List of support TV tuner card on Linux mint and How to

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nlou

Re: List of support TV tuner card on Linux mint and How to

Post by nlou »

I have this low budget chinese usb receiver Astrometa AMDVB-T2 v2 and it is working quite well after some work. Instructions and overview of the device here: http://blog.palosaari.fi/2014/09/naked- ... t2-v2.html

I use dvb-c receiver of the stick. Only problem is sometimes locking issues with me-tv (czap -x .... before starting me-tv helps). Use with thveadend is tricky, because this device is multi receiver card and tvheadend seems to have problem with receiver that is second on the list. Tvheadend have also difficulties to deal with dvb-c after restart because it thinks it is dvb-t.
Trollenator

Post by Trollenator »

Thank you serbian!

I just installed 17.1 today and am using Linux since I last tried it 10 years ago. RedHat I believe.

A big concern for me was being able to use my ATI WonderCard with it and it seems it's on the GO list so that's another big plus toward skipping a dual-boot system and going full Mint.

I just slapped together a unit from a decent case I scrounged at the local dump 2 days ago and installed Cinnamon on an old 500G IDE drive. Working like a charm so far and I'm loving it. This XP box I'm using now is blowing capacitors and not long for this world. :)

Great post!

L8r
shuttle3000

Post by shuttle3000 »

i work with beholder 409 on linux mint 16. All work great. But.... There are NOT good soft like windows behold-tv. tvtime and vlc - uncomfortable and configured manually for a long time . no the normal Linux software for television..
uk_martin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uk_martin »

Hi

I have a Medion AKOYA P4020 D all-in-one PC onto which I've deleted Windows and installed Linux Mint, for my first experience in Linux. Please therefore excuse me being a "noob" and knowing little about what I'm talking about lol

I'd like to be able to watch TV but am confused as to how to go about the installation process. Not least of which is the fact that I don't know which TV Tuner card is built in to the PC.

How can I identify what the built-in TV Tuner card is please?

Thanks in advance

Martin
Eaglecat

Post by Eaglecat »

I got my Leadtek Winfast DTV1000s working in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon. Running well on on Me-TV.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

I got a couple of capture cards I want working in Mint Cinnamon 17.3, but can't seem to get them working. Specifically the composite and S-video inputs. I have a PVR-150 and a HVR-1600. Can anyone help me get these working?
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

I don't find it difficult to find a tv tuner compatible with linux
This cheap tv tuner is completely compatible with linux but you must have a version 4.xx kernel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recorder-Receiv ... Sw~OdVZW~R

i bought it for my hp stream ultrabook (linux mint 18 64bit) and works sweetly !
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

