Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
venik212
Level 1
Level 1

HTPC on an Intel's NUC running mint

Post by venik212 »

Has anyone tried to run Mint/Cinnamon 17.3 on the tiny Intel NUC (New Unit of Computing)?
I am using one of those, with an i5 processor, as an HTPC. So far I like it, but I am struggling with controlling it-- I use the RT-WMK03 miniature keyboard with a touchpad as the remote control for it, which works fine on other systems, but is having a lot of trouble with mint/cinnnamon on this NUC.
Any ideas for another way to remotely control the NUC? It has bluetooth and wifi, but apparently no hdmi-cec functionality.
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HTPC on an Intel's NUC running mint

Post by cwsnyder »

Have you used the keyboard you are using with the NUC at the same distance you are using it from the NUC? I believe Class 2 bluetooth has a maximum of about 33 feet connectivity, with the range reduced if there are intervening metallic surfaces or if there is an interfering signal (WiFi, microwave, other wireless keyboards/mice and cordless phones in the 2.4GHz spectrum all work in the same frequency spectrum). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Absolute worst case would be if you mounted the NUC behind a television mounted in a metal entertainment center which is near a microwave and a cordless phone, connected to the Internet wirelessly from a single band 802.11n router, while you try to control it from across a large room. If you approximate the worst case, get the computer AWAY from surrounding metal with longer cables and try again.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit
falcon42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by falcon42 »

I have an i3 NUC serving as a DVR and am using a Logitech K400R keyboard. I found the range to be too short and it wouldn't hold the connection while I was sitting on my couch about 8 feet away. I bought a 1 foot USB extension from Monoprice and plugged the USB receiver into the extension to get it away from the NUC. Now it works great!
wacko_75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wacko_75 »

Hi,

Here using an Intel NUC with Celeron processor as an HTPC working perfectly with a Logitech K400R keyboard.
Linux Mint 17.2 with Cinammon desktop. I've had some problems powering off the computer, but now are solved.

Regards,

Return to “Hardware Support”