Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
djjazzyjeff
Level 1
Level 1

Dell notebook volume and mute buttons don't work

Postby djjazzyjeff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi all, here's my problem and I apologise if this the answer has been posted already and I didn't see it. My machine:

Dell Latitude D800

After doing a fresh install (not upgrade) of Felicia XFCE on this machine I noticed that the volume up, down and mute buttons did not work. I was pretty sure these were working in Elyssa XFCE that I had on this machine previously. I booted the Elyssa LiveCD and tested the buttons, all 3 worked. I booted the Felicia Live CD and all 3 did not work. I haven't found any help on this googling that has solved the problem, perhaps someone here can provide the answer?
"Pick out 2"
Moe

djjazzyjeff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dell notebook volume and mute buttons don't work

Postby djjazzyjeff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Hmm, I seemed to have fixed this problem. I went into "Settings", "Keyboard Settings" and clicked the "Shortcut" tab.

My missing buttons at the top of the list were associated with the aumix command which when I went out to a xterm and searched for was not found. I did a "sudo apt-get install aumix", restarted the x-server and now my volume up and down and mute all worked! Aumix was included in Elyssa but not Felicia? Strange.

Hmm, I think I should have been able to figure this out before making this post :wink:

Return to “Hardware Support”