(SOLVED) Horizontal line on screen - hardware?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Longbottom
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Horizontal line on screen - hardware?

Post by Longbottom »

Hi again! I seem to be running into problems often lately. I just bought an HP laptop today (HP 250 G4, intel i3) and started it up. Since I bought one without windows, I installed Mint 18 MATE 64-bit immediately. It didn't take long until I noticed a thin horizontal line stretching right over the whole screen. It is very thin, and seems to take reverse colour. When the colour behind is dark, it becomes gray, when it's blue, the line is purple, etc. It is hardly visible when the part of the screen where the line is is completely black or white.

The line doesn't move, but stays in the same place. It is there, although slightly weaker, in boot menu and BIOS setup (that it's slightly weaker might be due to the background being completely black). When I plug in my external monitor there is no line at all.

So what do you think, is it a hardware issue? And what tests could I perform to see if it is software related? In that case I'll take it back to the shop and have it fixed.
Last edited by Longbottom on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Horizontal line on screen - hardware?

Post by richyrich »

1) Test: Does the same thing happen when you run the Live Mint DVD or USB ? Or any other Live Operating System ?

2) If Yes: Take that system back right away, it reads like there is a hardware problem with the laptop's screen.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please boot in recovery mode, as you have successfully installed mint. See if you can run terminal commands which wont require any gui.

Are you getting the grub menu when you reboot.
Check the integrity of your iso image.
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Longbottom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Longbottom »

Thanks for the replies! I ran it from USB just now, and the line was still there (kind of thin and florescent). Everything seems to work fine, I just have that line there whatever I do (it's there even in boot menu and when the screen is dark, although very faint). So I guess I'll have to take it back and have it fixed in the shop. But thanks a lot for the help!

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

You are welcome. Looks like hatdware problem.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Longbottom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (SOLVED) Horizontal line on screen - hardware?

Post by Longbottom »

Thanks for the help! I took the machine back to the shop, and they exchanged it without a question (well, they had just sold the last they had, so they ordered a new one from the distributor - I'll have it tomorrow or Tuesday).

Return to “Hardware Support”