CDROM write protected SUPERBLOCK error

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
villandra

CDROM write protected SUPERBLOCK error

Post by villandra »

I just installed Mint 17.1 on a Dell Optiplex 755.

If I want to play a music CD or a dvd the CDROM auto-mounts and plays.

If I want to install software I have to manually mount the CDROM. It doesn't mount itself like it's supposed to.

When I try to WRITE to a BLANK dvd I can't. DISKS says it is write protected.

I have a blank dvd in the drive and can't write to it, not from Rootsmagic (which uses Crossover), nor from K3b or whatever. Yes I have both checked the dvd for damage and tried a different dvd from my other container of them.

Trying to manually mount the drive gives me

block device /dev/sr0 is wrote-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/sr0: can't read superblock

sudo lshw -c disk gives me:

-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
proeduct: DRW-24B1ST
vendor: ASUS
physical id: 0.9.9
businfo: Scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/sr0
versoin 1.00
capabilities: removalble audio cd-r, cd-rw, dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
*-medium
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/cdrom

No surprise there - obviously the system sees the CDROM.

I ruled out a hardware problem. Since the computer is from Goodwill Computerworks and from 2008 I went to Frys and bought a new CD/DVD Rom drive - only difference is that SOMETIMES it automatically mounts in read access only. I did check that the cables are attached securely. I did not move the cable to the other free SATA connection on the motherboard.

Tried making sure my user has all privileges, though that's how I set up the system. I'm the only user.

dmesg | grep -e error -e stata gives:

EXT4-fs (sdal): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block
end request: I/O eror, dev sr0, sector 0
(abaout 10 times)

A different dmesg GREP command gave me:

Read(10): 28 00 etc
EXT4-fs (sr0) unable to read superblock
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
ditto
Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
ditto
Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB:
Read(10): etc
repeats the whole thing all over again
FAT-fs (sr0): unable to read boot sector

I certainly don't see any other sign of boot sector corruption! And I just installed the system; have only the one Mint install on the entire disk.
more /proc/ss/dev/cdrom/info gives

drive # of slots: 1
drivespeed 48
drive name sr0
can open tray 1
can close tray 1
can lock tray 1
can change speed 1
can select disk 0
can read multisession 1
can read mcn 1
reports media changed 1
can play audio 1
can write cd-r 1
can write cd-rw 1
can read dvd 1
can write dvd-r 1
can write dvd-rom 1
can read mrw 0
can write mrw 0
can write RAM 1

I haven't managed a whole succession of cdrom drives that can read dvd but can't write to dvd.

There is a thread on a similar issue in January but past this point the entire discussion is written in Greek, or Chinese, or sometihng, starting with where it says to make certain changes and it isn't clear which ones are supposed to be edited into the fstab file.

Have more information, however. It isn't at all clear that this system knows where the CD-ROM is. Fstab file has nothing at all about it. Disks utility says its name is sr0. Lots of output showing the name is /dev/sr0 or else sr0. That "file" is found in the /dev file, can't be opened - wants to search for a device to open "block device" files. I manually mounted it at /media/cdrom, but nothing (at all) is in that folder, nor is anything in the /media/dora folder, in /mnt, or in cdrom.

cd-drive gives:

Driver selected is GNU/Linux
Default device for this driver is /dev/cdrom

Drivers available...
GNU/Linux ioctl and MMC driver
cdrdao (TOC) disk image driver
bin/cuesheet disk image driver
Nero NRG disk image driver
CD-ROM drive supports MMC 3

plus the informatoin on what my drive can do that I provided above.

In Disks - CD/DVD Drive path path is /dev/sr0 (read only)

/dev/sr0 does not exist in file manager

found in /dev/disk//by-id/ata-ASUS_DRW-24B1ST_i_F2D0CL0008565

nothing in /mnt
nnoting in /media/cdrom or /media/dora

nothing in /cdrom

Mount|grep /dev gives

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw, errors=remount-r0) [that is my hard drive]
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw, mode=0755)
devpots on /dev/pts tpye devpts (rw, noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)

mount doesn't show sr0 mounted at all.

