How to boot in compatibility mode after install

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Op2mus

How to boot in compatibility mode after install

Post by Op2mus »

I have searched the forums and haven't been able to find a solution to my issue, I apologize if this topic has been addressed previously.

I created a bootable Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 USB drive and when I first booted from the live disk my keyboard and touchpad on my Toshiba Satellite L875D-S7332 laptop were unresponsive. I restarted the machine and selected compatibility mode from the GRUB, all the hardware on my laptop seemed to be working just fine while in compatibility mode on the USB live disk. Connected to my wireless network, played around for a bit and decided that i was happy with the distro and decided to install.

I installed Mint on a unalloccated 100GB partition on my hard disk that I had previously freed up in windows 10. When I select Mint from the GRUB again my touchpad, mouse and wireless card are all not functioning. I plugged in a USB mouse and keyboard which allowed me to log in to the OS, connected to the internet through a wired cable and attempted to update the drivers. When searching for drivers the only one that updated was my GPU, which I believe did fix one of my issues. I got a warning about how the OS was in something like 'critical mode' or something like that, can't remember, but it said something about the GPU and how it was going to be slow until I updated the driver for the GPU if I remember correctly.

Is there a way to boot to compatibility mode from GRUB? I have searched here and elsewhere to no avail. I don't understand why everything worked perfectly from the USB live disk in compatibility mode but hardly anything is working after install. I know it isn't my touchpad or keyboard since this is a dual boot and everything works fine when I boot to windows. Anyways, sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to be thorough and I'm sure you guys will need more info or screenshots after running console commands. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice for me! I haven't used Linux for a few years, I used to love lubuntu. Had it on two dinosaur laptops and they ran like speed demons, couldn't believe it.
Op2mus

Re: How to boot in compatibility mode after install

Post by Op2mus »

Can anyone tell me if I posted this in the right area? I'm not trying to be impatient I just figured someone might have an idea it's possible to boot in compatibility mode after you install the OS to your hard disk. Maybe it's only possible from a live disk?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

When powering on edit grub kernel parameters and replace quiet splash with the following parameters:

Code: Select all

noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll 
Op2mus

Post by Op2mus »

Laurent85 wrote:When powering on edit grub kernel parameters and replace quiet splash with the following parameters:

Thank you, I will give this a try and report back.
Op2mus

Post by Op2mus »

Laurent85 wrote:When powering on edit grub kernel parameters and replace quiet splash with the following parameters:

This worked, thank you very much!
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

You can permanently change the default grub kernel parameters. Open a terminal and edit /etc/default/grub:

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Save & exit.

Change line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll"
Update grub:

sudo update-grub
Next reboot you won't have to edit grub kernel parameters.
pinckston

Post by pinckston »

Replying to an old post but may be useful to some, would have to me!

In the installer "grub" menu you can edit boot options by pressing Tab, if you do this on compatibility mode you will see listed "nomodeset noapic, etc. These are simply in the wrong place in the string to persist after install.

On normal install these do not show up when pressing tab at all, it ends with "quiet splash - -". It turns out that anything added after the - - is persistent after install!

Simply add the commands after the double hyphen AND a space, with a space separating each one, then boot and install. If you're having issues with WiFi make sure to connect BEFORE running the installer, as it will NOT connect from the installer.
asdfuioda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asdfuioda »

In my case, F8 and shift did not work, but escape did. Found the solution here: viewtopic.php?p=1086021#p1086021

The method is to:
  • Press Escape as soon as you see the boot splash screen
  • Choose recovery mode in the advanced boot options
  • Choose resume to continue booting into the system
In my case, this approach is needed because the default kernel does not work for the built-in wifi and crashes the boot. In compatibility/recovery mode it works for like 30 minutes before crashing, but that's enough to install a new kernel!

Return to “Hardware Support”