Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Luiwammes
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17.2RC high memory usage

Post by Luiwammes »

High all,

I just installed Mint 17.2 RC on my Samsung Series 5 laptop that has 4GB of memory installed.

I noticed that the memory usage was quite high. Sometimes up to 3GB of RAM is being consumed without running much more than my internet browser (chrome). After monitoring the processes running I found out that a process called "xorg" is using up to 1GB (!) of memory. After a reboot it drops down to about 120MB, but I noticed that it slowly but steadily keeps growing. The longer I leave me laptop running, the bigger the xorg process gets.

My questions: Is this normal? Is there something I can do about this?

Thanks in advance!

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint 17.2RC high memory usage

Post by kukamuumuka »

I think that there is a memory leak with GPU driver. Change the driver and try again. Commad inxi -G tells the current driver.

PS. Chrome is a buggy browser which cannot release memory even if the process has ended.
http://www.techverse.net/how-to-trouble ... ory-usage/
http://bgr.com/2015/05/19/google-chrome ... -leak-fix/

PS. Turn hardware acceleration off and shut Chrome´s applications when Chrome is not running.
Attachments
do not use these.png

Luiwammes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luiwammes »

It was the video driver indeed!

Thank you sir! :D

Btw, I had also noticed that Chrome had like 8 different processes running, each at 100+ MB. Maybe I should switch back to Firefox.

Vidiot_X
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vidiot_X »

Hi,

I am having a similar issue where xorg memory usage will just keep growing over time using gigabytes of memory with no applications (all current running programs closed/exited) running other then the KDE desktop (a few widgets and ClamAV daemon). Things start out as expected on boot-up but over time when using various applications (programs) it seems as if memory is leaking or not being reclaimed.

If this is indeed a video driver issue what should I do to isolate the issue? I am using 'fglrx' and I am not sure when the issue started but there has been one update of it since my installation of Linux Mint 17.2 KDE (installed about 30 days ago). Can I remove the 'fglrx' driver in Synaptic Package Manager and then re install it to a previous version? The current 'fglrx' driver (2:15.200-0Ubuntu0.05) and the available 'fglrx-update' both have the same version numbers. Are they both the same driver?

I am a developer (www.phoenixusc.com) moving from Windows (Windows 10 was the breaking point) to Linux for my studio and need to use the propriety video driver for my Radeon GPU for software development. Also sort of a newbie when it comes to Linux.

Thanks for any help. ;)

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Vidiot_X wrote: Can I remove the 'fglrx' driver in Synaptic Package Manager and then re install it to a previous version?
Yes you can.

Ron-N
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ron-N »

Luiwammes wrote:High all,

I just installed Mint 17.2 RC on my Samsung Series 5 laptop that has 4GB of memory installed.
You're still using a RC version? Must be updated now to a stable release of Mint by now. What kind of GPU ur laptop has on board??
Hybrid laptop hardware specifications:
Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*128 GiB SSD/1 TB HDD*

Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce/kernel version: 3.19.0-28

Vidiot_X
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vidiot_X »

You're still using a RC version? Must be updated now to a stable release of Mint by now. What kind of GPU ur laptop has on board??
Actually no I am not. I was trying to play it cool for my first post and search the forum for a similar issue and post in that thread. I did not know 'RC' was a pre-release version. Any way I am using 17.2 KDE Rafaela 64bit (the release version). I will post to a new thread to avoid any confusion. Thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”