Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gogolink
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Printer Brother MFC-J870DW, scanner not working

Post by gogolink » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 am

Hi, I'm stuck in the installation of this wireless printer, Brother MFC-J870DW. I got it to print via the wireless connection. But my scanning applications (Simple Scan, gsca2pdf) don't seem to be able to communicate with the all-in-one printer.
I'm on Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, with this kernel: 3.16.0-28-generic

This is what I've done so far:
I downloaded Brother's printer-install-tool from their support site (http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625),
extracted the files, and ran the tool following their instructions (sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1).

The following error messages appeared in the terminal:
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/spool/lpd/mfcj870dw’: No such file or directory
chown: cannot access ‘/var/spool/lpd/mfcj870dw’: No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access ‘/var/spool/lpd/mfcj870dw’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/var/spool/lpd/mfcj870dw’: No such file or directory
...but I ignored them and carried on.

Prompted whether I wanted to "specify the Device URI", I opted for yes; then to identify the "destination Device," I chose option "10: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J870DW._ipp._tcp.local/", which resulted in this message:
lpadmin -p MFCJ870DW -v dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J870DW._ipp._tcp.local/ -E
(In earlier attempts, I had also tried options "13 (A): Auto. (dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J870DW._ipp._tcp.local/)", and "12 (I): Specify IP address." When I chose the latter option, and, prompted to "enter IP address," I entered the address from my router (192.168.1.1), I was told:
"brsaneconfig4 -a name=MFC-J870DW model=MFC-J870DW ip=192.168.1.1"
But while that process did set up the printer somehow -- so that it appeared under printers -- it did not establish a connection.)

After establishing the URI as "dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J870DW._ipp._tcp.local/", test print worked.

But then the tool wanted to set up the scanner and asked for an IP address; so I entered the address from my router (192.168.1.1), and was told:
brsaneconfig4 -a name=MFC-J870DW model=MFC-J870DW ip=192.168.1.1
I hit Enter, and the install tool was done.
Printing works.
In Cinnamon's Printers dialogue, the printer is identified with the "Device URI" "dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J870DW._ipp._tcp.local/"

But when I try to scan something using Simple Scan, the program lists "Brother MFC-J970DW" as (its only) "Scan source"; but when I hit "Scan," the program tries to connect to the scanner and ends up with the error message "Failed to scan. Unable to connect to the scanner."

Similarly, gscan2pdf tries in vain to open the device, and ends up with message "Error opening device: Invalid argument".

I gathered from this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=161673 that it should be possible to get the scanner going on the machine, but have not yet succeeded.
I came across this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2212942, and read with interest the solution that (on the second page, towards the end) wagb278 proposed, but haven't tried it yet, as I'm not sure I fully understand it.

It would seem to me that the issue has something to do with a discrepancy in printer identification, where for the actual printing, the printer is identified as "dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J870DW._ipp._tcp.local/", but for xsane (the scanning) it is identified by the IP address. I do not, however, know either how to run any useful diagnostics that would confirm this hypothesis, nor how to fix the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by gogolink on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gogolink
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Printer install: Brother MFC-J870DW, scanner not working

Post by gogolink » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:12 am

Still haven't figured it out. When I run XSane from the terminal, I receive a message "Scanning for devices," and then the error "Failed to open the device 'brother4:net;dev0': Invalid argument"

Any idea where I can go from here? Where do I find where XSane stores its information about available devices, or where it gets it from? Could I direct it to the printer?

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:21 pm

Unless I missed it appears that you still need to install the scanner driver which is separate from the printer driver.

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... d_scn.html

Your model calls for the brscan4 driver.
Desktop:
Mint-18.3 Mate 64 bit
MSI B85M-E45
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB DDR3 1600
2TB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17.3 Mate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm

gogolink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gogolink » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:21 am

chiefjim wrote:Unless I missed it appears that you still need to install the scanner driver which is separate from the printer driver. [...]

