[SOLVED] Bluetooth speakers added, but won't connect (so no sound)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Bluetooth speakers added, but won't connect (so no sound)

Post by br1anstorm »

I have Mint 17.3 on my laptop. It has the "Blueman" Bluetooth manager.

I have two Bluetooth portable stereo speaker units. One is the "Hive" by Kitsounds; the other is an SBL 44 A1. Mint 17.3 and Blueman don't seem able to work with either.

In a nutshell - using Blueman, both are detected, although the "Hive" speakers are identified as a headset. I can set Blueman to "trust" both of them. But when I try to connect with either, I get the message, "device added, but failed to connect". So of course no sound comes through the Bluetooth speakers. I have tried setting up and connecting either as 'Headset Service' or as 'A2DP Sink (Send Audio)'. Neither makes a connection. The Blueman GUI also shows the message "Connection failed: Stream setup failed".

Both the portable Bluetooth speakers are operating properly. My mobile phone (running Android Lollipop) detects and connects to either of them without problems.

I have browsed threads in the forum, iincluding this one viewtopic.php?f=49&t=229725&p=1214819 . Most seem to end up quoting lengthy command-line code which means absolutely nothing to me.

Is there a simple guide, or set of troubleshooting checks, on the use of the Blueman manager which will result in it working - as it presumably ought to - without having to do extensive editing or rewriting of code?
Last edited by br1anstorm on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Bluetooth speakers added, but won't connect (so no sound)

Post by JeremyB »

Open terminal and enter

Code: Select all

pactl list short | grep bluetooth
Post results
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Ok, did that. This is what I get

brian@BS-Samsung-RF511 ~ $ pactl list short | grep bluetooth
6	module-bluetooth-policy		
brian@BS-Samsung-RF511 ~ $ 
Does that reveal anything?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It does, you need another module to use audio devices

pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
Then connect with your device and see if it works
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks Jeremy. Have just tried that.

No change. The two Bluetooth speaker units still show up in Bluetooth manager, but when I try to connect with either, I get the same message: "connection failed".
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Delete the pairing and then pair again
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Aha.... progress, but only a little!

I deleted the speaker, then searched and paired again, then tried to connect.

Blueman now says it's connected (complete with orange, green and blue symbols in the GUI). But no sound comes out of the speaker. The blue light is only flashing on the Bluetooth speaker (when properly connected - eg to my phone - it is lit continuously). The music, when I play it, still comes out of the laptop's own speakers.

Do I deduce that this means I somehow have to manually switch over the sound 'output' to go through the Bluetooth speakers? I know that when I plug headphones into the relevant socket, this automatically cuts out the onboard speakers and puts the sound through the 'phones.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You may need to go into Sound Settings and change the output to your bluetooth headphones

Sound settings should be available by right clicking on the speaker in the notification bar
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks again Jeremy.

This time I'm ahead of you! Since I wondered if this was a route to explore, I had already taken a look at Sound Settings. The interesting thing is - it only shows two sound output 'ports': the built-in laptop speakers, and the headphone socket into which I can plug wired headphones or indeed a wired speaker setup. And when I plug something into that little socket, it automatically cuts the sound from the laptop speakers and puts it through to the external wired device.

But there's no sign anywhere in the Sound Settings of the Bluetooth speakers, when connected, as an alternative output. So no scope to switch the sound through to them.

I have to say I'm not desperate to use the Bluetooth speakers with my laptop. But I'm a little surprised that it seems so difficult to set this up with Linux Mint (especially as my Android phone can do so with one click!)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Which DE are you using? Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE

I have used Cinnamon since LM16 and the bluetooth manager worked good enough

Please post results for

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net; lsusb; dmesg | egrep -i 'blue|firm'
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Sorry, perhaps I should have mentioned my DE at the beginning. I'm using XFCE.

