Before you post please read how to get help
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

CD-DVD drive... (read-only)?

Post by tomliotta »

Lenovo W510 ThinkPad, 12GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mint 17.3

The CD/DVD drive is a model MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ890. The 'Disks' app shows it as:

Code: Select all

Device: /dev/sr0 (Read-Only)
Why "(Read-only)"?

Everything that I can track down about specs for the drive shows it as being capable of writing CDs.

A relevant part of 'inxi' output shows:

Code: Select all

Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (14.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9320423AS size: 320.1GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ890 rev: SB01 dev-links: cdrom
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
When I try to burn an .ISO to a CD in the drive with the default 'Disk Image Writer' that appears in the left-click context menu for the file, it's not possible to select the CD/DVD drive because it's greyed out.

Is there a different driver I should install? Is there an enable/disable for "(read-write)" somewhere? Is it necessary to use Brasero or a similar app to burn images?

I also have a T500 ThinkPad with LM 17.3 and a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-U20N drive that acts the same way, i.e., greyed out and "(read-only)". I did test with Brasero on that laptop and it tried to burn the image, but it erred out at the end. Given the similarities, it doesn't seem useful just to try random apps.

Searches here haven't shown anything useful to me, and the first dozen or so pages of Google links are just as unhelpful. I've seen a couple comments saying to "...install udftools" or "...install cdrtools" but no reason is given why either should be done; and those don't really clear up anything.

Thanks for any direction.
Tom

For LM12: Old IBM T22 laptop, 512MB, 40GB HDD (w/LMDE12 dual boot), CD-RW/DVD, USB 1.1 and on-board Ethernet
For LM16: IBM ThinkCenter M52, 4GB, 500GB HDD (w/WinXP dual)
Lenovo W510 ThinkPad,Core i7, 12GB, 320GB HDD (LM17.3 64-bit)
and 2 others.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: CD-DVD drive... (read-only)?

Post by Cosmo. »

Brasero did not get updates since years. Try another program like K3b.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "tomliotta",

I just read your post and the good reply to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. The command provides other relevant data as well, including which edition and version of Linux Mint you are running. And, it helps to have a disc in the drive(s).

Some of your comments seem to be a little confusing for me. You cannot burn an ".iso" disc image of a DVD size to a "CD", because there is not enough room (space). And, all discs to be written on, must be blank CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW (Single or Dual layer for the DVD's). Are you sure the disc is blank, try another? Some older DVD drives, can only write (burn) to certain type of DVD's, like DVD+R discs and not DVD-R disc, or visa-versa. You would have to read the manufacturer's manual. But, all should be able to read and write to CD's.

Most people in this forum will tell you that the two best general DVD applications are "K3b", and "XfBurn", so I would recommend that you install one or both of these.

It would also help to know exactly what you are tying to do? What type of ".iso" file is it, how large is it, etc...?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The disks application is a bit-of-a-brasero too. It shows my dvd-rw-ram drive as read-only...don't worry about it, it's a hard-drive program trying to make sense of an empty optical drive, and failing.

You don't have to assemble an optical disk on the disk. Linux has been making ISO disk images and treating them as real drives for a looong time. They work like zip archives without the compression; a convenient way of keeping a group of files together in a read-only container. This has become the common way of releasing a distribution too. You can make an ISO of your Music folder, for example...
File Manager > Right-Click on the Music Folder > Compress > ISO
...that can be mounted (read-only) or written to a USB stick, just the same as you would a Mint distro, with Mint's USB Image Writer mintstick.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Hardware Support”