Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] AMD 990fx/SB950 - USB & NIC

Post by MWave6 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Hey Folks,

I've used Ubuntu or Mint for many years... read thru the forums quite a bit, but never posted anything to date.

I've recently built a new box based on a Gigabyte 990fx-Gaming systemboard w/AMD 990fx chipset (SB950 southbridge). The board sports a Killer Networks e2200 (1Gbps) onboard NIC. I've read several posts on here and other forums describing a similar issue to what I'm experiencing, but not quite.

I've got my USB keyboard & mouse plugged into USB 3.0 ports and they work just fine in Mint. The USB 2.0 ports, however, are unavailable. Much of what I've read concerning this issue w/AMD and other chipsets centers around passing a boot-time kernel parameter for amd_iommu and enabling this in BIOS.

For example, this CentOS thread describes almost exactly what I've run across: https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7590
My situation seems to have a twist, however, in that when I both enable IOMMU in BIOS and pass an "amd_iommu=on" kernel parameter in GRUB2 I get USB 2.0 working fine w/no NIC and USB 3.0 becomes unavailable. Bottom line == worse off than without the iommu tweaks.

Anyone out there in the Mint universe run across this scenario and have a silver bullet? Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by MWave6 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Re: AMD 990fx/SB950 - USB & NIC

Post by tek_heretik » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:03 am

I have the exact same board. I have IOMMU shut off in the BIOS, which is actually the default. I also have my system set up for legacy booting. You have to select 'other' operating system in the BIOS to jive with Linux. I pass iommu=soft to the kernel (live and in grub), it works like a charm, never had a problem with my USB 3.0 or NIC since, with any distro (one of the USB ports on the front of my machine is 3.0, I thought it was going to be a lame dead duck port, until I found the fix). It's a pain in the rear but AMD designed it for a reason, I guess. I went AMD because Intel went too NSA friendly, and I got sick of their product over-pricing. Newer and Ubuntu kernels accommodate IOMMU, with the argument passed to the kernel, of course.

Lots to read here.

Edit: IOMMU kernel module in Mint Rosa kernel 3.19.0-32-generic (written in by developers)...

AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946

MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MWave6 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks Tek,

I have actually already tried the configuration you've suggested here - IOMMU disabled in BIOS, and "Other OS" is my default which I've left alone. Disabling IOMMU in BIOS seems to render superfluous any kernel parameters being passed.

All efforts seem to leave me with either functional USB v3.0 & NIC + nonfunctional USB v2.0 **OR** functional USB v2.0 + nonfunctional USB v3.0 & NIC. I've tried using all of these options in the kernel parameters AMD_IOMMU / IOMMU = ON, SOFT, PT, and OFF and the only time any of them make a difference is with IOMMU turned on in the BIOS.

Our systemboards are actually somewhat different models in that the 990fx-Gaming (released earlier this year) has the ASMedia USB v3.1 ports. The Gaming also uses VIA for USB v3.0. Gigabyte's website says that your board uses an "Etron EJ168" for same (see link below). However, both boards appear to drive USB v2.0 ports with the AMD SB950. Also looks like yours has a Realtek NIC and mine has Qualcomm/Atheros.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 specs:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product ... id=3894#sp

Also, I'm running Mint v18 x64 w/4.4.0-21 kernel and not Rosa/v17.3. So we do have some differences there as well.

I've read a lot of links (see below) with different combinations of IOMMU and even multiple parameters (including both amd_iommu and iommu options). I will continue digging and post anything I discover back here... :)

http://www.badbod.com/ubuntu-14-04-no-n ... no-usb3-2/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/859137
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=168555
http://askubuntu.com/questions/166046/u ... ntil-today
Last edited by MWave6 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Wow, that's nutz! I feel your pain, I went through a similar situation when I first built my box (I hadn't run Windows in more than 4 years by then, and I was determined to not use it again). BTW, I just installed an Atheros based TP-Link PCI-Express wifi card, it's well supported in the kernel. Installed a similar card in a friends PC too, it worked in his in PCLOS. I seriously had to fiddle with my BIOS to get the right combo of settings. I'm starting to think maybe your board is so really new, support may have not caught up yet. Or it could be a huge conspiracal (I made that word up) to keep us from using Linux. NEVAH! I say, NEVAH! :wink: :D
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946

Minterator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Minterator » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:48 pm

So is it fixed? I suspect the ASmedia vs. VIA hardware thing. I had mobo with VIA and USB ports kept disappearing randomly, so I got rid of it.

I have 2 Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with ASmedia, IOMMU enabled in BIOS, and everything works. If you're running VM's, nothing beats the FX-8350.
Mint 17.3 MATE, kernel 4.11.12

MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MWave6 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Not fixed... havent had much time to work on it this week.

