Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
thobin
Level 2
Level 2

Drive GPT signatures error (Solved)

Post by thobin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 am

So in my haste to remove Windows from off my computer I think I have jacked up one of my extra hard drives. I'm having problems auto mounting the drive, and after a few nights of trying every thing I can think of, I backed up the drive and went to reformat it using Gparted. So this error came up and and so now I’m thinking this is the problem?

"/dev/sdc contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table. However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should. Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table?"

I cant seem to get Gparted to fix the problem no matter what I do. I'm a little afraid to do some of the fixes I have read in the CL don’t want to kill my OS drive. Is there an easy way to fix this or a program that will do it for me? My other drives auto mount just fine and all of them including the one that wont auto mount, mounts just fine if I click on it in file manger. I have been in fstab hell for a few days now trying to work this out. Any help would be much appreciated.

TA
Last edited by thobin on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

drydenp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Drive GPT signatures error

Post by drydenp » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 am

I don't know what happened. But should gparted not just offer to write a new GPT label?

If by reformatting the drive, you mean creating new partitions; then parted might object; but you can also use to create a new "partition label" and that is fine.

What parted means by "label" is a partition table. If you let it create a new GPT "label" then it will fix the problem you have.

Just use parted /dev/sdc mklabel gpt and it will be as safe as anything you do to that disk. If all else fails (which it won't) you can just wipe the GPT signature off by doing dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=1M count=1

Of course, make sure not to make an error in that "c" you are using ;-).

thobin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thobin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:44 am

So how do you make sure its rewriting to the correct disk? I have 3 drives one SSD which Mint is on and two 1Ter WD Hard Drives.

TA

thobin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thobin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:49 am

Opp never mind just saw it in the error message it was telling me the whole time which drive its the "sdc" you will have to forgive my noobness. I understand the how the "parted /dev/sdc mklabel gpt" works now.

Thank you

TA

drydenp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drydenp » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:51 am

No forgiveness ever required.

thobin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Drive GPT signatures error (Solved)