Dial-up modem problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carandol

Dial-up modem problem

Post by carandol »

I've been trying to set up Mint 5 on a friend's old laptop (a Clevo 2800T). He only has dial-up internet access, and I've been unable to get the internal modem working. In Puppy Linux, the modem was detected as on /dev/ttyS0 and worked perfectly. I've put the modem icon on the toolbar, and tried the same settings as in Puppy, but the options for connecting and disconnecting on the modem icon menu remain greyed out. I also tried /dev/modem and that didn't work either. It looks like it should all be very simple, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hotweiss

Re: Dial-up modem problem

Post by hotweiss »

carandol

Re: Dial-up modem problem

Post by carandol »

Oof! No, I hadn't. It seems awfully complicated, especially since the machine in question can't connect to the internet until this problem is sorted out. I installed Mint because it's good at working out of the box, but it seems like the poor dial-up users have been left by the wayside. For what my friend needs his PC for, it's going to be much easier to install Puppy Linux -- life's too short to compile source code.

Return to “Hardware Support”