[SOLVED] Nvidia Install Help

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Evin

[SOLVED] Nvidia Install Help

Post by Evin »

I cannot for the life of me get the nvidia-drivers to work with Linux Mint Fluxbox Edition. I have followed every guide with no luck. It just comes up in horrible resolution and I have to revert back to the nv driver.

The first problem I had was that lspci didn't truly detect the exact card I had. I did a ton of installs / uninstalls of the nvidia-driver(s) before I caught this. I found an article on the forums and ran the following command which now detects my card.

Code: Select all

sudo update-pciids
which now gives me in lspci

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GTX260-216] (rev a1)
I have verified the 02:00.0 is correct in my xorg. I have modified the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common to include nv (and nvidia_new also).

I guess my first question is the GTX 260 supported under the current drivers / kernel available to me? Then I do not know where to go from here

uname -r

2.6.24-23-generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Nvidia Install Help

Post by proxima_centauri »

How have you tried to install the drivers so far Evin?

Did you try installing the "nvidia-glx" (something like that) package in Synaptic? did you try the drivers from the official website?
If you have done one of the above, have you made any modifications to xorg.conf, run nvidia-xconfig, etc??
Evin

Post by Evin »

Thanks for your reply.

I sure did try all of those. I downloaded the 180 version from nVidia and have tried to install it numerous times only for it to fail. Ran it with the --uninstall command to clean it up. I only tried the nvidia-glx option once and cannot remember if that was before or after the pciid update, so I might give it a try again.

I do modify the xorg.conf to point to nvidia and it fails, but as soon as I revert it back to the nv driver it works fine. I did run nvidia-xconfig also.

I have no idea why this is not working. I am a Gentoo convert (don't hate me) and love Ubuntu. I just want to try to play some of my games, if possible, in Linux and see how well they perform.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Perhaps you should follow this guide here and see if there are any other steps that you may not have followed.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... postcount=
Evin

Post by Evin »

That seemed to get them installed proxima, thanks for the help. Now I have to figure out why I get the black screen / lockups. I used to have to put some kernel parameters in Gentoo (irqpoll etc) and I found them on nVidia's site so I am searching there. Thanks for the help.

Found out my lockups are caused by CPU Frequency Scaling so I did a /etc/init.d/powernowd stop and the freezing seems to have stopped.

Return to “Hardware Support”