mount android phone mtp, mint 18

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike65

mount android phone mtp, mint 18

Post by Mike65 »

hi!
I just installed mint 18 and it won't recognize my oneplus x phone, absolutely nothing happens, i spent the last one hour by searching and googling, no luck im tired. i installed mtp-tools and mtp-server. i know i did something in the previous mint 17.2 or 17.3 to get it work, but it should work out of the box as i read (not sure though i have read so many things)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: mount android phone mtp, mint 18

Post by JeremyB »

My Android phone connects after I select MTP from the USB option on my phone as it always returns to charge only mode

For reference the result of

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep -i mtp

ii  libmtp-common                                1.1.10-2ubuntu1                            all          Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) common files
ii  libmtp-runtime                               1.1.10-2ubuntu1                            amd64        Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) runtime tools
ii  libmtp9:amd64                                1.1.10-2ubuntu1                            amd64        Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) library
Mike65

Post by Mike65 »

The solution for now is to turn usb debugging on, in the phone's settings.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Mike65 wrote:The solution for now is to turn usb debugging on, in the phone's settings.
That would make sense as it is one of the first things I do on any android phone I have
myface64

Post by myface64 »

If you have v6 of Android, you have to tap "Allow" to get connected.
mslake

Post by mslake »

With my Nexus 6 on Mint 18, this solution worked for me:

With the phone plugged and USB debugging enabled, switch from MTP to PTP, then back to MTP. That solved my connection problem.
lutterworth

Post by lutterworth »

nothing of above works for me.

mtp-tools were not installed. did not help though.

straight forward package "mtp" is not in repos...

???
any other idea.. someone?

thanks... :wink:
l
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

lutterworth wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 am any other idea.. someone?
An old way:
viewtopic.php?t=157743#p835220
roymilner2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roymilner2001 »

I have Mint 18.3 so this may not work. But I downloaded FTP Server from Google play store onto my phone, opened the app, it gives you a server address. Open file manager in mint, click on connect to server, enter the server address, and it should connect.
lutterworth

Post by lutterworth »

admin thanks for your answer! also the ftp server idea seems to be also possible, thanks for that

however..

...it was me who erred (- ashes on my head!): i have mint 19 cinnamon installed and the good old "mtpfs" is not in the repos, so i can not install it. i can access my phone, yes, also copy download several files, but not the DCIM folder and nothing in it, basically nemo tries to access it and eventually freezes.

whats is going on here?

thanks!

lutter

ps: i will continue to try the ftp suggestion, but can not access the sd card. lets see..
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

lutterworth wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:36 pm ...it was me who erred (- ashes on my head!): i have mint 19 cinnamon installed and the good old "mtpfs" is not in the repos, so i can not install it. i can access my phone,
How about go-mtpfs ?

apt-cache policy go-mtpfs
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/go-mtpfs
lutterworth

Post by lutterworth »

thanks, but:

this is when i set the phone to file transfer

go-mtpfs /home/aaa/android
2018/10/30 18:20:37 OpenSession failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_IO; attempting reset
2018/10/30 18:20:38 Configure failed: OpenSession after reset: LIBUSB_ERROR_IO

when i set the phone to image transfer:

2018/10/30 18:20:18 detect failed: no MTP devices found
kmikkels

Post by kmikkels »

Thanks, I have struggled with this for days, and the ftp solution just works
roymilner2001 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:18 pm I have Mint 18.3 so this may not work. But I downloaded FTP Server from Google play store onto my phone, opened the app, it gives you a server address. Open file manager in mint, click on connect to server, enter the server address, and it should connect.

Return to “Hardware Support”