Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
peter_62au
Level 1
Level 1

Lexmark 2400 driver

Post by peter_62au »

I'm trying to set up my printer a Lexmark x2470 in Mint 17.1 Cinammon. The printer is detected as a 2400 series which is correct but when I try to install the printer after choosing Lexmark there is no 2400 option. I've tried a few different options including the Generic(Recommended) settings none of which work. The error I get is that I require c2050 driver which is not currently installed. I've found the driver at http://www.prato.linux.it/~mnencia/lexmark2050/ Downloaded the tar file which after extraction gives me the following files.

c2050.1 c2050.c COPYING Makefile ps2lexmark ps2lexmark.1 README

but when I try to compile the file I get the following error.

gcc -g -O2 -c c2050.c
c2050.c:16:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
#include <stdio.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [c2050.o] Error 1

As I am new to LInux I have no idea what this means or how to fix. Any help would be appreciated.
DaveM
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lexmark 2400 driver

Post by DaveM »

What is the output from this command?

$ locate stdio.h

Edit: installing build-essential may supply the missing file
pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 »

so my take on the instructions; and after investigating; ............is that one clicks to Download and save, and it ends up in the Downloads directory

so the commands are

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf c2050-0.3b.tar.gz
and that command creates a directory called c2050-0.3b so the next command; ...............that to me is not mentioned in any instructions .............. is ..............

cd c2050-0.3b
..........so that takes you inside the directory c2050-0.3b and there one issues the command

make
and for me that gave the output of
gcc -g -O2 -c c2050.c
gcc -g -O2 -o c2050 c2050.o
and then the final command is

sudo make install
-____________

any joy?
peter_62au
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peter_62au »

Thanks for the help. Installing build-essential fixed the build problem but not the printing problem. If i select the generic driver the error I get when I print is

'client-error-document-format-not-supported'.

When I select the Lexmark 2050 driver everything appears to install ok but nothing works. When I print the test page or anything else a little window pops up saying the page is printing. A bit later another window pops up saying printing completed but nothing actually happens. All cables are connected nothing changed from when I had windows installed. I checked that the printer still prints by using the photo copy button (it does). It just won't print using Linux.
DaveM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DaveM »

peter_62au
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peter_62au »

Thanks I hadn't seen that page. I Followed the instructions but it gets about half way through and then I get a little window that says "install failed". When I plug the printer back in it does get automatically detected but when you open the printer properties the print test page is greyed out and if I try to print a document it still doesn't work. I'm beginning to think my printer is just too old. The Lexmark website doesn't list Linux drivers for this model and even the most recent Windows drivers are from 2010.
Thanks everyone for your help but I guess I'm going to have to spend some money if I want to print in Linux.

Return to “Hardware Support”