Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimthedj65
Level 1
Level 1

Lenovo 100 (14.0 inch Notebook (Intel N2840 Dual Core 2x2.5

Post by jimthedj65 »

Hi All,

I recently installed Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa on to my MacBook Air 2015 Model and got it all working except the built in camera due to no pci support on my model.... I am teaching my 2 young boys boys the basics of hardware computing and give them experience on educational open source software to experiment and discover without the huge cost of windows builds, I have chosen Linux Mint 17.3 to do this to help them understand computers as opposed to letting them go dumb on a windows build.

I have searched on the Lenovo 100 (14.0 Inch) Notebook (Intel N2840 Dual Core 2x2.58 GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB S-ATA HDD, Intel HD Graphic, HDMI, Webcam, Bluetooth, USB 3.0, WLAN

If anyone can point me to reference on getting this budget notebook to work with mint/ I would appreciate any info or links... If this has been posted before, I apologise, I did search extensively, but could not find anything on this model....

Details of the laptop:
Lenovo 100 (14.0) Notebook (Intel N2840 Dual Core 2x2.58 GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB S-ATA HDD, Intel HD Graphic, HDMI, Webcam, Bluetooth, USB 3.0, WLAN

Any help will be appreciated.
puft_toad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo 100 (14.0 inch Notebook (Intel N2840 Dual Core 2x2.5

Post by puft_toad »

I recently loaded Linux Mint 17.3 to a Lenovo ideapad 100 and wanted to share back. I cannot say it was without challenges, and there are still things that I have not resolved, including the integrated web camera.

To get the operating system installed, you will have to wrestle with secure boot. Please read this link, I found this very helpful, though you may have to search the site for "lenovo laptop", the link does not always take you directly to the page with the article...

http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/07/27/how-­t ... 0­-laptop/

The next challenge is the wifi card. Although this appears to be a work in progress, I used this solution successfully:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/590414/w ... tu­-14­-04

The only challenge is that this puts a lot of faith in one author, although he is obviously brilliant enough to write a working driver...

Currently looking for solutions on the integrated web camera... Please let me know if you find anything relevant...
Last edited by puft_toad on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
puft_toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puft_toad »

Web camera recently started working. I would like to take credit for this, but I don't believe I can. Though I have installed several different software packages to try to instantiate the camera (including Cheese and guvcview) it was still not functioning. Until it started functioning. Hmmm... the conspiracy theorist in me says they're now watching my every move... lol!

Anyway the camera now defines itself as LenovoEasyCamera, though I believe I will have to reinstall the above applications in order to make them work, I was able to use the webcam with a newly installed Chromium web browser...

Tom
puft_toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puft_toad »

No good news to report here -

As I have found out, there are lots of people who have come across power management issues with this laptop! Query the web and you will see this, and it says pretty clearly that if you haven't purchased this computer, don't do it. It is not a good investment, even considering the relatively low price!

Having said that, if you are already working with this laptop, and still have the Windows operating system on it, Lenovo offers a firmware fix. The issue is that using the laptop as shipped, you will be UNABLE to charge the laptop if the battery falls below a certain level. The AC adapter becomes useless at this point. Here is the location of this critical fix, but again, only if you have Windows...

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... beta=false

Further, it is very difficult to disassemble this computer to get at the battery, do upgrades, etc.. The keyboard needs to be removed to access any of the internal components, and is all but guaranteed to break when removed. Lenovo has a users guide that gives some tips, but I did not find this helpful...

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mo ... :UserGuide

So at this point, I am typing this from an externally connected keyboard, on a laptop that I don't think I can take away from the power source for any significant amount of time. (Actually it will last away from the power source for about 3 hours, but figuring out how to wire the battery to charge externally is a pain I don't really want to deal with...) Would anybody out there have knowledge about how to convert the Windows firmware executable into a Linux executable?

Tom
puft_toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puft_toad »

Finally found a vendor who sells replacement keyboards for this laptop at reasonable prices. EBay has several vendors listed, this one worked for me:
REALLY COMPATIBLE NEW US Keyboard for Lenovo IdeaPad 100-15IBD ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-UK- ... 2154411921 ).

Back in business now, and looking for additional memory for this laptop...

Return to “Hardware Support”