New laptop time, will it work with linux (mint)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JackDinn

New laptop time, will it work with linux (mint)

Post by JackDinn »

Hi, its time for a new laptop for me but iv got "choice fatigue" from trying to figure what i want and then if it will work with linux.

ATM im looking at

DELL INSPIRON 17 5759 i5-6200 2.8GHz 8GB/1TB AMD 4GB Radeon Full HD 1920x1080
Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 17.3" Full HD 1080 i5 8GB, 64GB SSD+1TB HD
Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Laptop | i5-7200U 17.3"Full HD 8GB RAM 1TB HDD

I see quite a lot of inspirons in the certified lists (ubuntu, mint, deb) but not these specific ones. Can anyone confirm that linux in general (mint specifically) will be ok? I tend to throw all sorts of distros at my current laptop but its just about at its end of life :(.

I think skylake is supported now? Im having some trouble finding the specific chipset for the wifi on these but i believe its intel so should be ok?

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
loubapache

Re: New laptop time, will it work with linux (mint)

Post by loubapache »

There is no reply.
I have a 2013 Inspiron 17R-5721 and it works perfectly. I did remember I had to do something with the Secure Boot and then I can wipe the hard drive and install Linux.
Four years later, I am again looking for a 17" laptop for Linux Mint and would like to hear from others. Brand and price does not matter as long as there will be no issues installing Linux.

Thanks.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

loubapache wrote:There is no reply.
I have a 2013 Inspiron 17R-5721 and it works perfectly. I did remember I had to do something with the Secure Boot and then I can wipe the hard drive and install Linux.
Four years later, I am again looking for a 17" laptop for Linux Mint and would like to hear from others. Brand and price does not matter as long as there will be no issues installing Linux.

Thanks.
Please see https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
JackDinn

Post by JackDinn »

Hi. I ended up getting the Inspiron-5767 i5 1TB 17" 8GB

It all works fine with Linux, even the secure-boot and UEFI did not have to be tinkered with for most distros as they mostly seem to work now.

The only thing I would say could be better with this Inspiron is the keyboard, it's a bit cheap and could be supported better from beneath. Other than that no problems with linux at all.

Good luck with it :)
loubapache

Post by loubapache »

Thanks, Jack. That is the one I am going to get as well.

It is good to hear it works nicely. My 17R has great build quality (aluminum chassis) and the newer 17 might have cheapen a bit. We really do not have much choice.

Thanks again.

Return to “Hardware Support”