Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint 18- system doesn't shut down

Post by ranger077 »

Hi.
I have an issue with system when i give the command of shutting down.
My laptop is an Asus x540 .
I had several issues with this laptop from the day i bought it and i put on it linux mint 18 since i remembered it is one of most easy to use linux OS.
I solved the wifi connection but this last issue i couldn't do anything about it and it annoys me . When i give the shutdown command , system closes all windows and tries to halt, but it hangs on welcome screen....hours if i let him, but i usually pres power button about 7 second and it closes instantly, however this is not good for its health.
So i searched on google about dbus-daemon , i think this may be the problem but nothing worked, my system says it is running but...apparently it doesnt't do anything.
Any idea about what may be the problem? like mising drivers or...i dont know
thanks

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux mint 18- system doesn't shut down

Post by supertuxkart »

Well, the solution may vary on what's linked this specific problem.

Usually pleads guilty the speech-dispatcher, which you can remove with the Packages Manager, if you don't need.
Sometime instead it can be the video driver or hardware ACPi and the likes, compatibility issue.
The last you can fix in the boot option adding some kernel parameter, always depending on what's going on :
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

Thanks a lot. I removed the speech dispatcher package because i didnt need it and also tried nomodeset in grub command line.
That worked perfectly, now it shuts down in a few seconds!

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

unfortuantely....my happiness was short.....it only shutdown properly once, that was last night and when i started it today it kkeps going the same error....i tought it was repaired but....i must keep searching for other kind of errors :(

Nelk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nelk »

With linux and new releases it's best not to be the new adopters. There are always bugs for somebody and mint 18 has only been out for a month. Mint has much worse support solutions online too. If everything works it's cool, as mint is suppose to be plug and play for home theater pcs. When mint does not work it's one of the worse distros.

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

i have a stupid bios which desperately wants 64bit OS and designed for windows 10 exclusively........UEFI and all that stuff...if it was an ordinary laptop i wouldnt have so may trouble.
But nowadays almost any laptop has this....damn kind of bios.
When i took it, the wifi was going to sleep in about 5 minutes, touchpad too, no sound on jack (phones) and no shutdown.
I manged to workaround wifi autosuspend which is the only problem i could solve ( with this forum help).
Rest of them are still there and anoying me....i love linux and its looks combined with easy and friendly GUI, but hate when it doesnt work.
P.S. i installed mint 18 cuz 17 is not gonna have too many support ....i dont know for sure but is almost expired the suport time.

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

Did you register "nomodest" in /etc/default/grub ?
Did you run the update-grub command ?

It sounds as your hardware is not supported by kernel.
In fact in this thread :
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... 6&page=167
is reported a touchpad issue.

So you must apply all the updates and upgrades possibles.
If it keep not working as well, you must try to install the latest kernel available in the Upgrades Manager.

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

i did register it and ran grub-update, but no effect except for just one correct shutdown. I will look forward to update all programs update manager wants to and see if any changes. Also i may try change the kernel with another better one but not sure how to do it safely.

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

You can change by the Upgrade Manager > the third in the menu bar > Kernel Linux.
You must uninstall all proprietary driver, before upgrade.
It's not adviceable to change the kernel if all's well, but only when unsupported hardware is present.

If the new kernel is not shown in Grub, it means it has not ben updated, then give the same "sudo update-grub"
If you have worst problems with the new kernel, you can hopefully be back with the precedent kernel.
Anyway you must backup anything you don't want to loose, ubuntu teaches.

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

I tried that too, but it only wants the current kernel, others it doesnt switch to them, in software manager.
And in grub list it also does not appear, i am not even able to select when i boot the desired option , even if the timeout is not zero, i set it myelf to a few seconds....so what to try next?

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

What do you mean ?
The upgrade manager refuse to install another kernel ?
Try before :

Code: Select all

sudo apt upgrade
Or the Grub menu does not shows the new kernel, after the installation ?
Or did you set to non zero value the Grub time-out, but it does not appear ?

