Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
preacher_d
Level 1
Level 1

USB ports stop working

Post by preacher_d »

Hi mint brothers,
I installed linux mint 17 cinnamon 32 bit on HP compaq 6220. But sometimes usb ports stop working. I update kernel 4.2.0-34-generic, but no changes, One time working one time not. I use tp-link wireless for internet, and when ports stop working I put usb flash disk but PC not recognize it and didn't show when I put it. I put on and off few times and suddenly start working, why and how I can't understand. If someone have any ideas, please help. Sorry about my English. Thanks.
658Blue
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB ports stop working

Post by 658Blue »

I had a similar problem, and I used dmesg to solve it. I was using a USB extender hub (powered from the USB port), and with a USB stick inserted, the USB stick would disconnect and reconnect intermittently.

I removed the USB extender hub from the computer's USB port.

I rebooted the machine.

Before doing anything else, I open a terminal, and I typed dmesg

Next I inserted the USB extender hub into the computer's USB port.

In the terminal, I again typed dmesg

I compared the results of both outputs of the dmesg commands in the terminal window.

The second output showed that the USB port with the extender connected was running at a much lower speed than USB 2.0 specifications.

My example may give you some insight for using dmesg to solve the problem with your USB issue.
LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim »

USB ports will shut down if you plug in a device that draws too much power, or has a faulty cable.

Depending on the design, they may recover automatically in a few seconds to several minutes, or they may require the PC to be shut down before recovering.
preacher_d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by preacher_d »

LinuxJim wrote:USB ports will shut down if you plug in a device that draws too much power, or has a faulty cable.

Depending on the design, they may recover automatically in a few seconds to several minutes, or they may require the PC to be shut down before recovering.
Hi Jim, thank you for your replay. Did you have any idea, how I can understand, if a laptop have problem with cable(some program or application in linux )? Because too much power with wireless is impossible( it's my opinion)

Return to “Hardware Support”