Result of that latest command-line in terminal is as follows (I think I captured the complete answer....)

brian@BS-Samsung-RF511 ~ $ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net; lsusb; dmesg | egrep -i 'blue|firm'
01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Wistron NeWeb Corp. Device [185f:051a]
	Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
	Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device [144d:c0a5]
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0a5c:219c Broadcom Corp. 
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bc2:231a Seagate RSS LLC 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 2232:1008 Silicon Motion 
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
[    0.131160] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
[    2.021356] usb 4-1.3: Product: Broadcom BCM2070 Bluetooth Device
[   16.944297] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.20
[   16.944319] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[   16.944323] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[   16.944326] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[   16.944337] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[   19.652666] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   19.652669] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   19.652673] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[   19.653869] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[   19.653876] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[   19.653881] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Bump....

It's not that I'm desperate to resolve this problem, but I just thought it would be good to get some feedback, or analysis, of the details that showed up in response to that last command which JeremyB asked me to run.
hrmcrm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hrmcrm »

Install PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) and see if the bluetooth speakers are shown in its output tab. I had to use pavu to get sound to bluetooth headphones.
Howard
ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks, Howard, for that suggestion.

In fact I already have Pulse Audio Volume Control (pavucontrol): it was obviously part of the original/default installation, and it is what opens when I click the "sound settings" option from the loudspeaker icon in bottom right of my screen taskbar.

When I open it, only the built-in laptop speakers and the headphone socket show up under "output devices". No sign of any Bluetooth devices. So the mystery, and the problem, remains. I must say I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that Mint - having evolved as far as v17.3 - can't manage Bluetooth connections more efficiently. Is it a serious and widespread issue?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Been a while since I used LM 17 but I would try

pactl load-module module-bluez4-device
Then delete the pairing and pair again then see if you can get audio
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks Jeremy....

I'm prepared to experiment - up to a point - with Bluetooth options, although having read quite a lot of forum posts about Bluetooth problems with Mint and indeed with Ubuntu/Linux more widely, I'm a little nervous about trying things in case it screws up other aspects of my system (which in general works perfectly). I have read some horror stories about efforts to resolve Bluetooth problems which result in the Linux equivalent of the BSOD.

Just a simple query: isn't "bluez" an alternative to "blueman"? Since I already have blueman as - supposedly - my Bluetooth manager, won't installing (part of) bluez risk causing conflict? Thought I should ask before going ahead.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Bluez is actually what the kernel uses as a bluetooth stack and is already installed. Blueman is just a GUI user interface. The command has more to do with a pulseaudio module that should be loaded, pactl= pulseaudio control. I just checked an Ubuntu 14.04 install and the module I mentioned doesn't seem to exist, so the command should return "module not found"

Then again you may just have to trust the speaker in Blueman to be able to use it for sound output
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks again Jeremy. So I went ahead with that command. Got the reply "Failure: Module initialisation failed". Which I guess means it's not there?

As for "trusting" .... I had marked my Bluetooth external speaker as trusted when I first searched and paired it - and have tried un-trusting and re-trusting it. Doesn't seem to make any difference! Blueman sees it, pairs with it, but no sound comes through it and it doesn't show up in the Pulse Audio Volume Control sound settings as an output device. So I'm still baffled. Do I have to conclude that fro some mysterious reason Mint 17.3 just doesn't play nicely with Bluetooth devices?
hrmcrm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hrmcrm »

I forgot a step. In the Pulse Audio Volume Control sound settings window, go to the Configuration tab. Hopefully, there is a profile shown for the paired speakers. The profile is probably set to "Off". Click the down arrow at the right of the profile bar and select something like "High Fidelity Playback". The Output Devices tab should then show the speakers.

That is what I had to do to get sound to bluetooth headphones with Mint 18 KDE 64-bit.
Howard
hrmcrm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hrmcrm »

Just had another go at using bluetooth headphones. This time in the Pulse Audio Volume Control sound settings window, in the Configuration tab, I had to set the Built-in Audio profile to "Off" to switch the sound to the headphones.

Seems to be inconsistent in settings to get sound where I want it, but something manages to work after enough prodding.
Howard

Return to “Hardware Support”