I am still using my quite old Pinnacle usb mini stick pro digital tuner/capture /pvr whatever its full title was. It uses the 800e or 800i type drivers and though happauge bought pinnacles interests out years ago I continue to have both of mine functioning well still. for the purposes of this forum, i use one on my Linux machine Mint 17.3 Mate x64 and up to kernel 4.2.something and going ahead up a step or 2 ,It is a box made from spare parts, all are 5yrs old or so, amd products. Phenom II x4 965be overclocked somewhat and i use a very old gpu in the box at present the gigabyte hd4670 1gb gddr3 i believe hdmi htpc or HDTV ready or something like that. it is slower than i like but really does handle streaming video well, and dvds i have as well as iso saved movies or videos i downloaded from public domain and onto a LG42" lc550 .put a 128gb ssd from crucial m4 i think too
as far as using the pinnacle/happague i found plenty of help here and at the linuxtv site mentioned a few posts above
i downloaded Me-TV and used those software settings to get the USA, where i live, frequencies and it works flawlessly. i put a new Leaf antenna on it and the tuner in this particular usb pro stick gets as strong receptions as a samsung p260hd 26" touch of color tv tuner gets in the same exact location. i left the antenna in the best spot here where i live and put it in the samsung for ota local stations and then put the pinnacle pvr in the computer and used the same Leaf antenna connection for testing. the tuner in the usb stick gets as many of the available stations at the same % power strength ,but better than that, I can see how great the picture quality is over that range of 20 channels , the tuner in my LG42ld550 in my living room has a pretty good tuner in it as well and with the same Leaf antenna i matched the pinnacle pvr device with Me-TV and downloaded frequencies back to back on the same screens as both my samsung and LG have built in tuners and monitor modes
So, I like the Me-TV software, i have tried the VLC since it came with the MInt17 installation but it was harder to set up and Me-TV was a breeze, after reading the information here and through linuxtv.org i think is the site,but noted above right here anyhow
i have zero complaints with Me-TV in mint 17.3 mate and i have used mint ltr since it came out as 17.1 and from Kernel 3.13,16 i think maybe a little higher, whatever it installed with that first month , or week , of it s release. I have undated kernels all along to 3.19.53 then up to 4.02 or .05,and now at 4.2. something. me-tv and the 8yr old or so, maybe even 10yr old almost forget really the combo of these things just works , i record, save and can convert videos and have a little bit of play with the kind of audio format
I use the other exact same device twin really , got with in a week of each other , but i use it on a windows7sp1 x64 professional box i use it with my digital cable box but use it with only channel 4 on the device and manually change the cox cable mini box to whatever channel i need to record. However, I actually get better pic quality with over the air but there are 3 or 4 cable channels that are not in over the air distance from my current location. and , on that windows box, i use a happauge final release beta that offers no guarantee of workability and some glitches do exist such as losing some settings now and then.no big deal, just custom folders to send the recorded shows and converted videos, plus they have pay for tiers for upgraded things, features, like audio codec upgrades and server functions for remote somethings or others, and the few upgrades available are about $10 ,and since i have no big interest neither have any idea of the extent of feature unlocks available nor costs. but there are a few i read and did get a short reply from some people or person at the support side. I have not updated, or upgraded the software package version,i do not think there have been any for my device or class in at least 3 or 4yrs.however, it works good enough to save a PBS movie or something while i am doing something else on other devices.
bottom line of that last bit is that i believe that the Linux -me-tv software is better , more stable and comprehensive than the made for happauge and pinnacle really stuff at this point in time at any rate. i find the end result of recordings is far superior in the ME-TV /Mint 17.3 machine and equal in each kernel I have used over the past year or however long Mint17 has been out. I am brand new to Linux anything stating with the release of Mint 17,so I had plenty of easy to understand help via forums such as this one and other Linux and/or Mint pages. I think i have exhausted the bulk of my information about Mint 17 , Me-TV and my Pinnacle usb pvr, tuner recording device , I wish I had better luck with the VLC OTA station set up. was over my brand new Linux user head at the time. I was able to get the me-tv via the package manager too, I believe it was on the software manager page as well, though i had no clue as to which was which or did what or when to use either
phoenix_art

Post by phoenix_art »

Dear Community,

I'm writing to You because I've got a card from Your list -> 34. card=34 - Leadtek WinFast 2000/ WinFast 2000 XP -> its almost perfect working. I've got all my channels and get pictures too - but there is no sound. My volume levels are ok - everything is on 100% and unmuted in alsamixer.

Please help me getting the sound in TVtime or XawTV!

Thank You!
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

phoenix_art wrote:Dear Community,

I'm writing to You because I've got a card from Your list -> 34. card=34 - Leadtek WinFast 2000/ WinFast 2000 XP -> its almost perfect working. I've got all my channels and get pictures too - but there is no sound. My volume levels are ok - everything is on 100% and unmuted in alsamixer.

Please help me getting the sound in TVtime or XawTV!

