Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
PcPixel
Level 1
Level 1

VGA Output on Acer laptop doesn't work properly

Postby PcPixel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right area for this, but I'll take a shot at it.

I have an Acer Extensa 4620z laptop that I'm using as my replacement workstation. I figure it made mroe sense to have a lightweight laptop I just "dock" versus having two systems.

Everything works ok except the monitor output. When I hook up an external monitor, I get a picture just fine but I can't blank the laptop screen. If I close the laptop lid, the system will work ok but after a little while the screen will start to "blink". Almost like its trying to put itself to sleep or something.

Any ideas?

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: VGA Output on Acer laptop doesn't work properly

Postby viking777 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Two ideas actually.

1) Leave the laptop screen alone why do you want to blank it? I have the exact same setup as you and I just leave the screen running and on the odd occasion that I need to, I move windows onto it (not often I admit)

2) The 'blinking' is probably your screensaver trying to kick in. Search through the settings and disable the screensaver (sorry I can't be more specific, but I use xfce not gnome so for me it comes under Settings/Screensaver settings, but probably not the same in gnome).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Return to “Hardware Support”