Dell notebook volume and mute buttons don't work

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djjazzyjeff

Dell notebook volume and mute buttons don't work

Post by djjazzyjeff »

Hi all, here's my problem and I apologise if this the answer has been posted already and I didn't see it. My machine:

Dell Latitude D800

After doing a fresh install (not upgrade) of Felicia XFCE on this machine I noticed that the volume up, down and mute buttons did not work. I was pretty sure these were working in Elyssa XFCE that I had on this machine previously. I booted the Elyssa LiveCD and tested the buttons, all 3 worked. I booted the Felicia Live CD and all 3 did not work. I haven't found any help on this googling that has solved the problem, perhaps someone here can provide the answer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djjazzyjeff

Re: Dell notebook volume and mute buttons don't work

Post by djjazzyjeff »

Hmm, I seemed to have fixed this problem. I went into "Settings", "Keyboard Settings" and clicked the "Shortcut" tab.

My missing buttons at the top of the list were associated with the aumix command which when I went out to a xterm and searched for was not found. I did a "sudo apt-get install aumix", restarted the x-server and now my volume up and down and mute all worked! Aumix was included in Elyssa but not Felicia? Strange.

Hmm, I think I should have been able to figure this out before making this post :wink:

Return to “Hardware Support”