Currently stuck thusly:

All efforts seem to leave me with either functional USB v3.0 & NIC + nonfunctional USB v2.0 **OR** functional USB v2.0 + nonfunctional USB v3.0 & NIC. I've tried using all of these options in the kernel parameters AMD_IOMMU / IOMMU = ON, SOFT, PT, and OFF and the only time any of them make a difference is with IOMMU turned on in the BIOS. This results in dead USB v3.0 & NIC but working USB v2.0.

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:59 pm

MWave6 wrote:AMD_IOMMU / IOMMU = ON, SOFT, PT, and OFF
You are passing these to the kernel in lower case right? Probably a dumb question but I have to ask. :? Oh, and there's no space(s) between the equal sign and either word, on either side, I'm guessing you probably know this already. Because in all honesty, it doesn't sound like the kernel is receiving the 'argument'. With IOMMU shut off in the BIOS and iommu=soft passed to the kernel, the kernel takes the job over, hence the 'soft', as in software handled. I'm just saying this stuff because if you have a better understanding of what's going on, it may help solve your problem.

Edit: You also have to leave a space between the last argument in the line and the one you add, e.g., "...nosplash iommu=soft"

MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MWave6 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:44 am

TEK: Yes, all items I pass to grub are in lower case w/no spaces. I only use CAPS herein for emphasis. What's interesting is that none of these parameters seem to do anything. Enabling/disabling the BIOS IOMMU option alone is the only thing toggling behaviors.

MINTERATOR: VIA seems to be the only thing working by default since it drives the USB v3.0 ports. The SB950 southbridge running the USB v2.0 ports is what seems to flake in or out. NIC must somehow be tied into the VIA controller since it goes down when the SB950 comes to life. Nothing connected to the USB v3.1 ports as yet. Unfortunately, this is a brand new systemboard so I'm not willing to toss it just yet... LOL. Might just be one of those things whereby I have to wait for development to catch up to the technology. Not really preventing me from using the machine, just annoying since I have a Riitek mini remote keyboard receiver plugged into a rear USB v2.0 so as to preserve my front USB v3.0 ports.

Minterator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Minterator » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:02 am

The kernel takes care of IOMMU very nicely, so I would skip the extra parameters. I suspect IRQ conflict or buggy BIOS. Have you the latest? Have you tried changing USB 2 & 3 legacy settings? Move NIC to a different slot? Use different NIC?

SB USB Configuration
OHCI HC (Bus 0 Dev 18 Fn 0) [Enabled/Disabled]
Allows you to enable or disable OHCI USB controller (Bus 0 Dev 18 Fn 0)
Mint 17.3 MATE, kernel 4.11.12

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:14 am

MWave6 wrote:TEK: Yes, all items I pass to grub are in lower case w/no spaces. I only use CAPS herein for emphasis.
I kinda figgered dat but I had to ask, sorry. :?

I know my BIOS is probably different than yours but here's the relevant settings that got my system playing nice with any distro/kernel...

In the "BIOS Features" section...
OS Type=Other OS
Boot Mode=Legacy
LAN PXE=Disabled
Storage Boot=Legacy
Other PCI=Legacy
Network Stack=Disabled

In the "Peripherals" section...
USB 2.0=Enabled
USB 3.0=Enabled
Legacy USB=Enabled
XHCI Hand-off=Enabled
EHCI Hand-off=Disabled
IOMMU Controller=Disabled

This works for me, hopefully you can glean some info from this and get your setup working. :?

Edit: For schizz n giggles, this is how I got 'fake turbo' working in conjunction with the kernel/cpufreq handling the core speeds (as opposed to the lame CPU handled turbo), from my notes (verbatim)...
M.I.T.\Advanced Frequency Settings\Advanced CPU Core Features:
CPU Clock Ratio..............................21.00 (21.00x200MHz=4.2GHz, default=20.00, )
Core Performance Boost...................Auto (Needs to be enabled, annoying false starts when disabled)
CPB Ratio.........................................21.00 (Keep equal to CPU ratio)
CPU Unlock......................................Disabled (Disable after CPU ratio set to 21.00)
Cool & Quiet.....................................Enabled (Main CPU scaling/power driver)
C1E Support......................................Enabled (Typical CPU power state)
SVM..................................................Enabled (Virtual Machine for guest OS)
CPU Core Control.............................Auto (Auto = all 8 cores enabled)
Core C6 State.....................................Enabled (Ultra low CPU power state)
HPC Mode.........................................Disabled (Enabled makes CPU race @ idle)
APM...................................................Enabled (Software control power state)

MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MWave6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:35 am

MINTERATOR: I've enabled/disabled settings all up & down. This systemboard is so new that there is only the current release of firmware. Also, my NIC is an onboard NIC, so not a lot of movement possible there... not inclined to purchase anything add'l at this time either.