Your model calls for the brscan4 driver.
Well, Brother's support website says about their install tool: "The tool will install LPR, CUPSwrapper driver and scanner driver (for scanner models)." And it did install brscan4. But I will try if there's anything else in the "Scanner driver 64 bit" deb package, as soon as I get around to it (I will use these instructions: http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... edirect=on), and will report back whether that solves the problem.

gogolink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gogolink » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:11 pm

No, I really don't think it's that I don't have the drivers installed; that's what I get when I run grep:

Code: Select all

gogo@gogo-Inspiron-3847 ~ $ dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
ii  brscan-skey                                                 0.2.4-1                                             amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan4                                                     0.4.3-1                                             amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
ii  mfcj870dwcupswrapper                                        3.0.0-1                                             i386         Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii  mfcj870dwlpr                                                3.0.0-1                                             i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii  printer-driver-ptouch                                       1.3-8                                               amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
I do notice, on the other hand, that the folder /etc/sane.d contains .conf-files for many different scanner models, but none (as far as I can see) for my Brother scanner, or any Brother scanner for that matter. Would it need to?
I did see here: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/brother/scanner#source-2 (in German) the suggestion that a file /etc/sane.d/brother.conf might have to be created; but I don't really understand the instructions on that page.

The bottom line is that I'm utterly confused. I was under the impression that Brother's install tool should have made driver installation rather straightforward, and that many other Linux users succeeded in carrying it out.
If you're one of those users, or otherwise have any idea of what I might have been doing wrong, or might still have to do, I would very much appreciate your help!

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Post by coffee412 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Ill help but lets start from scratch.

1. Unhook your brother printer from the computer and reboot leaving it unplugged.
2. If you have already installed a deb file then go in and uninstall and reboot.
<plug in your printer now>
3. Download the install the Driver Install tool.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... w_us_eu_as

4. Go to Menu/Administration/printers - setup your printer. Do a search for it, Should show up.

Now, Restart CUPS
sudo service cups restart

After that go to menu/graphics/Simple Scan - see if it sees your scanner.

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:00 am

This may or may not be relevant to your situation. This was found in my J450DW setup guide. Yours might be similar.

If you have previously configured the wireless settings of the machine, you must reset the network settings
before you can configure the wireless settings again.
On your machine, press Menu. Press a or b to choose Network. Press OK.
Press a or b to choose Network Reset. Press OK.
Press 1 (Yes) twice to accept the change.
Desktop:
Mint-18.3 Mate 64 bit
MSI B85M-E45
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB DDR3 1600
2TB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17.3 Mate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm

gogolink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gogolink » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:18 am

Me thinks it's working! I guess the key was to identify the printer by IP address, and use the correct one...

I did as coffee suggested and started from scratch:

On my system, I used synaptics to "completely remove" brscan-skey, brscan4, mfcj870dwcupswrapper, mfcj870dwlpr, and printer-driver-ptouch. I also deleted all the files that the previous installation process had created (in the folder into which I had downloaded Brother's install tool).

On the MFC-J870DW, I first tried to check the IP address:
menu > settings > Wi-Fi > TCP/IP
...but the IP address showed up as 000.000.000.000

I then (still on the all-in-one) used
menu > Wi-Fi > Setup wizard
...to set up Wi-Fi again. My network was the first on the list, I entered the password (SSID) again, received a WLAN report from the printer, and could now see (not on the report, but on the all-in-one) that the IP address was set as 192.168.001.102

With this information, I started the installation process (on my computer) again:
I downloaded the install tool one more time, and followed the instructions on Brother's site to unzip and install.

When I reached the prompt "Do you want to specify the device URI?," I opted for "yes," but this time chose the option "specify IP address," and entered what I had gotten from the all-in-one: 192.168.001.102

The printer printed a test page, I had to say yes to some license agreement, and the installation process was done. (So this time, the tool didn't ask separately for the IP address of the scanner.)

I restarted the computer, ran gscan2pdf -- and this time the opening of the device succeeded, and scanning worked!

I have also since turned the all-in-one off, turned the wireless off, turned both back on, and checked whether scanning still worked -- it does.
Thanks coffee and chiefjim!
Last edited by gogolink on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Printer Brother MFC-J870DW, scanner not working

Post by coffee412 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:20 am

Cool Beans !

Glad you got it working. They actually are pretty nice printers. I sell them to my clients all the time :)

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Return to “Hardware Support”