If you own an amd graphics card use this repo to have better performance and the newest amdgpu driver !

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Re: If you own an amd graphics card use this repo to have better performance and the newest amdgpu driver !

Post by dl9220 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
richyrich wrote:
..sudo apt-get dist-upgrade..
Really BAD advice ! :x
That's an understatement, and there's more there.

I wouldn't touch that ppa with a 10 foot pole, and there are just too many noobs here who happily dole out bad advice when they don;'t know what the frak they're doing.
You just sound like any other shivering old'timer. This ppa is lightyears ahead of any *buntu or derivate. Using it for several years now, put it up on LM 18, jumped 2 stages up in Mesa and enjoyed molto migliori graphix... You may ( and probably will) have to wait for LM 25 to get even close.

Besides, did you mention WHY you don't touch ppa's with a 10 ft pole ?
Mint Vera Xfce XanMod 6.1.2
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: If you own an amd graphics card use this repo to have better performance and the newest amdgpu driver !

Post by Pjotr »

dl9220 wrote:Fabio makes daily builds, so you're in for upgrade galore.
That. That alone makes it completely unfit for any system that needs to be reliable and to "just work".

If you have a test rig which is quite unimportant for you, that's another story. That's all about experimenting happily and to hell with stability. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

dl9220 wrote: Besides, did you mention WHY you don't touch ppa's with a 10 ft pole ?
I can tell you why I didn't when I was using the Ubuntu-based Mint.
It's all about trust.

How do you know that any-random-ppa is what it claims to be? How do you know that it isn't or never will upload malicious files onto your system? There's very little verification or oversight in the PPA world, and a maintainer can upload whatever he/she likes. If you are using a PPA to which the maintainer pushes malicious files, guess what? They'll be installed on your system and you probably won't notice until it's too late (if then).

It's very different from the official repos. For the repos, I can inspect the source code of any package if I want, and even build a .deb from source that is identical to what I would get from the repos. Though I rarely do this, there are enough of us inspecting enough packages that a malicious package should be noticed quickly. Besides that, there are many deterrents that make it difficult for a maintainer of a repo to upload malicious software. For one, he's not the sole owner of the repo - there's usually many people involved and they all know what each other does. Two, he's not anonymous and if it's discovered that he knowingly uploaded malicious software, he would lose whatever standing he had in the Linux world and possibly (probably) be subject to criminal prosecution as well.

For a PPA, the owner and maintainer are usually the same person, whose under no obligation to anyone to do what's right, and who is only known to the community by his username. If by chance it's found that he uploaded malicious files, he can just slip away and not suffer any consequences. Also, many PPAs (such as the one being discussed here, I believe) don't offer the opportunity to inspect the source code, making it very difficult to detect malware.

I don't mean that you should never use a PPA, but it should be a last-resort option. For example, I trust the LibreOffice ppa relatively well, and if I needed the newest version of LibreOffice I might use it (if I were using the Ubuntu-based Mint). PPAs from well-trusted and respected sources are much less likely to be malicious. But still, I'd first explore other options (upgrading Mint to a newer version would be one option) before upgrading LibreOffice to a new version via PPA.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Thanks but No thanks. I have AMD machine but will just wait until Mint provides the new driver in a kernel update and even then not sure I would use it since I am have no graphics issues running an AMD Turks PRO [Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550] on LM 18
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 »

Fred Barclay wrote:
dl9220 wrote: Besides, did you mention WHY you don't touch ppa's with a 10 ft pole ?
I can tell you why I didn't when I was using the Ubuntu-based Mint.
It's all about trust.

You only trust big names ? Besides, every ppa on launchpad can be inspected by the user... the sources are on git. But as you even don't want to accept a ppa from the publisher themselves, you might as well crawl in your cellar and sweat it out. When one day you get out, you might find you're in a different world.

