Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
charlieg
Level 2
Level 2

Laptops with 2 graphics devices

Post by charlieg »

I'm struggling to understand how Linux Mint handles 2 graphics cards.

My laptop has an Nvidia GPU as well as an integrated Intel card. I believe the latter being used by the desktop is affecting the performance of my laptop when RAM gets used (as my understanding of these things is that integrated GPUs can use RAM for memory?) so would like to know how to inspect my set up and perhaps change it so that the Nvidia card is aways used.

I'm using the nouveau driver at the moment but don't mind using the proprietary driver if needs be (but would prefer the FOSS driver for philosophical reasons).
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Laptops with 2 graphics devices

Post by wyrdoak »

-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)
charlieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by charlieg »

No, it didn't. However... I have made progress.

Soooooo.... it transpires the nvidia card was not being used AT ALL which makes me actually somewhat impressed with the performance of the onboard Intel card for some games.

Code: Select all

charles@charles-mint-Z500 ~ $ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x48 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel
Next step... figure out how to make that number either '2' or be using the Nvidia card.

I did initially try switching to the official Nvidia driver but that didn't go so well. Mint did not boot into X, which never seemed to even start - was stuck at the boot splash albeit far enough in to switch TTY and uninstall it all and revert back to nouveau.
charlieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by charlieg »

Code: Select all

charles@charles-mint-Z500 ~ $ lsmod|grep nouveau
charles@charles-mint-Z500 ~ $ lsmod|grep i915
i915                  905798  3 
i2c_algo_bit           13413  1 i915
drm_kms_helper         61574  1 i915
drm                   311018  5 i915,drm_kms_helper
video                  20128  1 i915
Nouveau can be injected using lsmod. However, it should be there post-boot, which it currently is not. Note that having a file /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf with the content 'nouveau' did not solve this.

Return to “Hardware Support”