Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jeffmint
Level 2
Level 2

Supported Laser Color Printer scanners

Post by jeffmint » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:32 am

Hello

I am thinking of replacing my old Brother MFC 9120 CN Color printer scanned. I managed with the help of Brother to make it work till I upgraded Mint. Is there a Color laser printer scanner available that will work on Mint 17.2 From the box? I saw some previous articles it seems a bit hit an miss. Thanks.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Supported Laser Color Printer scanners

Post by Distro-Don » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:38 pm

I have never had any problems with HP laser jet printers and I have used quit a few of them. Right now I am using an HP Color Laser jet pro MFP M476dn.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:19 pm

HP and Samsung are well supported.
Just bought a Brother B/W laser printer w/scanner that worked out of the box as well...

jeffmint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jeffmint » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:04 am

Thanks Guys.

They are all good printers. I think the age of mine may have caused the problems.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 am

You can find an incomplete list of what works and what doesn't work here:

https://www.openprinting.org/printers

I have been using HP printers for years, because they have such good support for Linux.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

dgoddard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dgoddard » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:50 pm

I am in serious need of a printer promptly.
Color is a must
Laser is preferred very strongly
Scanning is needed but a separate unit would suffice.

I do not want anything that requires me to do the set up of the printer in terminal mode. (every time I try to go into terminal mode to install anything it keeps coming back with prompts written in jargon that I do not understand and I do not have hours to spend on figuring out what to do next, time after time.

While HP seems to make a good product, I detest their business model which seems to be Gouge the customer on supplies. I would rather buy from a company that puts a fair price on BOTH the printer and the supplies
Preferably either Mint already knows how to drive the printer or the printer comes with an installation software that knows how to work with Linux Mint
------------------------
I am currently running a Toshiba Satellite P55-A5200 (It is a laptop and Yes I had to defeat secure Boot !)

LinuxMintRelease 17.1 (rebecca)
Kernel Linux 313.0-37-generic
Mate 1.8.1

Hardware
Memory 5l7GiB
Processor 0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Processor 1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Processor 2: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Processor 3: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz

System Status
Available disk Space:615.5 GiB

It will greatly simplify my life If I can get it from a reliable supplier, and hopefully not via Internet order if it is something that Office Depot or Best buy or some such place where I can pick it up rather than let it get damaged or lost in the Christmas rush.

All help will be appreciated.
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from

Da Londo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Da Londo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:12 am

I'm using a Dell C1765nfw out of the box for 2 months now. Printer/scanner/copier, laser, color, wifi.

dgoddard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dgoddard » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Da Londo wrote:I'm using a Dell C1765nfw out of the box for 2 months now. Printer/scanner/copier, laser, color, wifi.
That looks like a good choice but Dell says it is out of production and recommended there E525w I see from the manual for the E525w that there is a setup for several Linux distro's and the one for Ubuntu 12.4 appeared to be the closest. It did require setup via terminal mode but they gave the specific entries to be used.

Da Londo:
, How did you set your C1765nfw. Did it require assistance from Dell or was it true plug and play and if Plug and play then in what mode? USB?, Wifi? etc. and where did you get the driver?

Anybody:
Can anybody comment on the Dell E525w? I see from the dell site the paper tray and the difficulty of doing envelopes come under heavy criticism and some consider it a deal breaker.

Although not still in production I see that the C1765nfw is still readily available The Dell sales rep described it as an enterprize printinng rather than a home use unit like the E525w which may explain the $75 lower cost for the E525w and the poor envelope printing problems.

I am not committed to either of these two printers so any other recommended candidates would be appreciated.
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from

Da Londo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Da Londo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:39 am

It was plug and play, I added it to my home network and all was ok, no specific driver used.

Return to “Hardware Support”