Fortunately, my update manager just pushed the v4.4.0-31 kernel and all of the updates to take Mint v18 from beta to the GA release. Somewhere along the way, this tweaked the OS and all USB + NIC are now working. I still have "amd_iommu=off and iommu=soft" in grub as it was the last sequence I'd tried. Might experiment with leaving them out, but for now I'm just enjoying full functionality.

Next items up is mdmsetup selecting my HDMI port over VGA as primary display prior to logging into MATE. Interestingly, the "Primary monitor" selector isn't present in mdmsetup. I can cause it to appear with no options available by adding an entry to /etc/mdm/mdm.conf. However, I still have to turn on my TV in order to log into Mint which is kinda irritating. Tried switching to GDM which hosed up X-windows altogether.
Minterator wrote:The kernel takes care of IOMMU very nicely, so I would skip the extra parameters. I suspect IRQ conflict or buggy BIOS. Have you the latest? Have you tried changing USB 2 & 3 legacy settings? Move NIC to a different slot? Use different NIC?

SB USB Configuration
OHCI HC (Bus 0 Dev 18 Fn 0) [Enabled/Disabled]
Allows you to enable or disable OHCI USB controller (Bus 0 Dev 18 Fn 0)

MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MWave6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:42 am

TEK: Thanks for taking the time to comb thru your BIOS, which is comparable to mine. I appreciate your efforts! My settings are pretty much identical to what you've enumerated below, with the exception that I turned on EHCI.

Fortunately, my update manager just pushed the v4.4.0-31 kernel and all of the updates to take Mint v18 from beta to the GA release. Somewhere along the way, this tweaked the OS and all USB + NIC are now working simultaneously. I still have "amd_iommu=off and iommu=soft" in grub as it was the last sequence I'd tried. Might experiment with leaving them out, but for now I'm just enjoying full functionality.

Now on to mdm defaulting to my HDMI instead of VGA and mounting my NTFS RAID-1 as a single logical disk rather the the (2) drives Mint sees currently.

tek_heretik wrote:
MWave6 wrote:TEK: Yes, all items I pass to grub are in lower case w/no spaces. I only use CAPS herein for emphasis.
I kinda figgered dat but I had to ask, sorry. :?

I know my BIOS is probably different than yours but here's the relevant settings that got my system playing nice with any distro/kernel...

In the "BIOS Features" section...
OS Type=Other OS
Boot Mode=Legacy
LAN PXE=Disabled
Storage Boot=Legacy
Other PCI=Legacy
Network Stack=Disabled

In the "Peripherals" section...
USB 2.0=Enabled
USB 3.0=Enabled
Legacy USB=Enabled
XHCI Hand-off=Enabled
EHCI Hand-off=Disabled
IOMMU Controller=Disabled

This works for me, hopefully you can glean some info from this and get your setup working. :?
r state)
Last edited by MWave6 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 am

MWave6 wrote:with the exception that I turned on EHCI.
Yeah, I found EHCI to be one of the 'culprits'. I'm so glad you got it working! :)

But, umm, 'off' and 'soft' enabled simultaneously, one would assume those would be conflicting 'switches', that's a head scratcher. :?

Mark the thread "solved"?

MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MWave6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:02 pm

I read in one post that setting amd_iommu=off disables hardware iommu and a generic iommu=soft causes software iommu only. It was simply the last combination i'd tried while troubleshooting.

Looked around for where to mark the thread resolved but it wasn't readily apparent. Before i do so, i want to see if removing the grub iommu statements entirely has any effect. Honestly, i dont think the parameters in grub matter at all if iommu is disabled in system bios... that is a pattern if consensus i see in a lot of posts elsewhere.
Last edited by MWave6 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWave6
Level 1
Level 1

[ANSWER] AMD 990fx/SB950 - USB & NIC

Post by MWave6 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:25 pm

OK, so removing all iommu statements entirely put me back into USB v2.0 not working but USB v3.0 & NIC still working. Tried adding back only amd_iommu=soft with no effect. What seems to work is iommu OFF in BIOS and iommu=soft in grub config. Operating at full capacity again.

Along with the iommu=off switch, the updates to kernel v4.4.0-31 and Mint v18 GA from the beta + full complement of packages seems to be the fix. Updating tweaked the OS and all USB + NIC are now working simultaneously.

I also read that the custom here for indicating successful resolution is to go to one's original post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line. I was looking high & low for a "MARK AS ANSWER" button of some sort in the vein of Monkey$oft Technet forums. LOL, please let me know if there are any add'l ways I should be marking this resolved when appropriate.

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [ANSWER] AMD 990fx/SB950 - USB & NIC

Post by tek_heretik » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 pm

MWave6 wrote:please let me know if there are any add'l ways I should be marking this resolved when appropriate.
Nope, not that I'm aware of, usually editing the original post title suffices. :) Somebody else might know though.

Return to “Hardware Support”