XBOX One controller not detected (Mint 17.3 Cinnamon)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kardahs
Level 1
Level 1

XBOX One controller not detected (Mint 17.3 Cinnamon)

Post by Kardahs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi everybody,
I started using Linux for good a few months ago (after I decided Microsoft's push for Win10 migration and Win10 intrusive way of working were too much for me), I got things running more or less although it's rather hard for me as soon as it's not double click and go :D
What always kept me with Windows since Win95 was mainly gaming, but with the new options now offered most notably by Steam and GOG I could finally switch and I'm not buying any more Windows only games (might make an exception for Battlefield 5 when it's out however :evil: ).

Now to the problem, I just bought an XBOX One controller (with wireless adaptor) and although there should be a native support for it in the Linux kernel since 3.17 (I'm using Mint 17.3 with 3.19 kernel) it does not work for me. When I plug it in via micro USB (I didn't even think about wireless for now) it rumbles and that's it, it won't show in the Steam parameters or in any Steam game. When I press the XBOX button on the controller it blinks a few times and turns off but nothing else happens.

I've been reading everywhere since a week but I'm unable to understand how that should work and what to do. I understand that the xpad driver should be what makes the controller usable but I didn't find how to enable this driver (if it's not enabled by default), where to find this driver on the computer or how to check if it's there at all. I've read some are using xboxdrv for their controllers but this seems rather to be for XBOX 360 controllers. I've searched Steam forums, Mint forum and Googled everywhere but I can't get any clue, that's why I'm finally asking there.

So if someone has an idea about how I should proceed to get this controller working I would be very grateful :)

joezooka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: XBOX One controller not detected (Mint 17.3 Cinnamon)

Post by joezooka » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:11 pm

did you ever find a fix for this. I am having the same problem and unable to see the xbox one controller either through USB or wirelessly.

BabboDemonio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BabboDemonio » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi I was facing the same problem in Linux Mint 18, and I solved it by installing this custom version of the driver:https://github.com/paroj/xpad. I hope it'll help.

Kardahs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kardahs » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Just tested this and it works !

Many thanks for the tip, now we only miss wireless support :mrgreen:

BabboDemonio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BabboDemonio » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:54 am

Kardahs wrote:Just tested this and it works !

Many thanks for the tip, now we only miss wireless support :mrgreen:
I am glad I helped, for I remember I searched a lot to find that :D

JakeLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JakeLinux » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:58 pm

I tried to put the driver in and I get Sudo: git: is not a command. Can anyone help with that?

Liquid Divide
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Liquid Divide » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 am

JakeLinux wrote:I tried to put the driver in and I get Sudo: git: is not a command. Can anyone help with that?
I realize this is old, but just in case, you need to install git first.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git-all

JeffYoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JeffYoo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:21 am

Hi Everyone,

I am having problems with getting this to work. I followed the instructions on the GitHub readme. But after everything finished running, there was no response from the controller. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks

allenstenhaus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allenstenhaus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 pm

I am running into the same problem on Mint 19. If anyone has any thoughts they could share, I would appreciate it. This is literally the only thing in Mint I have been unable to get working properly, which is rather infuriating. I'm tired of Windows 10's updates breaking computers (I'm in IT, so I see that a LOT). Mint has never broken on me. So if I could get my Xbox One Controller working (wired), I would be a very happy Mint user.

Return to “Hardware Support”