Conclusion : trust no one, even your friend is pulling you... just wondering how did you survive all these years ?
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 »

majpooper wrote:Thanks but No thanks. I have AMD machine but will just wait until Mint provides the new driver in a kernel update and even then not sure I would use it since I am have no graphics issues running an AMD Turks PRO [Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550] on LM 18

Mint does NOT provide kernels :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

dl9220 wrote:Mint does NOT provide kernels :mrgreen:
It certainly does. It offers them for upgrade in the Update Manager.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 »

Moem wrote:
Kernels in Mint come from CKT, Cannonical Kernel Team, and are imported from

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-ppa/mainline/

Jeez
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

dl9220 wrote:Kernels in Mint come from CKT, Cannonical Kernel Team
Ah, that's what you mean. Sure, if you want to be literal about it, that's correct. Happy now? :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

dl9220 wrote:
Moem wrote:

Jeez
Either you don't understand it, or you're playing with words. Let's assume the first.

Mint provides new kernels like this: Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

In the Mint 17.x series, these kernels range from 3.13.x all the way up to 4.4.x. For Mint 18 there are currently only a couple of 4.4.x kernels available, but newer kernel series are expected to arrive in due time.

In case you're playing a word game anyway, I can beat you at that: kernels don't come from Canonical. They come from the upstream kernel team, lead by Linus Torvalds. Jeez.
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 »

Pjotr wrote:
dl9220 wrote:
Moem wrote: It certainly does. It offers them for upgrade in the Update Manager.

Jeez
Either you don't understand it, or you're playing with words. Let's assume the first.

Mint provides new kernels like this: Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

In the Mint 17.x series, these kernels range from 3.13.x all the way up to 4.4.x. For Mint 18 there are currently only a couple of 4.4.x kernels available, but newer kernel series are expected to arrive in due time.

In case you're playing a word game anyway, I can beat you at that: kernels don't come from Canonical. They come from the upstream kernel team, lead by Linus Torvalds. Jeez.
Linus signs off the source, Cannonical compiles them for different HW c.q. usage... Try fetching a compiled kernel on https://www.kernel.org/

I do understand it, and I like shortcuts. Hierarchy is the opposite of free choice....
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Word games are silly and rarely even amusing. This guy is at least amusing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLAEih8I9k
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 »

Pjotr wrote:Word games are silly and rarely even amusing. This guy is at least amusing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLAEih8I9k
Says something about culture, not everything but sufficient....
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Yeah but the bottom line is Mint does provide kernels - where they originate is beside the point - I don't go to CKT to get them I get them from the Update Manager in MINT as Moem pointed out.
Jeez
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

dl9220 wrote:You only trust big names ? Besides, every ppa on launchpad can be inspected by the user... the sources are on git. But as you even don't want to accept a ppa from the publisher themselves, you might as well crawl in your cellar and sweat it out. When one day you get out, you might find you're in a different world.

Conclusion : trust no one, even your friend is pulling you... just wondering how did you survive all these years ?
Actually I said that I would be more likely to trust a PPA from a publisher (such as LibreOffice). ;) Please don't make the fallacy that viewing something as a security risk means I need to crawl into my cellar (or any other paranoid comparison).
Come to think of it, I don't even have a cellar...

I took a look at the PPA on launchpad (again) and it says this:
You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA...
(emphasis mine)
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers
I think that ought to tell you right there why I am leery of PPAs. They themselves remind you that their packages are (a). unsupported, and (b). come from an untrusted source.
Is that a surprise? No. PPAs by definition usually offer unsupported packages. But it's a good reminder that you can't and shouldn't blindly trust any PPA, or even many PPAs.

I couldn't find the source code for that PPA; could you link it here? I'm not familiar with Launchpad so that might be the reason.

You might like to read some of these:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/35629/a ... tch-out-fo
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repos ... .28PPAs.29
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3007

Oh, and I can tell you how I've survived all these years: I've led a normal, ordinary life.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

You don't have to add the repository if you need to your system to be as stable as it gets.
I have installed them and have no problems so far , and also the graphics performance i have is very very good
plus i have no screen tearing on cinnamon and i've checked the option to not redirect full screen windows.
Everything seems to work fine with me with no crashes the only bad thing is the updates you get very very often !
But i recommend this repo only to those that need the best 3d performance possible and they like to experiment .

Return to “Hardware Support”