How to revert to 17.1 graphics stack (on 17.3)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Snowfall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Snowfall »

If you plan on using the Oibaf - Updated and Optimized Open Graphics Drivers PPA to upgrade your graphics stack on a fresh installation of Linux Mint 17.3, you'll notice that not all your graphics stack packages are updated as they should be from the PPA.

The reason for this is simple, and is also covered in the PPA's read me - The Oibaf PPA only supports the default Trusty (Linux Mint 17.1) graphics stack. What you now get with fresh installations of Linux Mint 17.3 is the 15.04 Vivid backported stack (based on mesa 10.5.9).

*** Note that if you have upgraded to 17.3 from 17.2 or 17.1, the PPA will still work for you unless you explicitly install the upgraded stack ***

Update: !!! You can, and it's also recommended to upgrade from 17.2 or 17.1 to 17.3, since that is generally a lot more secure and will also get rid of this issue for you. If you've already installed 17.3, you may or may not be willing to do that. !!!

To be able to properly use the PPA even on a brand new shiny installation of 17.3, you'll need to revert to the default mesa and xorg packages.

On an amd64 (64-bit) installation I've done that by running:

*** Before you start running commands picked up from a forum post, make sure you understand what they are doing to your system! While this approach has worked in my case it is in no way foolproof and has the potential to severely affect your Linux Mint installation. You will be doing this at your own risk! ***

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --purge libegl1-mesa:amd64 libgbm1:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:amd64 libglapi-mesa:i386 libgles1-mesa:amd64 libgles2-mesa:amd64 libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64 libxatracker2:amd64 xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware gir1.2-totem-1.0 gstreamer1.0-clutter libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-gst-2.0-0 libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libcogl-pango15 libcogl15
*** You may notice that the virtualbox-guest-x11 drivers will be removed by the above command. That seems to be unavoidable. As far as I can tell, the virtualbox 5.x version in the Mint repository depends on the upgraded graphics stack. If you plan on using it as such, you might want to rethink following this procedure. ***

The packages will differ in case of i386 (32-bit) installations. Unfortunately I have no way of producing a similar command for that scenario. If anyone has successfully done this for i386 and would like to share the apt-get command, I'd be happy to include it here.
  • Packages up to xserver-xorg-video-vmware were identified by running

sudo dpkg -l | grep lts-vivid | awk '{print $2}'
    and removing the -lts-vivid suffix from each package.
  • The following packages got added just because apt was planning to remove them otherwise. Adding them in the command will ensure they stay in place.
Once the default stack has replaced the vivid version, you should be able to see all the updates flowing from the Oibaf PPA as you'd expect them to.

Hope this will be useful for someone out there at least. For any queries, comments or suggestions drop a note and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Good luck and stay tuned with Oibaf for those hard-earned extra fps!
Last edited by Snowfall on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to revert to 17.1 graphics stack (on 17.3)

Post by Cosmo. »

There is a more secure and recommended way, see known Issues. You only need to wait, until the upgrade option is available.
Snowfall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Snowfall »

Cosmo. wrote:You only need to wait, until the upgrade option is available.
Very true. And I've specified that there will be no issues with upgraded installations since they will not include the upgraded graphics stack by default.

However, as far as I know, there is no 'recommended' way to address this in the case of new 17.3 installations. I wrote the above guide with new 17.3 installations in mind.
Dukenukemx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dukenukemx »

Thanks this worked, cause I've installed 17.3 on machines and installing Oibaf PPA seems to break Cinnamon.
Dukenukemx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dukenukemx »

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Updated the machine and it removed Cinnamon and MDM. Plus the graphics are broke and Cinnamon starts in broke mode.
Tigerite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tigerite »

If you don't mind having X.org 1.18.0 (and thus being unable to upgrade xserver-xorg-video-* packages), you could follow the instructions I posted here - confirmed to work on the stock LiveCD, with no need for dist-upgrade or removing of any system packages.
Dukenukemx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dukenukemx »

Thanks Tigerite. It works but I would like to see Oibaf PPA work like it normally did. Right now the best solution to this is to install 17.2 and then install the PPA, and then upgrade to 17.3. If you fresh install 17.3 and use the PPA, you will lose all your applications and then some. Fixing it is extremely challenging and time consuming. I posted about it here with no replies. Upgrading the graphic drivers shouldn't do that. In the end I ended up doing a fresh install of 17.2 like what I just explained.

I still have a 17.3 machine that's unfortunately a fresh install and I don't like the idea of going through all the trouble because I want updated graphic drivers. Is there anyway we can get the Mint developers to accommodate for the Oibaf PPA in a way? So that it would work like normal and especially not accidentally wipe out applications?
Tigerite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tigerite »

The thing is, there are many system processes that are dependent on the graphics stack, and unfortunately the normal packages conflict with the -lts-vivid versions so apt can't figure out what to do. So it can only suggest removing those system packages so it can first remove the -lts-vivid before installing the standard ones. That's why, in my solution, I get rid of those conflicts first and then tell apt that the standard packages 'replace' the -lts-vivid and remove any lingering conflicts. Then you can finally remove them without the need to uninstall system packages. I don't know of any other solution.
Tigerite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tigerite »

After much painful effort with Launchpad, I can now proudly announce my PPA to upgrade the -lts-vivid packages to the latest X.org (and be able to update Mesa from Oibaf's PPA, in fact everything except xserver-xorg-video-* packages as his require ABI from the old X.org 1.15). Simply (as root):

add-apt-repository ppa:tigerite/mint-xorg-update
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install xorg-update
And that's it. The update makes the system aware of the new packages, the upgrade brings in the -lts-vivid packages from the PPA which don't conflict against the normal packages, and finally the xorg-update package, which is a dummy package, conflicts with the old -lts-vivid packages and depends on the newer ones. Thus, the -lts-vivid versions get removed and the new ones replace them, without apt getting itself in a twist and trying to remove mint-meta-cinnamon. Once done, you can safely remove xorg-update, it's not needed. Also, the xorg-update brings in new virtualbox-guest-x11 (plus -utils and -dkms) so it is not removed with this solution. The one in the PPA is built against the newest X.org 1.18.1, just like all of the graphics and input drivers.

If any packages get held back, apt-get install them separately afterward (cups and dpkg seemed to for me, I don't know why, as they are not broken packages but updated from vivid/utopic).

By the way, if anyone is interested, I believe the main reason apt tries to remove cinnamon originally is that it depends on caribou, which depends on gir1.2-clutter-1.0, which depends on gir1.2-cogl-1.0, which depends on libcogl15.. which depends on libegl1-mesa-drivers. For some unknown reason, Ubuntu decided to make libegl1-mesa-dri-lts-vivid "provide" libegl1-mesa-drivers, whereas before (and even with -lts-utopic) it was a transitional package (which can be "safely removed" - nobody told cinnamon though!). Thus when you try to replace the -lts-vivid files, because libegl1-mesa-dri-lts-vivid is to be removed, and you're not replacing libegl1-mesa-drivers, it gets removed and the rest cascades down. I actually believe the original post would work if you also added libegl1-mesa-drivers to the list.

Return to “Hardware Support”