Semi dual boot lost sound

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
warddb

Semi dual boot lost sound

Post by warddb »

On a wild hair I changed my hard drive back to one that winXP is on to watch a movie, Rambo, "digital Key" required media Player 11, good movie. Changed back HD boot up to Mint Felica did not want to reboot went through to Mint repair working fine now, but I have no sound in Mplayer, Rythmbox or firefox online radio. sound card is standard for a Dell Optiplex GT240 CPU.

THe New Beeee strikes again,

DW :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Semi dual boot lost sound

Post by Husse »

Sometimes Windows resets firmware in all sorts of devices.
I'd suggest a reboot into XP and immediately back into Mint. Hopefully that resets it
I see no reason for a "breakdown" of Mint....
warddb

Post by warddb »

Husse,
I was searching the forms, nothing has worked yet, found an old post about ICH8, this is what my out put was,
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 12)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 12)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 12)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 12)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 12)
00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 12)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 12)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)

I went int sounds to test and no sound, but when I boot up the system with the external speakers on I hear the signal light static but nothing else. I switched the hard drives the XP I worked changed back and mint 6 no sound.

Next suggestion,

Thank you

Dennis
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

What about reinstalling ALSA again?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll come back to you after I've reread another post - I get a feeling that the Brokdale chipset may be the problem
(82845 and 82801)
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK I have added this to my (fairly short) list of unsolved problems and will come back to you
warddb

Solved Re: Semi dual boot lost sound

Post by warddb »

Husse,

You can mark this one off the List went to turn on CPU and the HD failed, all it will do is click. I am looking for a new HD.

Thank You,

DW

Return to “Hardware Support”