extremely slow file copy to USB

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tartufo

Re: extremely slow file copy to USB

Post by Tartufo »

I gotta confess - this really f**in' sux in LM18.3

I've been waiting for the last twenty minutes for a 1.5MB file to transfer. The indicator suggests that it's already transferred, but it really isn't.

What nonsense is this? Give me areal indication of what has transferred and how much longer I am supposed to wait, but don't indicate that the file has transferred and yet here I have to wait a further 10 minutes or so.

This really sux and is a major weakness in the LM 18.3 desk top.
Madmogone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Madmogone »

HI all,I have just tested a 7 year old usb 2.0 Lexar 4GB stick which my daughter used for school, college and then university so it has had some use.I transfered my music archive of FLAC files, (132GB) to the stick, yes the transfer told me that my destination was not large enough, but I told it to carry on, which it did until the stick ran out of space.At no time was the transfer to take longer than 9 hours, which I do not think is too bad for the age and condition of the stick. My machine I used was a AMD AM1 2.1GHz cpu, 8GB ram,using a usb port on the computer, so not a high powered machine.I then wiped the usb stick using Discs/manage drive and media on the menu settings, using "zero,s" and it wrote to the stick at 4.4mb/sec.I am running mint 18.3 xfce,Kernel 4.4.116 on this machine.I have not got a spare usb 3.0 stick to test.Hope this helps.
Tartufo

Post by Tartufo »

I also have this problem of a really slow transfer to USB sticks (incl. 3.0). I hate to admit it, but Windows 7 far out-paces my Mint 18.3 in terms of speed of data transfer. I'm trying to transfer 734.00MB to a USB 3.0 stick, and I've been here for the last 15 minutes. The file transfer indicatordoesn't give any transfer rate, nor is there any explanation why I am wasting time waiting for a (relatively) small file transfer. Why is GNU/Linux (Mint) still suffering from this? To be honest, this is embarrassing. Hold on MS friends I am still waiting to transfer 3/4GB to a USB stick. What a nonsense. This should be fixed by now ... it's been a kernel issue since 2008 at least.

And I'm still waiting for 734.5MB to transfer to a USB stick. I'm likely to retire before this ever concludes.
Tartufo

Post by Tartufo »

Still waiting ... this is close to intolerable.

Can anyone please help me understand why my fave OS is just so crap at file transfers from mainframe to USB? I've been waiting for over 30 minutes now for this file to transfer and to all intents and purposes the dialog box is stuck. It gives no meaningful info, there is no reasonable explanation for why the transfer speed is just so crap, and there is no option to try to speed things along. How long is one expected to wait for a 3/4GB file to transfer? Shall I order supplies in?
Tartufo

Post by Tartufo »

Finally ... so, how long was that? 40 minutes for 730MB? Just rubbish. Please developers - make this a priority for 18.4.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

https://blog.oxplot.com/make-usb-flash- ... ast-again/ suggests at least one make of USB stick supports 'factory reset' using the ATA Secure Erase command... and they measured before-and-after to prove it.

Return to “Hardware Support”