Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Draknof
Level 1
Level 1

Need help compiling TP Link dual band wifi drivers

Post by Draknof » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi all,
I have bought this USB wifi adapter, for which Linux drivers are provided.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Arch ... tml#Driver

I run Linux Mint 17.2 64bits and had to install kernel 3.13.0-37-generic to properly install this driver. However this kernel is highly unstable and I had to revert to kernel 3.13.0-24-generic.
First surprise, drivers installed on the other kernel seem to have disappeared from 3.13.0-24. Then compiling the TP Link driver is not working:

Code: Select all

make
"******************************************"
"NO SKRC,we will use default KSRC"
"******************************************"
----- extra_cflags=-DCONFIG_IOCTL_CFG80211=1 -DRTW_USE_CFG80211_STA_EVENT=1  -O1 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-value -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused -I/include -I/platform -DCONFIG_RTL8812A -DCONFIG_MP_INCLUDED -DCONFIG_POWER_SAVING -DCONFIG_TRAFFIC_PROTECT -DCONFIG_LOAD_PHY_PARA_FROM_FILE -DREALTEK_CONFIG_PATH="" -DCONFIG_RTW_ADAPTIVITY_EN=0 -DCONFIG_RTW_ADAPTIVITY_MODE=0 -DCONFIG_BR_EXT '-DCONFIG_BR_EXT_BRNAME=br0' -DCONFIG_LITTLE_ENDIAN
make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/build M=/home/m-okanochiwa/.local/share/Trash/files/Archer T4UH_V1_150821  modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic/arch/x86/Makefile:113: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `T4UH_V1_150821'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
Any help is welcome.
Thanks

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Need help compiling TP Link dual band wifi drivers

Post by JeremyB » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:12 pm

If you have compiled the driver from the same directory previously the first command to run should be

make clean
Then see if

make
works like it should

Otherwise post the result of

lsusb
if it is a USB wifi adapter

Draknof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Draknof » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi,

I already tried make clean && make. I also tried to delete the driver folder, and unzip it again.
With lsusb the wifi adapter does not appear, which is normal as it did the same under kernel 3.13.0-37 before installing the driver.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Draknof wrote:Hi,

I already tried make clean && make. I also tried to delete the driver folder, and unzip it again.
With lsusb the wifi adapter does not appear, which is normal as it did the same under kernel 3.13.0-37 before installing the driver.
That would be very strange for nothing to show in lsusb, have you installed the kernel headers and build-essential before trying to compile?

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Return to “Hardware Support”