[solved] ASRock skylake flooding syslog with gpe6F

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

[solved] ASRock skylake flooding syslog with gpe6F

Post by DarrenG »

I finally updated my ancient system with a Pentium G4400 and 8g ram on an ASRock H110M-DGS. I pondered waiting until mint 18 came out but I booted it barebones with a 17.3 usb thumbdrive and everything looked great so I decided to go ahead and transfer all the accessories over to the new system. All sweet for a couple of days until I got a message that my root partition was full.

I noticed that /var/log/syslog and var/log/kern.log were enormous and they were filled with the same error hundreds of times a second:
ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, while evaluating GPE method [_L6F]

I looked around and found this is a known problem with ASRock Z170M boards and obviously applies to my H110M as well.

There is a good description of the fault at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=117481 but to be honest the solution was a bit over my head.

I kept looking and found suggestions that upgrading my kernel to 4.4 would solve the problem. I used mint update to install 4.4.0-22 but that made no difference at all to the problem. This makes me wonder if this will be fixed in Mint18, or if it will require an update from ASRock.

The easiest to follow posting on the topic I found was in an amazon review:
Linux users be warned, there is a constant ACPI interrupt that continuously spams your syslog. For me, the log was growing approximately 1 mB/s and pegged a core at 100% usage. Search gpe6f acpi error for more information. It seems to be a problem with skylake motherboards, but other manufacturers have fixed the issue with a BIOS update, ASROCK has not.
A band-aide fix is to disable gpe6F interrupts. For ubuntu, open up a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo -s
echo "disable" > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe6F
This has to be done at every boot, or you can add it to /etc/rc.local to execute automatically at startup.
I entered the terminal commands then deleted the offending log files and sure enough they stopped regrowing. :D

Now to make it permanent:

sudo -s gedit /etc/rc.local
then copy and paste

before the exit 0 line.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ASRock skylake flooding syslog with gpe6F

Post by DarrenG »

As I suspected, the ASRock skylake gpe6F bug is also present in Linux Mint 18 beta Cinnamon. I just booted my system with a thumb drive and /var/log/syslog and var/log/kern.log grew until they filled my thumbdrive.
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [solved] ASRock skylake flooding syslog with gpe6F

Post by DarrenG »

ASRock_TSD emailed me bios L1.71 which solves this problem.
at the moment it is not listed at http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-DG ... ad&os=BIOS
Hopefully it will be up there soon, or you could probably ask for it from Asrock_TSD@asrock.com.tw
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DarrenG »

I thanked ASRock and mentioned that the BIOS wasn't listed on their support page. They replied that they only provide official support for windows 7-8-10. The L prefix indicates that it is an Linux version for inhouse use and will not be put on their website. So if you want it you'll have to contact them directly. I'm grateful they emailed me the fix but I'm disappointed at their public attitude towards linux. I guess ASRock don't really want linux users' money, and I'll be taking that into account next time I'm shopping for motherboards. :x
Dear Darren,
Thank you for contacting ASRock!
Because the ASRock H110M-DGS official support Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit / 8.1 64-bit / 7 32-bit / 7 64-bit.
This BIOS is for our internal test to fix the issue about Linux OS, therefore, we haven't update this BIOS to our website and mark it as "L"1.71 version.
Despite of this, we still suggest user following the product SPEC to install the supported OS.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
ASRock TSD
numbetto

Post by numbetto »

HI Darren,
I am having exactly the same problem with the same configuration (MB and CPU). I am using UBUNTU. Would it be possible for you to share the bios update? It would be very helpful to me.
Carlo.
fabrixx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fabrixx »

Same problem with my ASrock H170 Pro4 core i7 6700 fixed:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/176565/w ... et-so-high

I have to update bios?
dustystrings3001

Post by dustystrings3001 »

I have an ASROCK Z170 Extreme6 motherboard with an I7-6700 Skylake processor, and was taking care of the gpe6F flooding issue by manually disabling the interrupt as follows:
# echo "disable" > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe6F
as other people have indicated in earlier posts. This had to be done manually each time I rebooted, until I found another post by DarrenG on June 08, 2016 that recommended modifying /etc/rc.local to include the fix (see red font new line below). Darren's recommendation worked well for me:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
exit 0

But at the end of December 2016, I downloaded- and applied ASROCK BIOS version 2.60 (file name Z17EX62.60) after email communication with ASROCK. This zipped file is 8Mb in size - too large to attach to this posting (I tried). This new version of the BIOS cleared up the interrupt issue; proof is that the following terminal command now shows zero interrupts for gpe6F:
$ grep enabled /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/*
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ff_gbl_lock: 0 enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ff_pwr_btn: 0 enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe61: 0 enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe62: 0 enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe66: 0 enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe67: 0 enabled
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe6F: 0 enabled

The only problem is that the BIOS upgrade may have also cleared out my Skylake overclocking, but I was aware of this possibility before I applied the upgrade and decided to go for it anyway.
hminster

Post by hminster »

I have an Asrock H110M-HDS motherboard.
The flood of gpe6F errors was fixed by a BIOS update 7.30 (H110M-HDS(7.30)ROM.zip) available from Asrock.
Winklejon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Winklejon »

hminster wrote:I have an Asrock H110M-HDS motherboard.
The flood of gpe6F errors was fixed by a BIOS update 7.30 (H110M-HDS(7.30)ROM.zip) available from Asrock.
When was this update hminster?
Last edited by Winklejon on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
This is why PhenQ is the best on the market.
hminster

Post by hminster »

Winklejon wrote:
hminster wrote:I have an Asrock H110M-HDS motherboard.
When was this update hminster?
Sorry. The update was sent to me by ASRock support in Feb 2017.
I assume you have resolved your problem by now.
arda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arda »

I came from release notes of 18.3 cinnamon.

I had similar problem with Pentium G2020 and msi h77 board on 18.2.
error.log on /var/log/cups grew enormously.
I observe these logs now and will try solutions on here.

Return to “Hardware Support”