Way To Determine What System Hardware Drivers Get Installed During Installlation?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Way To Determine What System Hardware Drivers Get Installed During Installlation?

Post by miketurn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was wonder if there was a way to determine what system hardware drivers get installed and if there is a way to prevent certain ones from getting installed.
I have a couple of questions about this general topic....
(Keep in mind that I am viewing things more from a Windows perspective, I know Linux is different, but I am used to certain things)

1.) Can you determine what hardware drivers get installed during an installation of LInux Mint?

2.) Is there an option that shows a list of hardware and the drivers Linux Mint has installed with the option to disable items?
For example, coming from a Windows world, you have the ability to see what drivers are installed and you can disable them if desired.

I am sure some will ask for what purpose I am asking these questions.
I don't have a huge reason, but curious about how Linux Mint handles drivers.
Like what if you have within your system a piece of hardware that is outdated, such as a telephone based dial up modem that you don't want to be recognized?
Or, sometimes motherboards have other hardware on them that you don't want to be recognized.

3.) That being said, sometimes for example, Intel motherboards have some hardware / chipset / etc things (Shown in Windows OS), that you don't want to have the drivers installed for, how does Linux Mint handle these items when it comes to drivers?

I recently posted a question about if there was any way to be able to choose what programs get installed during installation and it seems like there is no way to change it, so I would imagine that drivers getting installed would be no different, you kind of get what you get.

Again these things may be more Windows OS type items, but the options to determine what drivers and also what software/programs get installed upon Linux Mint installation, may be nice additions to add to the OS someday, if others agree.

Thank You to anyone who reads this.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Way To Determine What System Hardware Drivers Get Installed During Installlation?

Post by Distro-Don » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:42 pm

I agree! These sound like good ideas to me. I think that there are many programs that get installed which I (and others) will never use.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Way To Determine What System Hardware Drivers Get Installed During Installlation?

Post by jimallyn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Well, I have a partial answer to question 2: The command lsmod will list which kernel modules (drivers) are installed. And modprobe can be used to insert and remove modules from the kernel. I got this information by entering apropos module in a terminal and followed the trail, using man lsmod and man modprobe to get more info on them.

There is also inxi, which will list a lot of things about your hardware and software. It has a bunch of different options; the ones I see most often used are inxi -Fxz, which tells the gurus much of what they need to know to help solve a problem you might have.

There is also System Profiler and Benchmark, which you will find in the Menu under administration. I'm sure there is more stuff available, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 pm

What Jimallyn said!
Other things might be in "apps".
Through "software manager" look at he full repository and search for names of hardware, like the modem, and uninstall the app if it is checked. :?
I think it is all about choice!

miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miketurn » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Thank You Guys For Your Responses,

See things like that would be nice to have a visual representation of somewhere in Linux Mint System Settings.
I realize that the creators of Linux Mint might not want this information available to general users, but being able to have a graphical view of the software you have on your system and the drivers installed I feel would be nice to see.
Using the terminal to acheive this is not very convenient and many things get overly abbreviated there, so I don't really know what I am looking at sometimes.

I did not find the System Profiler or Benchmark you mention, I am using Cinnamon, are these found in a different release?
I looked them up in the Software Manager and didn't find them there either?

I have only messed around with what you have said for a couple minutes but I found an interesting example to share.

I don't think I have an internal bluetooth device on my computer, when I go into the "Bluetooth" in the System Settings it says no bluetooth devices are found.
If I look at the list generated by "lsmod" it shows the item "bluetooth" and there is an item in the "used by category"
I then tried the other adviced recommended, by going into the Software Manager and typing keyword "bluetooth" and it shows Cinnamon-Bluetooth is installed
I uninstalled it
Now when I go into System Settings the Bluetooth Setting Icon is no longer there, which makes sense.
Now when I run "lsmod" again the "bluetooth" item is still there on the list?
I have not tried yet to remove it with the "mobprobe" you mentioned, but it is odd that it is still there.

I would like to learn a little more about this so if anyone has any more information they can share, it would be appreciated.
Thanks Again to everyone who reads this

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 pm

miketurn wrote: I did not find the System Profiler or Benchmark you mention, I am using Cinnamon, are these found in a different release?
I looked them up in the Software Manager and didn't find them there either?
Aha, I see what the deal is. System Profiler and Benchmark is not installed by default. To install it, you have to install hardinfo, which Mint then calls System Profiler and Benchmark in the Administration Menu. Use Software Manager or Synaptic to install hardinfo and then you will find System Profiler and Benchmark. Not sure why they did it that way.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miketurn » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Thank You for your response jimallyn.
Okay now I see that option, I have gave it a quick look, that is a pretty cool piece of software, wish it allowed you to turn things on and off from it.
I will admit all the information generated by the methods you mentioned is a little overwhelming to me at the moment, but it is a great starting point and I believe will be very helpful. It is just going to take me a little while to figure out what is important to keep and what isn't. LIke I said though very helpful of you, I would have never of thought of these methods.

Also Thank You Tomgin5.
I have used the Software Manager approach with software, but didn't really think about using it for drivers.

If anyone has any other information to share please let me know.
This is very helpful.

As I mentioned hopefully GUI based items for this and one for viewing the software installed by Mint will be features one day implented into the OS by default, allowing users to be a little more in control over such things.

Return to “Hardware Support”