Nothing at all about it in /etc/fstab.

lsblk lists sda1, sda2, sda5 - no sr0.

Audio disk, playing, is /dev/sr0, and it doesn't show in /media/cdrom or /media/dora, in /mnt, nor in /cdrom.

dmesg | egrep -i --color 'cdrom|dvd|cd/rw|writer'
gives
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: CDROM write protected SUPERBLOCK error

Post by DrHu »

• Trying to manually mount the drive gives me

block device /dev/sr0 is wrote-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: /dev/sr0: can't read superblock
Is that the complete and accurate system message

UDF volume or not ??
--trying to mount, would get that error
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/244445
--also optical drive size(s)

Blank CD, does that mount
Movie DVD, does that mount: possibly opening with VLC
villandra

Post by villandra »

En ingles por favor. I've not seen anything like this and I don't know what you're refering to.

What's a UDF volume.

Optical drive size? It's a CDROM!

I added how it mounts as a music CD above - but then I understand that music CD's don't mount with a file system. It basically no more shows up anywhere at all than the blank dvd does.

Please see my edits above - I suspect the system may not know what to do with sr0.

Definitely not the same bug - that refers to inability to mount hard drives over 4 gigabytes.

I have a blank dvd. Since fiddling with an audio cd Disks now tells me that I hvae /dev/dr0 Read Only, Blank DVD-R Disk, size 2.0 KB, and the serial number. Nothing else has changed. Mount shows it isn't mounted. Mount after I mount it shows it isn't mounted even though I get a message it is mounted for read only, and I can get it to read software installation cds.
villandra

Post by villandra »

It's fixed.

I tried adding the following lines to my fstab file, after researching what to put in the fstab folder. (For those not inclined to read more than the first two lines of any post, such as my helper who didn't know I am specifically having trouble with ability to write to a blank dvd in my cdrom drive, it didn't work.)

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto user, auto, exec, rw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto user, auto, exec, rw 00

The standard instructions found on posts don't work because they don't specify rw, though that should be the default, and tell the cdrom drive to recognize only certain file systems. It is also important that the system automatically recognizes the file system that is there, that a user can mount a cd, that the system mounts the cdrom automatically, and so forth.

However, multiple posts explained that one shouldn't need to do this at all, it won't change whatever is wrong (and not one person reporting problems mounting hteir cdrom reported that changing their fstab file worked), that something else would be causing problems.

It didn't work. first, I had to press s to skip mounting drives when the system hung on booting up. Second, it just caused cdrom to appear twice informing me that I had bad commands in my fstab file.

However. Get ready for this. Noone has thought of this, because only Mint would ever do such a thing. In system settings, if you click on removable devices, you will find out that, by DEFAULT, Mint does not load the CDROM drive or any other removable media, EVER. What is MORE. you not only enable automatic mounting of removable media. I checked that and rebooted the machine and it didn't work. You ALSO have to check next to "blank dvd-r" or whatever, automount on login, and automount on attach! So I did that, and now I can write to dvd, even though Disks continues to tell me that the disk is write-protected.

Only in Mint. Once again (and on into eternity) Mint's designers have done it backwards and upside down solely in order to prove they are Superior Beings to the ones who design Ubuntu - which in my experience pretty much just works out of the box and does not need four weeks of working around one system bug after another to even get a machine up and running.

I'm off to give Mint 17.1 suitable reviews. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

''CDROM write protected'' Well, yes. Blank media can't be mounted, written media are Read Only. No one can change that.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

In the last 6 month that I have been using mint, I never seen such behavior.

Sent from my phone
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

Hi villandra, although your errors messages are different, perhaps there's a connection with the gvfsd-cdda bug in Ubunutu described in: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/902134? In this case differing programs conflict when mounting and using optical drives. Maybe this helps point you in a useful direction?
  • (In my system play back of CD's works OK in LM17.1 e.g. Banshee and VLC, but Brasero couldn't be used and k3b also has problems. K3b at least offers to kill conflicting programs. This works and k3b could read CD's/DVD's, however, k3b still couldn't write to the same drive as the original. A workaround is to read from an external CD/DVD device and write to the in-built CD/DVD device.)

Return to “Hardware Support”