Thank You!
Have you checked out the 'sound preferences' in the right click on the sound icon. I know i have options to use a few things from my pvr card, gpu and built in. picking proper analogue or digital in the hardware tab and 'output' tabs is important. I had gotten myself into a dither because i forgot to switch from the hdmi/digital to the speakers /analogue settings. simple for my issue
hope yours is so simple
John
phoenix_art

Post by phoenix_art »

Thanks for the reply - I've tried all of the options in the sound properties but the sound still muted. :S
phoenix_art

Post by phoenix_art »

Any other tips for getting unmute the sound with TVTIME or XAWTV? I think it need to be a small problem - because this tuner card worked completely with picture and sound before - for example Ubuntu 7.04 and 8.04 too.

And another problem with another computer and tuner card - please help someone -> I've got an AVerTV Hybrid Volar HD - H830 - and I need install this to my Linux Mint 18 x64. How to do this?

Many thanks!
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

for those who are still looking for a USB TV tuner that just works in Linux.

I went herehttp://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_292e.html

PCTV tripleStick HD 292e TV Tuner

Click on the Linux tab. Linux support for the PCTV 292e is in kernel 3.16.

Click on the link “for more information see here”

Firmware. dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw from the link "openelec soursetree"

Make sure you download the correct firmware. Copy the firmware into /lib/firmware.

Plug in the Triple Stick and boot your computer. Open Kaffeine and scan for channels. Job done.

Very pleased.

Best regards Keith
4human

Post by 4human »

Not sure that this is the right topic to ask... if not just say it:)
The question is that if the PCI DVB S2 card will do for single core CPU and if the quality of the stream could be decreased for saving recourses.
Or am leaving to watch SD quality channels only. So which DVB S2 is best for my system?
Athlon64 2GHz
RAM 2Gb
AGP
22 inch Screen
uk_martin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uk_martin »

Hi

I have a Medion Akoya "All-In-One" PC with Linux Mint on it. One of the features of this PC is the integrated TV Tuner Card and webcam.

I'm told by Medion that the TV card is the Creatix CTX1920 miniPCIe and the Webcam is an Azurwave AM-1C025. The TV card, apparently has a The card has a Philipps/NXP/Trident SAA7231 chip inside.

Has anyone seen drivers for these, or know of any generic Linux drivers which will bring these component parts of my PC into action please? Has anyone any experience with these? https://linuxtv.org/downloads/drivers/

Please bear in mind my Linux expertise is at the foot of the learning curve. Please be gentle with the tech-speak lol.

Thanks in advance

Martin
schmultruc

Post by schmultruc »

Hello all !

Don't miss TBS tuners, usb, PCI or PCIe. They have HDTV boxes too. They all dedicated to work under linux.

I've one PCIe installed. Work like a charm under my brand new Linux Mint !
JoeH

Post by JoeH »

Thanks for reply.........don't understand the majority of it........but thanks anyway.
Atypical User

Post by Atypical User »

Previously mentioned but worth repeating: If you are looking for support for your tuner device in Linux, start here: https://www.linuxtv.org/

A shortcut to the hardware links is here, currently:
https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... nformation

The site's search works, but you might need to be specific due to case sensitivity.

If you don't know what hardware you have on your system, here's a terminal command that might help:

lspci -vnn

Look for "video controller" or "Multimedia video controller" or similar in the list of devices. You can perform an Internet search for the number pair in brackets on the "video controller" line to help you identify the device if the subsystem line doesn't have enough information to do so. For example:

Code: Select all

03:00.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb [14f1:8880] (rev 04)
	Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb [0070:6a18]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
	Memory at c0600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: cx23885
	Kernel modules: cx23885
For this entry I searched online for "14f1:8880".

If you run the command with sudo as a prefix, the capabilities will be shown, although at this point running the command with admin rights isn't really needed. Without sudo it will still tell you if your kernel already supports the device with a kernel driver.

My Recent Experiences

I'm growing fond of the Hauppauge units that work on Linux and support ATSC (I'm in the US).

