Touchpad scrolling reversed

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chamillo

Touchpad scrolling reversed

Post by chamillo »

I just installed MATE 18 and my touchpad scrolling is now reversed. When I move my fingers up to scroll up, the window contents scroll down. I have an 11" HP Stream notebook.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Touchpad scrolling reversed

Post by JosephM »

This is intentional I believe. It's what is called "Natural Scrolling". Personally find it annoying. I'm not real familiar with Mate but you should have an option in your mouse/touchpad settings to disable this and get the old behavior back.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
chamillo

Post by chamillo »

Thank you so much for your help. I was not familiar with the term "Natural Scrolling." I did find the setting where I could disable that. Now it works the way I like it.
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

Post by n0body_special »

Hi everyone!
I just returned to MATE after a long time, and first thing I noticed was the reversed scrolling. Of course I went to mouse and touchpad settings, checked everything, saw the "natural scrolling" setting and ignored it, because I thought it had something to do with scrolling smoothness or something. After searching online, I found out this was responsible for the annoying reversed scrolling in MATE.

Now, I don't want to argue about whether I like it or not (I don't), but the term "natural scrolling" is deceptive, not established and above all, wrong. This type of scrolling is "natural" on a tablet or anything with a touch screen, but not "natural" on a laptop or anything with touchpad.

I don't like the reverse scrolling, but if the community thinks otherwise, I won't argue. I just think the option should be renamed to "reverse scrolling" or something similar, because "natural scrolling" says nothing about what the setting does
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet

Return to “Hardware Support”