Download grub-customizer and in the third tab > advanced options select to show menu or similar or change the value of the hidden grub menu.
At the moment i'm on Mint 17.3.
The new grub in Mint 18 does not allow to shows the menu, if the only option is a non zero value timeout, it needs to change the others options.
I did do but i don't remember exactly, now
Anyway when you do the update is been written as notice.

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

i did put a non zero value but no succes...i used both grub config file and the program startup-manager.....but i figgured out a weird fact....
i remembererd first attempt when i removed speech-dispatcher and put nomodeset argument on grub lines.....the i had only 1 proper shutdown without pressing the buuton...i toughtit was solved but next reboot the probem persisted.
Today i put back speech-dispatcher and removed nomodeset and reboot....again...it worked! but only once, unofrtunately.
What could this mean?
I updated everything. Update manager lets me install many kernels i installed only one another,but i cant switch to them.
And yes, to answer those questions, kernel selections does not appear at boot, although when i run update grub it says like this:

ranger@X540SA ~ $ sudo update-grub
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-36-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-36-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

Startup manager doesn't work anymore, grub-customizer does, changing the timeout at non zero value and the hidden timeout as false, i belive.
And you can push ESC at boot to see Grub.

Anyway, if Grub shows, but the new kernel not, you gotta broken grub.

How did you install Mint, it's an upgrade ?
If you copied the terminal, the output is telling about menu.lst, not more used from Grub2.

macrobbair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macrobbair »

I had a similar problem, try following from both logout and quit, also try the lid of the computer open closed ajar....

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

I think i solved soemthing.
I used grub-customizer instead of startup-manager and yes, it worked.
I switched the kernel with 4.4.038 instead of .4.4.036 and now it shuts down properly. I took a few tests and each time it was well.
I hope it stays like this :D.
But unfortunately no sound on jacks

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

As mentioned previously, Mint 18 does not use "menu.lst"
Did you try to re-install grub and accidentally installed Grub Legacy instead of Grub2 ?
Please post the result of:

apt-cache policy show grub grub-pc
Also, post the result of

inxi -S
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

grub:
Installed: 0.97-29ubuntu68
Candidate: 0.97-29ubuntu68
Version table:
*** 0.97-29ubuntu68 500
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
grub-pc:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.2
Version table:
2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.2 500
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3 500
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
N: Unable to locate package show

anger@X540SA ~ $ inxi -S
System: Host: X540SA Kernel: 4.4.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
P.S. I installed linux mint fresh, no upgrade, just used a live usb stick .

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am glad that the 4.4.038 kernel solved your shutdown problem.
However, I don't understand how you have grub 0.97 (Grub Legacy) installed, when Grub2 (grub-pc, Version 2.02) is the default in Mint 18.
I have installed Mint 18 at least a dozen times, and read dozens of forum discussions about Mint 18 with Grub2, and every instance refers to Grub2 - so my mind is boggled as to how you have something different from the norm.
If everything is working OK now, that is good, but if you ever need to upgrade grub, use the command:

sudo apt-get install grub-pc
One reason you might want to upgrade is if you want to dual-boot another linux OS which uses Grub2. Grub Legacy is not capable of handling that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

ranger077
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ranger077 »

Well in this pc I installed ( I tried at least) a few more versions of Linux such as Ubuntu 16 and other Linux mint editions until i found this one which is better than all of those.
I guess when i installed this mint 18 it found a previously installed grub and didn't change it because it was functional.
I first used "erase entire disk and install Ubuntu" option then i used "something else" option and perhaps thanks to this it remained a previous version of grub i think.
Anyway shutdown issue is solved, which was the most urgent problem. Touch pad sleep /disable and no sound on jack ......well i might solve them one day but they are not so urgent ,and I may leave them as they are for now, even tough it can be just another kernel unsupported feature.

Return to “Hardware Support”