First I started with the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q, a USB-based tuner:
https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... V-HVR-955Q

It works with Linux Mint 17.3 in any USB 2.0 port, although I vaguely recall needing to download the driver mentioned in the link above.

This device consumes about one watt. It runs warm to the touch. Reception is good if the signal is good. Kodi can display the signal strength for the first channel tuned if the backend server (e.g., TVHeadend) provides it. It works for the first channel tuned from the starting menu but not for subsequent channel changes until you return to the starting menu.

The system log will likely tell you if you have reception errors.

I was able to view TV channels in VLC although I had to specify them by frequency, not something that the average viewer will know off-hand. I believe you can get or set up a template for VLC to map frequencies to channel numbers or names, but I went straight to TVHeadend as a server -- it selects channels, provides schedules, records shows and is configurable to set timer rules to record shows even when they are on different days.

(It's good, but I'm not recommending it solely because it is difficult to set up and the documentation that's part of the web interface can be incomplete where you need help the most. Yet I don't know of any simple backend in Linux that would be as powerful. This is just a recounting of my experiences.)

TVHeadend is not very user-friendly, although 4.2.3 is easier to use than 4.0.8. In the US, you'll want ATSC-T for terrestrial over-the-air (OTA) reception. If you are just using the OTA PSIP (something like "program and system information protocol") electronic program guide (EPG), TVHeadend is relatively simple to set up. The PSIP information is unfortunately limited to what the broadcaster provides, which can be as little as 8 hours of schedule.

If you want to set it up for using XMLTV (e.g., to use Schedules Direct -- see http://www.schedulesdirect.org), that's a bit more involved. You have to override the EIT/PSIP support for each channel and then link the XMLTV channel by ID value to the OTA channel.

For the front-end I went with Kodi. You'll need the TVHeadend PVR add-on before Kodi will be able to do anything useful with TVHeadend (or the PVR add-on for any PVR server), but this is easily added within Kodi for most PVR servers. For the schedule, the TVHeadend add-on must not be set for asynchronous retrieval.

After I encountered the need to record two programs at the same time, I obtained this PCIe card, the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD (ATSC ClearQAM):
https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... _ClearQAM)

There are two versions of the Hauppauge quad-tuner card; if you go this route you'll want the one for your region. The DVB version is supported in kernel 4.8 (card=56); the ATSC version requires kernel 4.9 or later (card=57). This support is automatic with Linux Mint 18 once updated to kernel 4.10 as part of the official updates, if you select the kernel for updating; kernel updates are not selected by default unless you decide to always update everything.

This video controller card needs more CPU power than the single-channel USB tuner. My Haswell quad-core 3.2-GHz I5-4690S works just fine to display four channels at once in small windows with the integrated graphics support of the Intel CPU. This is fairly useless other than for demonstration purposes, but the card is excellent at recording multiple shows simultaneously; I'm recording two HD news programs and one SD science fiction show as I type this.

The card itself uses about 7-8 watts. The power management feature doesn't seem to be supported by the driver yet. The channel signal strength is also not displayed. The recording of those three shows used an additional 5-7 watts by the system.

The current official Kodi release, Krypton 17.6 (as I write), is excellent at software rendering 1080i live TV and recordings using a reasonably-fast CPU onto a 1280x1024 monitor. It would likely do even better with either a CPU that supports hardware video acceleration or a dedicated GPU.
vaca
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vaca »

Hi excellent old tv turner usb hauppage hvr900 perfect linux mint 18,3 ,with firmware added drxd-b1-1.1.fw and xc3028-v27.fw full support complete me tv !

Acer 7542G/4gb ram/Mint20 usb 1TB. Hp Elitedesk 800 G3 Mini 35 wt /i5 7500T /16GB RAM DDR4 2400/UEFI MINT 20 1 TB USB3 /240GB SSD sata/!
hoginen

Post by hoginen »

Are there any drivers for skystar hd2?

Return to “Hardware Support”