn-F7, and the video keys) - not working at all

The kernel recognizes the modules and the associated hardware just fine, but their is a communication breakdown between them, as seen by running 'sudo evtest' in a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F2).

MagicMint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MagicMint » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:29 pm

ford126 wrote:The kernel recognizes the modules and the associated hardware just fine, but their is a communication breakdown between them, as seen by running 'sudo evtest' in a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F2).
Do you mean evtest doesn’t show any input in the console for the touchpad device at all? It should, if only the psmouse would work. If it does, mind that evtest is more or less tied to the X server, hence you should use gpm instead to test the touchpad on the console. In this case, the problem would be a matter of xorg configuration, otherwise your only chance is to experiment with psmouse’s protocol parameter and/or a custom-built kernel and driver module :(

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm

There is an interesting article here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics on Synaptics touchpad troubleshooting.
Other things that don't work on the Aspire E 15:
-- altering the psmouse protocol; e.g. sudo modprobe proto=imps
-- booting into windows, shutdown, wait a few minutes, then boot into Linux

This article https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81331#c135 looks promising -- the bug may be in the i8042 code.
I put the 'i8042.debug' kernel boot parameter, and looked at dmesg -> the touchpad is IRQ 1,12 but touching it does not generate any i8042
lines in dmesg (no interrupts reported), so nothing is even getting to psmouse. Same with Fn-F7 keypress. While other keypresses generate
lines for IRQ 0,1. Perhaps the 'keyboard reset' patch will fix it - it appears that it
will be incorporated in new kernels, as a boot parameter option. I'll report again when these become available (3.13.0 or 3.16.0)

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Unfortunately, the kernel patch that came out of https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81331#c135 doesn't fix the problem on my laptop. I installed the latest stable kernel 3.18.5 and used the new kernel option i8042.kbdreset, but the touchpad remains totall unresponsive.

I've now posted this to the Linux kernel bug tracker as https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92791 in hopes that it will get some attention.

SIRSteiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SIRSteiner » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:26 am

Hello all,

I also had that problem with my E15 Start and Manjaro. After hours I found a solution for me:

Changed setting for touchpad in BIOS (F2) from Advanced to Basic.
Also I had a problem with hanging on shutdown. Since I deactivated xHCI in BIOS this problem is gone.

Maybe that helps for you.
Regards
Ronny

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:17 am

SIRSteiner wrote: I also had that problem with my E15 Start and Manjaro. After hours I found a solution for me:

Also I had a problem with hanging on shutdown. Since I deactivated xHCI in BIOS this problem is gone.
My BIOS has no touchpad Advanced/Basic option. Perhaps this is in one of the hidden "Advanced" BIOS menus that I've read about http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks- ... d-p/289972, and that are rather tricky to access. How did you access these menus?
Kevin

SIRSteiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SIRSteiner » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:55 pm

ford126 wrote:
SIRSteiner wrote: I also had that problem with my E15 Start and Manjaro. After hours I found a solution for me:

My BIOS has no touchpad Advanced/Basic option. Perhaps this is in one of the hidden "Advanced" BIOS menus that I've read about http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks- ... d-p/289972, and that are rather tricky to access. How did you access these menus?
Kevin
Sorry I forgot to say that it is a Aspire E15 Start (ES1-512) so maybe it differs from yours Acer. I found that option by pressing F2 while booting and then under "Main".

Regards

vito_spatafore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vito_spatafore » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:06 pm

echo "blacklist acer_wmi" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/acer-wmi.conf
[/size]

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12449060

:idea:

xinu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xinu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:11 am

Thank you all for the many tips here. Haven't tried some of them out yet.

My problem with my Packard Bell ENLEBZ11 laptop (from 2013) with Linux Rebecca 64bits (Kernel~3.13.0-53-generic x86_64) on it and a external usb-hdd + usb-mouse attached: no detection of touchpad nor keyboard (after passing Grub) WHEN THE (ACER) BATTERY IS IN. That is to say, sometimes they work but many a time they don't when the battery is in.
When I start the same laptop with Windows 8.1 and the battery attached, keyboard + touchpad + external usb drive + external usb mouse do function normally (as does the battery).
All internal/external devices (except battery) also detected normally with Linux Mint WHEN THE (ACER) BATTERY IS OUT.

Had to replace the keyboard of this laptop before because a few keyboard keys suddenly didn't work anymore in Windows. Probably because of a too wedged keyboard cable.

Some general driver information under Windows:
Touchpad: ALPS Touch Pad Driver 8.100.2020.116
Keyboard: general Microsoft keyboard driver.
These drivers don't show any problems.
Further: ''On ACPI x64 based PC'.

(Mentioned this dilemma also on the Dutch Linux Mint forum section.)
Last edited by xinu on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 am

Battery in/out does not affect he behavior.

But strange things have happened the past few months. All of a sudden, without doing anything, the touchpad and hotkeys just started working one their own!
This persisted after several shutdown/reboot cycles. I figured maybe it was the result of a routine update of software packages or something like that.
Then, recently, I had to boot into Windows for some task, then reboot back into LM. Presto, back to the old non-functioning system, no touchpad, hotkeys don't work, etc.

I'm thinking it has to be a BIOS thing, and Windows messes with it, and LM just doesn't know what's going on. any thoughts??

Robi666
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robi666 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Acer Aspire E 15 Start ES1-512
AltGr key not working
All other advices was unsuccessful for me but solved problem at last.

Control Center > Keyboard > Keyboard Preferences > Layouts (Keyboard Model: Acer; Acer Laptop) > Options > Key to choose 3rd level > Right Ctrl

Alt Gr key have no function but I have all special signs that I need "@[]{}æ€"

ford126
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford126 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:45 am

SOLUTION FOUND AT LAST!

Hardware: Acer Aspire E-15 Touch, E5-571P-55TL.

Diagnosis: When I boot into Windows, then back to Linux Mint, the touchpad fails to function, as do certain hotkeys, e.g. Fn-F7.

Solution: Completely shutdown, disconnect the wired external mouse, then restart into Linux. The touchpad and hotkeys now work. Reconnecting the mouse does not affect the functionality. It will continue to work on reboots (with mouse connected) until I boot into Windows again. I've repeated this process several times to check.

Kevin

rap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rap » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 am

SIRSteiner wrote:Hello all,

I also had that problem with my E15 Start and Manjaro. After hours I found a solution for me:

Maybe that helps for you.
Regards
Ronny
I can confirm this works on Acer Aspire es1-711 (running Elementary OS). Danke Ronny!

Return to “Hardware Support”